“Another wonderful stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 hotels in Papetoai
Perth, Australia
“Another wonderful stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2014

I stayed at the resort for 5 nights post-cruise - my second stay in 3 years.

Firstly, I would like to thank reception for again upgrading me to an OWB. I am a loyal Gold Ambassador member, but this upgrade was over and above what I expected. I'm sure I would have enjoyed the stay regardless of the room type, but there is nothing better than dropping the ladder and snorkeling off your own deck.

The concierge desk is excellent - especially Pierre who is always so welcoming and helpful.

The rooms are clean and well appointed, but you have to cut the staff some slack re when rooms are cleaned, luggage collected etc because the resort is spaced over such a large area. Room service prices are fairly prohibitive for a solo traveller. The free wi-fi you receive as an IHG member is invaluable.

The property itself is beautiful, and the sunsets from the bridges that join the bungalows are spectacular.

The food is okay in Fare Hana or the pool bar, but I can't say enough good things about the food at Fare Nui. I had a main meal one night, which was superb, so I went without lunch the last day and saved myself for a 3 course meal. Wow! I wish I could remember the dozens of ingredients that went into making my dinner, but basically it was a scallop entree, a beef main and a white chocolate and meringue dessert. It really was an exceptionally good meal.

The only thing that lets the resort down is the restaurant staff. Both times I have stayed at IC Moorea I felt like even the most basic restaurant service is a major chore for the staff. I am not a demanding customer, but even politely asking for milk for my tea after dinner seemed like an unreasonable request. It is a real shame, because the food is first rate.

If you are looking for a great souvenir for yourself or a friend, the 'make your own pareo' on the beach near the pool bar is good fun. You design your pareo in the sand using cut-outs, choose your colours, and the pareo lady will produce your own personalised pareo while you wait.

I would recommend this hotel as a lovely add-on or a dedicated holiday. Just make sure you hire a car or budget for expensive taxi fares to and from the ferry terminal as it is a fair distance away.

PS. For those worried about the captive dolphins - please don't. I am acutely aware of animal welfare and conservation, but on a previous trip I became a 'Trainer for a Day' and spent about 5 hours with the trainers and the dolphins. I had no concerns about their welfare after this experience. The dolphins are much loved, and well cared for.

Room Tip: A Gold Ambassador membership is a must if you are visiting Tahiti - there are so many lovely IC prop...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Thierry B, General Manager at InterContinental Resort & Spa Moorea, responded to this review, May 16, 2014
Dear Guest,
Ia Orana from Moorea!

Thank you so much for your loyalty and for the lovely comments.
Obviously you know the resort very well and one can feel the atmosphere and the friendlyness in the narration.
We are indeed priviledged to be in such a beautiful property and this is further enhanced by our staffs' efforts to make our guests feel special.
I will pass your compliments to Pierre. He has been with us for over 10 years and take great care of our clients.
Thanking you again, I hope to see you on your next trip.
With my warm regards,

1,075 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

Such a beautiful resort! The grounds are beautiful, the beach is incredible, the accommodations were delightful, we had the best two days here and we'd go back again and again if the opportunity came up! Our bungalow was well appointed and we were very comfortable during our all too brief stay! Despite the fact that there are many bungalows, we had privacy and felt very comfortable sitting out on our balcony over the water. We thoroughly enjoyed getting into the water off our deck and spent several hours over two days swimming and snorkeling. There were lots of tropical fish and it was fun to swim amongst them! The water was clear and warm and the beaches were gorgeous! The outdoor shower on the deck was a nice touch, it was great to be able to shower off after getting out of the water.

We had burgers for lunch and they were pretty good. For dinner we ate at the outdoor restaurant, the service was good and the food was okay. We ordered the continental breakfast to be delivered to our bungalow and, while it was a little on the pricey side, it was a one time event and we thoroughly enjoyed dining out on our deck as the sun was coming up - a gorgeous way to enjoy one's breakfast!

We come from a country that has very strict smoking laws, so it was somewhat surprising to us that ashtrays were everywhere and people smoked during dinner, etc. It wouldn't deter us from going back, we're just not used to it so it came as a bit of a surprise!

This is a gorgeous resort, if you have the opportunity to stay here, I'm sure you wouldn't be disappointed. There are gorgeous swimming pools including an infinity pool, lots of lounges and beach towels, the staff were friendly and helpful - it's a beautiful resort in gorgeous surroundings.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thierry B, General Manager at InterContinental Resort & Spa Moorea, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Dear Victoria
Ia Orana from Moorea!
What a pleasure to read such a beautiful comment.
Find the opportunity to come back for another stay with us ... we are waiting.

Mauururu roa

With my warm regards,
Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2014

That was our honey moon. And we really loved that hotel. Our bungalow was placed over water. Lagoon we had under was really beautiful with a lot of colorful fishes and some friendly sharks.

As a honbey moon gift we recieved from hotel a small bottle of champagne.

During our stay we were using a tennis court for playing and it's was free of charge. Food there was not so special but still good.

We did programm apnea with dolphins (swimming under watr with them). It's was nice but a little bit too expansive as we been sharing dolphin for 4 person. Then also we had problems with pictures they gave us after it. They didn't put on usb my husband's main pictures with dolphin.. And we were trying to contact dolphin center from out hometown to ask for that photos but nobody answer to us.. That's was only bad moment in our stay in this hotel.

Service was nice and was bungalow very clean and very beautiful. Stuff was kindly and helpful

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thierry B, General Manager at InterContinental Resort & Spa Moorea, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Dear Vera,
Ia Orana from Moorea!
Thank you for your beautiful comment.
I am happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Regarding your programm at the Moorea Dolphin Center, I recommend you to contact them directly by mail because this is a prestataire of our Hotel and rest assured that they will find a solution for your pictures.
We hope to see you back one day.
Kind regards,
canberra
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

We first came to visit the dolphin centre which was a long time dream finally come true! We loved the resort so much we came back again the very next day. The resort was more than happy for us to eat, drink and swim to our hearts content. The bungalows looked lovely and we will definitely be coming back to Moorea and staying here the next time we make it to Tahiti! Even the bus trip from the ferry terminal was delightful, the whole island is just gorgeous. Heaven on a stick!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Ia Orana from Moorea!
Thank you for your beautiful comment and for your encouragement.
We look forward to welcoming you back to our small piece of Paradise …
Kind regards,
PHX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2014

Staying at the InterContinental was wonderful. From the moment we arrived, the check in process was like non other before. They had us take a seat in the lounge and they brought us some tropical drinks then a clip board to write down all our info for the room and gave us a mobile phone and said they would call us to inform us when our room was ready and to go enjoy the property. When we arrived at our room the smell of fresh tropical flowers filled the beautiful room. The grounds are lush and the pools are beautiful. They have a additional pool since our last visit. We so enjoyed the turtle refuse and also the dolphins. Being able to snorkel right outside your room was fun too. We enjoyed using the kayaks and paddle boards that are included with your stay. Food was wonderful there too. So much to do in so little time!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thierry B, General Manager at InterContinental Resort & Spa Moorea, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Dear Guests,
Ia Orana from Moorea!
Thank you for your beautiful comment.
We are very happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you have taken back with you some wonderful memories.
Start planning your next trip for to discover new activities… we are waiting!
Best sunny regards,
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2014

Stayed here for our 10yr Anniversary this April and can say it's the best on the island. I booked a package using both hotels from Tahiti and Moorea. There are many levels to this resort for you to chose, but the Ambassador Program will upgrade your stay and we'll worth it, plus some small gifts for members. All bungalows are roughly the same size. Garden, beach, standard OWB or premium OWB. It really comes down to views and pricing. If Im lucky enough to get back here I will be staying in a beach bungalow to save the money. Some OWB are very shallow over the reef. We were lucky to have a deep water OWB 615. It was the best for me for paddling to the surf break and snorkeling. So here are some tips for staying here. Buy snacks and drinks from little store outside of hotel to the right, takes 5min to walk there. Rent a car while on the island. $80 a day to get around and it's very easy driving cause average speed is 35. Go to Hilton for sunset cocktails and crepes and see the sharks at nite. Kayak out to the sandbar in front of pool to swim with sharks and rays. You will see the tourist boats there. It's a 5min easy paddle and bring your underwater camera. Kayaks are free to hotel guest. Must go to Lagoonararium on the other side of island for best snorkeling. Go early in the morning, before trade winds pick up. You will be dropped off on a sliver of an island that Wilfred has made into a small paradise. Bring snorkel gear, underwater camera, and snack and drinks. He does provide all of this for free. He does two shows/fish feelings that you have to see. It will be the highlight of your trip. All food on the island is very expensive. Do not be shocked at $100 lunches if you have only a couple cocktails, even when eating off the resort. The Moorea Beach Cafe is great and along the beach towards Cooks Bay. 20-30min easy drive from hotel. Daniel Pizza is a 15min drive from hotel and we'll worth it. If you drive at nite keep going you'll get there. It's a small house outside of town. La Canadien has the best burgers on the island. And I dare you to order a double. LaTipeniers is 5min from hotel and will pick you up for pretty good Italian. Are friends ate at the Mayfrower and said it was really good but pricey. Having a car allowed us to see the other hotels. Had a drink in everyone and did a couples message at Hilton. I would stay at the Intercontinental first, Sofetil second, Hilton third, Pearl last. The other three have true OWBs, but I think that was the beauty of ICM is the little islands. Hope this helps in your stay. I stayed here 5 nights with three in Tahiti. Next time all of them will be here. And a quick thanks to the hotel staff and management. You made our trip that much better. Especially Manager Aurelien for being a great host and help when I needed it.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thierry B, General Manager at InterContinental Resort & Spa Moorea, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Dear Guest,
Ia Orana from Moorea!

First of all, thank you for your detailed review which surely will be valuable to many future visitors of our Hotel.
I have posted your message in every department and everyone was very happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Mauruuru roa
Looking forward to welcome you one day.
Warm regards,
Wednesbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

We stayed at this resort for 5 nights, everything was beyond our imagination, staff were excellent especially pierre at concierge, breakfast buffet was out of this world especially their fruit salad. They also had free wifi throughout the resort which was very fantastic. The pool was clean, as were the rooms. Highly recommended, would definitely visit this resort and the island again for its breathtaking scenery.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Thierry B, General Manager at InterContinental Resort & Spa Moorea, responded to this review, April 23, 2014
Dear Guests,
Ia Orana from Moorea!
Thank you very much for your lovely comments.
It was a pleasure to welcome you to our "small piece of Paradise" and we are delighted to hear you have brought home with you such special memories.
I will pass your compliment in all our departments particulary at Pierre.
We hope to see you back one day.
Until then take care.
Warm regards,

Been to InterContinental Resort & Spa Moorea? Share your experiences!