“Pretty good.” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
San Francisco, California, United States
“Pretty good.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

We stayed here after 4 nights at another budget resort so initial impression was this was absolutely lovely and clean. We were given a glass of juice on arrival. Nice touch.
We had a few issues with the room which i wrote to the hotel about once we returned and I am pleased they responded in a timely and fair manner.
We had a beach bungalow which was great. Kids could swim in the lagoon and we could see them from our deck. They did not enjoy the lagoon due to the large number of "Spotted Worm Sea Cucumber" lying in the water. Wish they were not there....Yuck! (averse to anything resembling snakes). Seeing the fish was amazing and so was the dolphin sanctuary. We took advantage of the free snorkel gear and took a ride to the nearby island (Motu). Enjoyable. They had a buffet/dinner performance which was too expensive (Everything in French Polynesia is expensive) but we enjoyed the show from the outdoor location we sat. I will commend the dinner staff of that night who accommodated us and 2 other families by helping us celebrate birthdays. It was impromptu and they brought us cake and candle to blow. It was very nice of them.
The concierge lady was helpful too and gave us good advice. This resort is exactly as I expected and I would not mind staying here again.
(Note: No kids club. No shops open on Sunday or lunchtime. Shopping center is 10-15 min walk. Smokers are everywhere, even restaurant.

Room Tip: Beach bungalow #400 was quiet and great if you have kids. Would not recommend OWB for those with you...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Thierry B, General Manager at InterContinental Resort & Spa Moorea, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Ia Orana from Moorea!
I would like to sincerely thank you for your comment.
I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.
It is always encouraging to hear that my staff is meeting expectations and every action is always sincere and genuine, making our little group of islands a very special place.
Hopefully see you again one day!
Warm regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (245)
LA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

We stayed here for 3 nights and explored the island of Moorea with guided jeep tours and dolphin/whale watching trips. The interior of the room was clean and the bathroom was recently renovated. The staff was friendly and welcoming. The resort itself is in mixed condition. The pool area has been recently renovated and is consistent with the InterContinental brand. However, some of the bungalows were quite aged on the outside, and showed signs of decay from the tropical weather. The resort is in an amazing location, very close to the sandbar where the tours take you to swim with sharks and rays. A few other guests actually kayaked out to the sandbar on their own, which would allow you to save the expense of paying for a guided boat trip. However, we also wanted to see whales (saw one breech off the east end of the island!) and the spinner dolphins (countless!) so we opted for the guided boat trip, arranged by the concierge with a local tour operator. A few other travelers said they got slightly better rates by contacting the tour operators independently, but we appreciated the convenience of booking in the lobby. You MUST take the time while in Moorea to travel to the Belvedere scenic lookout view of Mt. Rotui between the Cook and Opunohu bays. This view was worth the entire trip to French Polynesia. In addition, the Magic Mountain lookout is memorable in its steep ascent and precipitous perch overlooking the north lagoon. I do hope to return some day. We continued from here back to Tahiti for the final two days of our vacation.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Ia Orana from Moorea!
Thank you for choosing our Hotel for your visit to our beautiful island and for your comments.
You paint a very accurate and magical picture of Moorea. For all nature lovers, Moorea is indeed a very special place rich in Flora & Fauna but also culture and traditions.
Come back soon for another trip!
Kind sunny regards,
Phoenix AZ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2014

The front desk was very good and so was the concierge but the hotel restaurants were horrible. There was maintiance being done to the building our room was in the workers were talking loudly and yelling early in the morning. The excursions were nice but the people seemed not very enthusiastic. It wasn't as nice as bora bora but the people in the area were very nice! La Petite Village were very nice great pizza crepe place. Small shops were reasonable and nice.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments.
We are sorry to read that you had mixed feelings regarding your visit to Moorea.
We receive many comments praising the kindness, attentiveness and passionate attitude of its' population which is always so proud to share this majestic island with visitors.
Regarding the workers, whilst any hotel must at some point undertake maintenance work, it is undertaken as discretely as possible and any mishaps such as the one described is immediately addressed.
Sherwood Park, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

Terrible, terrible, terrible service.

I wish I could give an excellent review of this resort. I will walk through our experience. Greeted at the front desk with a warm welcome, taken to a seating area with a view of the resort, given a glass of juice each, asked to fill registration form, told that our greeter would be right back to explain the amenities of the resort. We waited. And waited, And waited. After 25 minutes, maybe more, walked back to the desk and asked what we were to do next. We were told our room wasn't ready, and given towel cards. No problem in my opinion. However, no instructions, no overview. I asked where to get towels, and this seemed to confuse and anger the desk staff.

Made our way to the pool area, sat down, and began to enjoy the sun and the view. After 30 minutes or so, a staff member pleasantly brought us a menu. 40 minutes later I had to walk up to the pool bar myself and order.

I started to notice a trend. As soon as I started to speak, the staff seemed less friendly. Guess they didn't like my accent. We began to encounter increasingly unfriendly staff. We asked about use and rentals of the various toys at the pier, and were told everything was booked. Nothing moved all afternoon. Guess they didn't like our accent.

Our room layout and cleanliness was excellent. The resort layout and amentities were excellent. The maintenance of the resort was excellent.

We went to the pool bar for late lunch, only one other lone person sitting there. We were brought a drink menu, asked for a food menu too, this seemed to anger the waiter. We ordered our food, as did the other person. The staff joked and laughed in the background, and thought it was really funny when one of the waiters kept sneezing. I turned to see him take the other diner his food. The staff was really annoyed with the other diner, very apparent. Our food arrived a couple of minutes later. At around the same time, all of the table around us started to fill. These people had different accents, some spoke different languages. They were happily greeted, brought some simple bar food, olives, etc. We now had a waitress, I asked her what she was giving to the other guests, she explained what it was, gave me a dirty look, told me it was free, and walked away. Guess she didn't like my accent either.

We walked away feeling that it was very apparent that we were not welcome at this resort. As this was the start of our vacation, we were very worried that this would be the reception we would get throughout French Polynesia. Happily, we experienced much better treatment at other properties.

As a corporate traveller who averages 70 nights a year in hotels, based on my poor treatment at this resort, this chain no longer be my primary choice or myself and employees. As a travel agent, my wife will definately not recommend this resort, or, this hotel chain. They don't like our accent.

If your ok with using the facilities and being mistreated and/or ignored by the staff, this place will be ok. Do not go here expecting to be served well or treated as a valued guest or program member.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Thierry B, General Manager at InterContinental Resort & Spa Moorea, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Dear guest,

I thank you for your stay and the time taken to give us your feedback even though a bit unusual.
I understand that overall the resort was at your liking but not at all the way we reacted to ... your accent.
Not realy sure of what it is but our guests are from such a variety of countries all over the world that no way of speaking, no country of origin is an issue for us and I want to apologize if we have reacted in a way that made you believe differently. Your discomfort will be passed on to the whole staff for their information.

los altos,ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

We visited Moorea with our 13yr old son. Stayed in Bungalow 603 which we loved, because it was not too far from lobby/pool, while being in a private area with great fish viewing! We loved feeding the fish with bread in the evening and jumping off our deck to snorkel each morning. Service was excellent. When you arrive, you are brought to your bungalow in a golf cart. All the service people are friendly and helpful. Towels are plentiful. The restaurant is excellent, though expensive just like anything else on the island. ( I did go over to the hilton for lunch and found that we were getting a deal on the kids meals at the intercontinental; they were much more expensive at the Hilton!) The IC also has dolphins that you can pay to interact with (or just watch). The water is just amazing. This hotel has a great location. Would love to go back anytime.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Thierry B, General Manager at InterContinental Resort & Spa Moorea, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Ia Orana from Moorea!

I would like to sincerely thank you for taking the time to write to me regarding your very recent stay at our Hotel.
I am always very encouraged to learn first hand from our valued guests of their experiences whilst staying with us. Your very appreciative comments are being shared with our entire team as we all feel a great sense of satisfaction and joy in knowing that we have collectively ensured that you and your family really enjoyed your stay with us and that you intend to return.
Mauruuru roa

With my warmest regards
Grapevine, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014 via mobile

We were at first hesitant to stay here because we wanted the full over water bungalow experience but after our visit we more than glad that we chose to stay atbthe intercontinetal. The location is the best on the island and the snorkeling was fantastic right off of our bungalow. we even were able to kayak out to the shark and ray spot. Staying here was perfect and I would definitely recommend it to anyone especially families. Miss it everyday!

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Ia Orana from Moorea!
Thank you for your wonderful comment.
Miss it everyday : what a beautiful compliment!
We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back one day.
We'll all be here waiting!
With my warmest regards,
Minneapolis, MN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

We stayed here as part of a family vacation for 5 nights. Myself and my wife, our two kids (age 8 and 5), my sister, and my parents. We booked 3 garden bungalows for the 7 of us, and it was perfect. The bungalows have day beds with a trundle bed underneath, so it's perfect for a family of up to 4. We stayed here over the Christmas holiday, and there were plenty of other families at the resort. Everyone in our group thought the resort was just perfect, especially for the price. The garden bungalows were extremely private, each one surrounded by a partial privacy fence along with heavy foliage. Each bungalow also had a private plunge pool, the kids thought that was great.
The service overall at the resort was top notch. Breakfast was included in our stay. I read reviews on here of people saying there was not enough variety at breakfast. I'm not sure how much more variety for a breakfast buffet could be expected? We stayed for 5 days and I easily could have had a completely different breakfast meal each day......we also ate lunch at the resort several times and everything was good, especially the pizza.
Housekeeping did an incredible job, as did the concierge in helping us locate nearby restaurants. Really my only two negatives to the place was the lack of adequate coffee making in the room (instant coffee), and also they seem to be overly protective of towels and beach towels. It's quite a process to obtain fresh beach towels. For the price paid and being it is a beach resort, beach towels should be easily accessible all the time. Both are small issues in the scheme of things.
On our next visit to Moorea, we will be staying at the Intercontinental again. We found no reason not to return, our stay was wonderful! Also, a quick note to anyone wondering if French Polynesia is suitable for children. IT ABSOLUTELY IS!!! Our kids had the time of their lives and we all can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thierry B, General Manager at InterContinental Resort & Spa Moorea, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Dear Guest,
Ia Orana from Moorea !
Thank you for this beautiful and encouraging comment.
To see that your time with us has touched you so deeply goes straight to our heart.
It was a pleasure to welcome you and your family to our "small piece of Paradise" and we are delighted to hear you have brought home with you such special memories.
Thanks again for your recommendation and we look forward to welcoming you back to Moorea in the near future.
In the meantime take care of yourselves.
Kind sunny regards,

Been to InterContinental Resort & Spa Moorea? Share your experiences!