“All what I expected from Moorea” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #2 of 2 hotels in Papetoai
Long Beach, California
“All what I expected from Moorea”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

After a semi good night sleep at Tahiti airport motel, I got a cab for 2000 xpf and made it to a ferry. I picked up departure at 9:15 am and paid 3000 for a round trip. To my delight the ferry had a free wi-FI so I was able to check my emails. The trip was about 30 min. Upon arrival on Sunday, I saw a couple of buses lined up. I asked if they stop at Intercontinental, which they were. Make sure to ask a bus to wait for you until you pick up a luggage from the ferry. About 7 min wait. In the mean time I bought some fresh coconut and pineapple slices at about $2.50 each. The driver helped me with the luggage and the ride cost 300 or less then $4USD. He stopped briefly at 2 other hotels. There is only one road on the island. I doubt that taxi is more efficient. It is definitely more expensive (4500 xpf). The walk from bus stop to hotel was short 5 min. I had one suitcase with wheels so it worked. The hotel allowed me to check in at 11 am, which was very much appreciated. This was a stopover from New Zealand on the the way to LAX. I wish my package with Tahiti Nui air included all 3 nights in Moorea. Instead, I had 2 nights in Moorea and one night at IC in Tahiti. I tried to change and was going to purchase the ambassador club for upgrade. The room change and membership would come to $450. It was not worth it. If you buy a package from the airline, I would suggest to keep a lanai or garden room if this is included and then purchase an Ambassador club membership for $200 which would guarantee an upgrade plus free internet. I paid $300 for upgrade to overwater bungalow in US, but it did not come with free Internet. Now about the room. I got 503 and very happy with it. The room is very clean, had a large complimentary bottle of water and a beautiful view of lagoon. I am a swimmer, so for me this is ideal. I swam for about an hour around the property in a loop. The currents become stronger once you pass 600 bungalows and face an open water. The lagoon is very breezy. I do not need any air conditioner. The overwater platform has very comfortable lounge chairs and is shaded in the afternoon. As far as food, I was turned off by all the comments about expensive restaurant in IC. I walked across the street for lunch at Legends. You have to be in good shape to climb a steep road for about 15 min in a hot a humid climate but what a view! And the food was great, fresh, healthy and reasonable ($35 USD for seafood salad with veggies and a bier). I had a caesar salad with tuna and a glass of wine at hotel for dinner. All in was about $37. No view though. So far, so good.

Room Tip: 503, 502 are great. Nice lagoon and close to dolphins
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Thierry B, Directeur général at InterContinental Resort & Spa Moorea, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Dear Olga,
Ia Orana from Moorea!
Thank you for your detailed review which surely will be valuable to many future visitors of Polynesia.
I am happy to see that you enjoyed the resort.
Hopefully see you again one day
Best regards,

1,043 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (184)
Waterford, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013 via mobile

We are currently at this hotel for four days as a "winding down" period from our 14 day Paul Gauguin cruise. We are in bungalow 317 on the beach. The hotel is excellent in terms of lobby quality and staff. The two infinity pools are fabulous. We had a couple of little lizards in our room to keep us company and eat any bugs that might have gotten the room. That was totally ok with us as they are harmless and prefer to stay off your radar screen.

My biggest complaint about this location is the restaurant. I ordered the crab risotto style gnocchi. When the plate was delivered alarms went off in my mind. The crab had the candy apple red color that generally means its "krab", not the genuine thing. I asked the waitress if the crab was fake crab. She smiled and said it is not real crab. To say that I was disappointed would be an understatement! She later said it was not fresh but rather frozen crab. I know what the color, flavor and texture of supermarket krab is, and this is what I was served. On the other hand the stir fry my husband ordered was to his satisfaction and he had no complaints at all. The dolphin and turtle centers on the property are kind of interesting and I think children would enjoy them.

• Stayed December 2013
Thierry B, Directeur général at InterContinental Resort & Spa Moorea, responded to this review, December 16, 2013

Thank you for feedback.
I am happy to read that most aspects of your stay met your expectations and hope that your memories of your visit will stay with you forever.

Regarding the gnocchi dish, I can confirm that it is indeed frozen crab meat. Unfortunately we cannot easily find fresh crab in French Polynesia and we are thus obliged to use frozen products chosen for their high quality. The waitress therefore provided you a most honest answer.
We recieve many positive feedback regarding this dish and are sorry that it was not to your liking.

Thank you once again for your visit.

Hopefully see you again one day!

Warm regards,
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

Pluses
- Free kayak and snorkel gear rental
- Good location for snorkel and dive excursions - close to the stingrays and sharks
- Small store across the street that sells beverages and snacks at relatively reasonable prices (emphasis on small - it looks like it used to be much bigger at one point). They also offer excursions and will negotiate to lower prices compared to the Intercontinental.

Minuses
- There was a lizard waiting for us inside the room when we checked in.
- One of the robes had a red stain along the sleeve - we placed it on the floor and it was taken away but never replaced.
- The staff left us a dirty rag on the table one afternoon.
- The staff never replenished our toiletries.
- Expect a lot of noise in the overwater bungalows (not sure what it's like in other room types), as there are shutters on the windows but no glass. The birds and other creatures are very loud and festive at night.
- The AC unit is positioned such that there will be a draft right in your face the whole night as you sleep.

These may seem nitpicky but this is not what one expects to encounter at the Intercontinental. Quite disappointed with our stay. We met with other travellers who stayed at the HIlton and Sofitel and loved it so we'll be checking those out if we ever return to Moorea!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Resort & Spa Moorea, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Dear emileeetravels,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay with us. Guest satisfaction is important to us and we try our hardest to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel.

We are so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us and regret our hotel did not live up to your expectations. As our success is measured by how our guests evaluate our services and facilities, we want you to know that the feedback we receive are taken seriously. We have taken note of your comments and have shared these with our management team to review make necessary improvements to ensure guests do not experience this in the future.

Despite your disappointment, we do hope you will return to stay with us again at some future date when you can be assured of our very best attention.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare
Fort Wayne, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

I just want to say that I have never reviewed a hotel with this high of remarks ever. My first review of a place where I did not have anything to complain about. This place has set the bar for all of my future hotel stays. I will try my best to hit every aspect of our stay.
1) Rooms: Our stay was split in a beach bungalow and an over the water bungalow. Both of these places were just so perfect. My first thanks is to the cleaning staff. Both places were spotless. You could eat off of the floors. The staff were very respectful of our privacy which we greatly appreciated. They always greeted us and they always had a smile on their faces. The views were to die for. The lounge chairs were so comfortable with their big red cushions. These places came with a great flat screen TV on a swivel, but we really didn't need a TV.
2) Platinum Ambassador: The only way to go at the InterContinental. If you do not know about Ambassador status you need to look into it. It is worth every penny.
3) Landscaping: This places is just unreal. My hats off to the landscaping crew. The vegetation is well manicured as if it was a display at a major botanical conservatory. I do not recall seeing on piece of trash anywhere on the property for the entire stay.
4)Food: The food is top notch. My wife can not stop talking about this Asian noodle dish that she had one night. Best part about eating here is the views. You always have a great view of the ocean, the pools, or the landscaping. The wait staff was really on it. Not one issue ever.
5) Front desk: We were treated with so much respect from all of the front desk staff. We were thanked for our loyalty as Platinum Ambassador when we arrived. We were offered a refreshing drink while we were being checked. Again, we never had one issue with the front desk staff. They were just awesome.
6) Bell hop: These guys were great. They took our bags and delivered us to our bungalow via golf carts. They were fast and friendly.
7) Pools: The pools were really cool. The one was an above ground stoned pool. A design that I had never seen before. The other pool was the infinity pool which was very refreshing. One day a waiter came past and offered a sampling of fresh cut pineapple. There were plenty of lounge chairs for everyone to use.
8) Kayak: The free 2 hours of kayak use is a great plus for this place. We never had to wait for the use of the kayak. The guy that issues the equipment was friendly and very funny at times.
I am sure that I have missed something here. I wish that I could name every person that made this trip what it was. My wife and I have wanted to go to the islands for the last 22 years and this was the year. It turned out to be everything that we had imagined and more. I even proposed to her again while I was there and we will be renewing our vows next year. A very special thank you to everyone at the InterContinental Resort and Spa Moorea

Room Tip: The Premium Over The Water Bungalow is the only way to go. Beware that there is a fairly strong cur...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thierry B, Directeur général at InterContinental Resort & Spa Moorea, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Dear Guests,
Ia Orana from everyone in Moorea !

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this beautiful comment.
To see that your time with us has touched you so deeply goes straight to our heart.

Congratulations on your re-engagement and maybe see you again for a wedding anniversary!

In the meantime take care of yourselves.

Best sunny regards,
Riverside, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

We loved our beach view room in the main hotel. It was large, comfortable and well appointed.
The staff are very friendly, the pools are nice and the entire facility is clean and lovely.
We had a great time and we would recommend this to everyone.

The dolphin center is entertaining even without participating in the activity yourself. The snorkeling and kayaking are very nice, and free!

We were here for 5 nights and got a bit bored with the food selection because the more elegant restaurant is closed when the beach buffets are going on, which is frequent and very pricey!
Bar food and breakfast buffet are very good, but repetitive!
The desserts are to die for!

It is really far from Cook's Bay but tour companies do come to pick you up, and really everything you need is here on site.
Restaurants do not readily come to get you during the lower season, so though they say they will, if you are just a couple and not a large group they likely will not come when you call!

We will gladly return here if we get to come back to the amazing island of Moorea.

Room Tip: Be sure to get a beach view room. Mosquitoes abound in the gardens and I don't think it would be...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thierry B, Directeur général at InterContinental Resort & Spa Moorea, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Ia Orana from Moorea!
Thank you for this very wonderful comment and your recommendation.
There is no better compliment than hearing that you will gladly to return at our Hotel.
Start planning your next trip… we are waiting!
Until then take care.
Best sunny regards,
Naalehu, Hawaii, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

This is our fourth trip to FP and first at the IC Moorea. If you want relative quiet, lush foliage, a neat turtle rescue center on property, tourist dolphins if you like that sort of thing, a great beach in on an island devoid of great beaches and lots of beach toys at your disposal you have arrived.

The resort has the standard fare of rooms, from hotel rooms to a few truly over water bungalows and sweet garden bungalows with plunge pools off your lanai. The two infinity pools were never full when we were there, one with a swim up bar.

Staff at this hotel are great. The concierge are their to help, not to sell. Ask them anything and you will probably be satisfied. Be sure to ask for restaurants that provide free pick up and return service as the hotel sits far away from the little communities with the best lcoal restaurants.

I have only one warning. Under no circumstances should you include the hot buffet breakfast (@ $45 USD when we were there) in your plans. We had been forewarned and opted for the a la carte. That gave us confirmation when we received a morning "deli" tray with frozen wedge style breakfast potatoes that had obviously been re-heated from the day before. If you like real coffee, bring your own. Our latte was hardly drinkable. This resulted in our choosing dedicated restaurants off property since they were offering pick up and return.

Room Tip: We live in Hawaii so experience teaches that a room is for sleeping. All the action is outside. Un...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thierry B, Directeur général at InterContinental Resort & Spa Moorea, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Dear Jim,
Ia Orana from Moorea!
Thank you for your comments.
Your description is perfect... Moorea is both a place where one can relax reading a good book on the beach but also offering a diversity of excellent activities to discover this wholesome island!
Our concierge team indeed works very hard in finding the best solutions for our guests and your compliments are very encouraging .
Regarding your comment on breakfast, the coffee provided is a famous Italian brand, very popular throughout the world, and I can assure you that no item in any of our restaurants is every re-used... this is just unthinkable.
Nonetheless, like I have said before, we are many spending long hours to ensure our guests have a pleasant time with us so if you have any problem it is so simple to let us know whilst you are here!
Thank you again for your visit and we hope to see you again one day!
Kind sunny regards,
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

I thought I booked a 5 star hotel and then I discovered when checking out it's actually a 4 star hotel. It made me think any nit-picking I did now made sense.. but then I assured myself no, wait a minute think of the price you're paying! A 4 star hotel should not be charging 5 star prices. Especially, if the quality isn't outstanding. The service was great but the food was bad. Hold your thumb and index finger together like a circle.. that's the size of the $50 steak your given from room service [see pic]. Noone at any of the bars or restaurants know how to make a drink either! We spent a lot of money on drinks trying to feel the buzz that never came and didn't find it until staying at the next hotel. I feel we should be refunded for every drink we had but I don't care cause we had such a great time.

Don't pass the jet-ski tour to feed stingrays and sharks it is so much fun! And even saw whales along the way, BONUS!

Also, somebody should let those dolphins out. Every time you cross the bridge it just keeps swimming into the barrier stopping it from the ocean which looks heart-breaking. If the stories are true and they're blind or disabled in any way then put their story on a plaque up on the bridge overlooking the enclosure so people don't think they're there for extortion.
p.s. check out the price tag for just a photo with the dolphin. Ha! I'll go to Sea World back home for $80 thanks.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Thierry B, Directeur général at InterContinental Resort & Spa Moorea, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us.
All I can say is that I feel sorry for you that you have not brought your feeling to my attention while on site. There is a lot we can do even about personnal expectations and personnal appreciations.
About our dolphins: The hotel has accepted to be home for the Dolphin centre some years ago because the site was found to be the best in the area. The centre is member of a reknown worldwide association that ensures the dolphins are very well taken care of. On another hand it is important to know that they were born in captivity and letting them out would lead to some tragedy for them.

Sincerely

Been to InterContinental Resort & Spa Moorea? Share your experiences!