“Good hotel, great condition and amenities, expensive overall.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Papetoai
New York City, New York
“Good hotel, great condition and amenities, expensive overall.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

We stayed 5 nights using points. I was hoping that my Ambassador status would do something as far an upgraded room, but we were promptly informed at check in that because we had used points, we would not get any benefits. Sure we enough, we got exactly what we paid for, a basic "king" room in the main building.

The goods: The resort is large and nicely laid out over a fair amount of land. There is the main area with the pools, bar and beach area as well as several small beach areas along which there are bungalows and channels to snorkel in. The buildings are in great shape and appear to be in good maintenance. The design of the main lobby area itself feels fresh and in great condition. The people are very friendly, in fact, everyone on the island seems to be friendly.

The pools are modern and look as if they are brand new, and there are plenty of chairs around the pool and beach, many of them shaded without losing any view or open feeling, very nicely done. There is a dock with kayaks, paddle boards, jet skis, and several types of boats for other activities and dive boats as well.

The best part of this resort to me is the ocean, the water is perfect and I am the kind of person that needs warm water. The beach is a little rocky as you work your way in and there is a lot of coral close to the shore, but other than treading lightly or wearing water shoes, nothing too serious. There is a protective barrier reef around most of the island so in essence you are swimming in a large lagoon protected from the open ocean. This is definitely my favorite feature of the islands.

Happy hour consists exactly of one hour and you get buy one-get one drinks. You can only get one free drink per person and at the slow pace, you would not be getting more even if you drank really fast.

This brings me to the bad: prices... you hear how expensive things are and this is more of a reflection on the whole country(islands) and not an indictment of the resort itself so much. As someone has said in the reviews, the resort is about a 30 minute ride from the ferry terminal and a taxi costs 4500 XPF which is about $52 USD. Everything in the hotel is expensive, from the food to the drinks. We did not venture into the restaurant for any meals, luckily there is a small store at the entrance of the hotel (across the street) where you can get a baguette and some deli meats, as well as cookies and chips and drinks. There is also a small food market about a 10 minute walk to the right of the hotel which has a larger food selection including some hot prepared foods.

We did have a pizza at happy meal and also a mahi mahi burger and they were both very good but that was the only food that we purchased at the hotel. While on the subject of prices, the kayaks are free for two hours and then they charge supposedly. We used our for very close to two hours. There are also jetskis which are very expensive (about $100 for an hour) and in 5 days of being there we only saw them used twice for an hour. If the prices were lower, I would have used them, but alas hotels always feel that they have to charge as much as possible and catch only a few fish from time to time. Stand up paddle boards were not free, so we did not try those either.

I noticed also that not many people were drinking around the pool throughout the day. Most people had their own bottle of water or chips and other foods. Only a few people would eat at the bar throughout the day. So we were not the only ones unhappy with the high prices.

So overall, the resort itself is great, and can be a great location to hang out and relax. We have no desire to go back as there isn't much to do on the island and we don't like to spend days just hanging by the pool. We did notice that most people seemed to be on their honeymoon or anniversary and that would be a great reason to splurge. Personally this is not a once in a lifetime trip, but just one of several trips this year so we prefer to be frugal.

As far as the room itself, the bed was not a true king, but more in the European version of two doubles put together, and they were very hard. The room was nicely furnished, but dark and the air conditioning unit got noisy in the higher settings (speeds 2 and 3 out of 3) We did receive a welcome gift of a pineapple and water was replaced daily (2 bottles) which was really appreciated. We tried to eat on the lanai, but because the breeze is blocked by bungalows, we got bit by mosquitoes, even with cream on. Also, the people on both sides of us were smokers and often would force us into the room with their smoke.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Thierry B, General Manager at InterContinental Resort & Spa Moorea, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Dear Guests,
Ia Orana from Moorea!
First of all, thank you for choosing the Intercontinental Moorea for your visit to our beautiful island.
Courtesy, kindness and authenticity are key aspects of the Polynesian culture and I am happy that you were able to witness for yourself that their reputation is not a myth!
Thank again for taking the time to write this comment.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
El Cajon, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

We stayed here for three days and had a wonderful time. The pool area is incredible ! We also stayed at the Hilton and the pool are her was superior ! We did not have breakfast included which would be nice. We stayed in an OWB and had a wonderful time. The resort is about a 30 minute cab ride from the dock and cost us $ 4,500 francs-- hit the ATM before your leave the docks. There are very few ATM's on Moorea. The food and service were excellent.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Rob,
Ia Orana from Moorea!
Thank you for your kind comment.
We are very happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Hopefully see you again one day!
Warm regards,
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

I stayed at the resort for 5 nights post-cruise - my second stay in 3 years.

Firstly, I would like to thank reception for again upgrading me to an OWB. I am a loyal Gold Ambassador member, but this upgrade was over and above what I expected. I'm sure I would have enjoyed the stay regardless of the room type, but there is nothing better than dropping the ladder and snorkeling off your own deck.

The concierge desk is excellent - especially Pierre who is always so welcoming and helpful.

The rooms are clean and well appointed, but you have to cut the staff some slack re when rooms are cleaned, luggage collected etc because the resort is spaced over such a large area. Room service prices are fairly prohibitive for a solo traveller. The free wi-fi you receive as an IHG member is invaluable.

The property itself is beautiful, and the sunsets from the bridges that join the bungalows are spectacular.

The food is okay in Fare Hana or the pool bar, but I can't say enough good things about the food at Fare Nui. I had a main meal one night, which was superb, so I went without lunch the last day and saved myself for a 3 course meal. Wow! I wish I could remember the dozens of ingredients that went into making my dinner, but basically it was a scallop entree, a beef main and a white chocolate and meringue dessert. It really was an exceptionally good meal.

The only thing that lets the resort down is the restaurant staff. Both times I have stayed at IC Moorea I felt like even the most basic restaurant service is a major chore for the staff. I am not a demanding customer, but even politely asking for milk for my tea after dinner seemed like an unreasonable request. It is a real shame, because the food is first rate.

If you are looking for a great souvenir for yourself or a friend, the 'make your own pareo' on the beach near the pool bar is good fun. You design your pareo in the sand using cut-outs, choose your colours, and the pareo lady will produce your own personalised pareo while you wait.

I would recommend this hotel as a lovely add-on or a dedicated holiday. Just make sure you hire a car or budget for expensive taxi fares to and from the ferry terminal as it is a fair distance away.

PS. For those worried about the captive dolphins - please don't. I am acutely aware of animal welfare and conservation, but on a previous trip I became a 'Trainer for a Day' and spent about 5 hours with the trainers and the dolphins. I had no concerns about their welfare after this experience. The dolphins are much loved, and well cared for.

Room Tip: A Gold Ambassador membership is a must if you are visiting Tahiti - there are so many lovely IC prop...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Thierry B, General Manager at InterContinental Resort & Spa Moorea, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Dear Guest,
Ia Orana from Moorea!

Thank you so much for your loyalty and for the lovely comments.
Obviously you know the resort very well and one can feel the atmosphere and the friendlyness in the narration.
We are indeed priviledged to be in such a beautiful property and this is further enhanced by our staffs' efforts to make our guests feel special.
I will pass your compliments to Pierre. He has been with us for over 10 years and take great care of our clients.
Thanking you again, I hope to see you on your next trip.
With my warm regards,
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

Such a beautiful resort! The grounds are beautiful, the beach is incredible, the accommodations were delightful, we had the best two days here and we'd go back again and again if the opportunity came up! Our bungalow was well appointed and we were very comfortable during our all too brief stay! Despite the fact that there are many bungalows, we had privacy and felt very comfortable sitting out on our balcony over the water. We thoroughly enjoyed getting into the water off our deck and spent several hours over two days swimming and snorkeling. There were lots of tropical fish and it was fun to swim amongst them! The water was clear and warm and the beaches were gorgeous! The outdoor shower on the deck was a nice touch, it was great to be able to shower off after getting out of the water.

We had burgers for lunch and they were pretty good. For dinner we ate at the outdoor restaurant, the service was good and the food was okay. We ordered the continental breakfast to be delivered to our bungalow and, while it was a little on the pricey side, it was a one time event and we thoroughly enjoyed dining out on our deck as the sun was coming up - a gorgeous way to enjoy one's breakfast!

We come from a country that has very strict smoking laws, so it was somewhat surprising to us that ashtrays were everywhere and people smoked during dinner, etc. It wouldn't deter us from going back, we're just not used to it so it came as a bit of a surprise!

This is a gorgeous resort, if you have the opportunity to stay here, I'm sure you wouldn't be disappointed. There are gorgeous swimming pools including an infinity pool, lots of lounges and beach towels, the staff were friendly and helpful - it's a beautiful resort in gorgeous surroundings.

Dear Victoria
Ia Orana from Moorea!
What a pleasure to read such a beautiful comment.
Find the opportunity to come back for another stay with us ... we are waiting.

Mauururu roa

With my warm regards,
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

That was our honey moon. And we really loved that hotel. Our bungalow was placed over water. Lagoon we had under was really beautiful with a lot of colorful fishes and some friendly sharks.

As a honbey moon gift we recieved from hotel a small bottle of champagne.

During our stay we were using a tennis court for playing and it's was free of charge. Food there was not so special but still good.

We did programm apnea with dolphins (swimming under watr with them). It's was nice but a little bit too expansive as we been sharing dolphin for 4 person. Then also we had problems with pictures they gave us after it. They didn't put on usb my husband's main pictures with dolphin.. And we were trying to contact dolphin center from out hometown to ask for that photos but nobody answer to us.. That's was only bad moment in our stay in this hotel.

Service was nice and was bungalow very clean and very beautiful. Stuff was kindly and helpful

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thierry B, General Manager at InterContinental Resort & Spa Moorea, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Dear Vera,
Ia Orana from Moorea!
Thank you for your beautiful comment.
I am happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Regarding your programm at the Moorea Dolphin Center, I recommend you to contact them directly by mail because this is a prestataire of our Hotel and rest assured that they will find a solution for your pictures.
We hope to see you back one day.
Kind regards,
canberra
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

We first came to visit the dolphin centre which was a long time dream finally come true! We loved the resort so much we came back again the very next day. The resort was more than happy for us to eat, drink and swim to our hearts content. The bungalows looked lovely and we will definitely be coming back to Moorea and staying here the next time we make it to Tahiti! Even the bus trip from the ferry terminal was delightful, the whole island is just gorgeous. Heaven on a stick!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Ia Orana from Moorea!
Thank you for your beautiful comment and for your encouragement.
We look forward to welcoming you back to our small piece of Paradise …
Kind regards,
PHX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

Staying at the InterContinental was wonderful. From the moment we arrived, the check in process was like non other before. They had us take a seat in the lounge and they brought us some tropical drinks then a clip board to write down all our info for the room and gave us a mobile phone and said they would call us to inform us when our room was ready and to go enjoy the property. When we arrived at our room the smell of fresh tropical flowers filled the beautiful room. The grounds are lush and the pools are beautiful. They have a additional pool since our last visit. We so enjoyed the turtle refuse and also the dolphins. Being able to snorkel right outside your room was fun too. We enjoyed using the kayaks and paddle boards that are included with your stay. Food was wonderful there too. So much to do in so little time!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thierry B, General Manager at InterContinental Resort & Spa Moorea, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Dear Guests,
Ia Orana from Moorea!
Thank you for your beautiful comment.
We are very happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you have taken back with you some wonderful memories.
Start planning your next trip for to discover new activities… we are waiting!
Best sunny regards,

Been to InterContinental Resort & Spa Moorea? Share your experiences!