“Best Ever!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Papetoai
Fort Wayne, Indiana
“Best Ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

I just want to say that I have never reviewed a hotel with this high of remarks ever. My first review of a place where I did not have anything to complain about. This place has set the bar for all of my future hotel stays. I will try my best to hit every aspect of our stay.
1) Rooms: Our stay was split in a beach bungalow and an over the water bungalow. Both of these places were just so perfect. My first thanks is to the cleaning staff. Both places were spotless. You could eat off of the floors. The staff were very respectful of our privacy which we greatly appreciated. They always greeted us and they always had a smile on their faces. The views were to die for. The lounge chairs were so comfortable with their big red cushions. These places came with a great flat screen TV on a swivel, but we really didn't need a TV.
2) Platinum Ambassador: The only way to go at the InterContinental. If you do not know about Ambassador status you need to look into it. It is worth every penny.
3) Landscaping: This places is just unreal. My hats off to the landscaping crew. The vegetation is well manicured as if it was a display at a major botanical conservatory. I do not recall seeing on piece of trash anywhere on the property for the entire stay.
4)Food: The food is top notch. My wife can not stop talking about this Asian noodle dish that she had one night. Best part about eating here is the views. You always have a great view of the ocean, the pools, or the landscaping. The wait staff was really on it. Not one issue ever.
5) Front desk: We were treated with so much respect from all of the front desk staff. We were thanked for our loyalty as Platinum Ambassador when we arrived. We were offered a refreshing drink while we were being checked. Again, we never had one issue with the front desk staff. They were just awesome.
6) Bell hop: These guys were great. They took our bags and delivered us to our bungalow via golf carts. They were fast and friendly.
7) Pools: The pools were really cool. The one was an above ground stoned pool. A design that I had never seen before. The other pool was the infinity pool which was very refreshing. One day a waiter came past and offered a sampling of fresh cut pineapple. There were plenty of lounge chairs for everyone to use.
8) Kayak: The free 2 hours of kayak use is a great plus for this place. We never had to wait for the use of the kayak. The guy that issues the equipment was friendly and very funny at times.
I am sure that I have missed something here. I wish that I could name every person that made this trip what it was. My wife and I have wanted to go to the islands for the last 22 years and this was the year. It turned out to be everything that we had imagined and more. I even proposed to her again while I was there and we will be renewing our vows next year. A very special thank you to everyone at the InterContinental Resort and Spa Moorea

Room Tip: The Premium Over The Water Bungalow is the only way to go. Beware that there is a fairly strong cur...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thierry B, Directeur général at InterContinental Resort & Spa Moorea, responded to this review, December 5, 2013
Dear Guests,
Ia Orana from everyone in Moorea !

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this beautiful comment.
To see that your time with us has touched you so deeply goes straight to our heart.

Congratulations on your re-engagement and maybe see you again for a wedding anniversary!

In the meantime take care of yourselves.

Best sunny regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
Riverside, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2013

We loved our beach view room in the main hotel. It was large, comfortable and well appointed.
The staff are very friendly, the pools are nice and the entire facility is clean and lovely.
We had a great time and we would recommend this to everyone.

The dolphin center is entertaining even without participating in the activity yourself. The snorkeling and kayaking are very nice, and free!

We were here for 5 nights and got a bit bored with the food selection because the more elegant restaurant is closed when the beach buffets are going on, which is frequent and very pricey!
Bar food and breakfast buffet are very good, but repetitive!
The desserts are to die for!

It is really far from Cook's Bay but tour companies do come to pick you up, and really everything you need is here on site.
Restaurants do not readily come to get you during the lower season, so though they say they will, if you are just a couple and not a large group they likely will not come when you call!

We will gladly return here if we get to come back to the amazing island of Moorea.

Room Tip: Be sure to get a beach view room. Mosquitoes abound in the gardens and I don't think it would be...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thierry B, Directeur général at InterContinental Resort & Spa Moorea, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Ia Orana from Moorea!
Thank you for this very wonderful comment and your recommendation.
There is no better compliment than hearing that you will gladly to return at our Hotel.
Start planning your next trip… we are waiting!
Until then take care.
Best sunny regards,
Naalehu, Hawaii, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

This is our fourth trip to FP and first at the IC Moorea. If you want relative quiet, lush foliage, a neat turtle rescue center on property, tourist dolphins if you like that sort of thing, a great beach in on an island devoid of great beaches and lots of beach toys at your disposal you have arrived.

The resort has the standard fare of rooms, from hotel rooms to a few truly over water bungalows and sweet garden bungalows with plunge pools off your lanai. The two infinity pools were never full when we were there, one with a swim up bar.

Staff at this hotel are great. The concierge are their to help, not to sell. Ask them anything and you will probably be satisfied. Be sure to ask for restaurants that provide free pick up and return service as the hotel sits far away from the little communities with the best lcoal restaurants.

I have only one warning. Under no circumstances should you include the hot buffet breakfast (@ $45 USD when we were there) in your plans. We had been forewarned and opted for the a la carte. That gave us confirmation when we received a morning "deli" tray with frozen wedge style breakfast potatoes that had obviously been re-heated from the day before. If you like real coffee, bring your own. Our latte was hardly drinkable. This resulted in our choosing dedicated restaurants off property since they were offering pick up and return.

Room Tip: We live in Hawaii so experience teaches that a room is for sleeping. All the action is outside. Un...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thierry B, Directeur général at InterContinental Resort & Spa Moorea, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Dear Jim,
Ia Orana from Moorea!
Thank you for your comments.
Your description is perfect... Moorea is both a place where one can relax reading a good book on the beach but also offering a diversity of excellent activities to discover this wholesome island!
Our concierge team indeed works very hard in finding the best solutions for our guests and your compliments are very encouraging .
Regarding your comment on breakfast, the coffee provided is a famous Italian brand, very popular throughout the world, and I can assure you that no item in any of our restaurants is every re-used... this is just unthinkable.
Nonetheless, like I have said before, we are many spending long hours to ensure our guests have a pleasant time with us so if you have any problem it is so simple to let us know whilst you are here!
Thank you again for your visit and we hope to see you again one day!
Kind sunny regards,
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013

I thought I booked a 5 star hotel and then I discovered when checking out it's actually a 4 star hotel. It made me think any nit-picking I did now made sense.. but then I assured myself no, wait a minute think of the price you're paying! A 4 star hotel should not be charging 5 star prices. Especially, if the quality isn't outstanding. The service was great but the food was bad. Hold your thumb and index finger together like a circle.. that's the size of the $50 steak your given from room service [see pic]. Noone at any of the bars or restaurants know how to make a drink either! We spent a lot of money on drinks trying to feel the buzz that never came and didn't find it until staying at the next hotel. I feel we should be refunded for every drink we had but I don't care cause we had such a great time.

Don't pass the jet-ski tour to feed stingrays and sharks it is so much fun! And even saw whales along the way, BONUS!

Also, somebody should let those dolphins out. Every time you cross the bridge it just keeps swimming into the barrier stopping it from the ocean which looks heart-breaking. If the stories are true and they're blind or disabled in any way then put their story on a plaque up on the bridge overlooking the enclosure so people don't think they're there for extortion.
p.s. check out the price tag for just a photo with the dolphin. Ha! I'll go to Sea World back home for $80 thanks.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Thierry B, Directeur général at InterContinental Resort & Spa Moorea, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us.
All I can say is that I feel sorry for you that you have not brought your feeling to my attention while on site. There is a lot we can do even about personnal expectations and personnal appreciations.
About our dolphins: The hotel has accepted to be home for the Dolphin centre some years ago because the site was found to be the best in the area. The centre is member of a reknown worldwide association that ensures the dolphins are very well taken care of. On another hand it is important to know that they were born in captivity and letting them out would lead to some tragedy for them.

Sincerely
NorCal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

After hours of online surfing & chats with our Travel Agent, we settled on the InterContinental Moorea mostly for the kid-friendly appeal online. Unfortunately, once you're there - you find out that there isn't really a Kids-Club - that's for School Groups - and, other than playing with the Dolphins - it's just another Resort. But, that was okay - we had a PHENOMENAL time! We had stayed on Moorea before & knew we most certainly wanted to go back with our daughter. What our Travel Agent didn't know is that this property is the furthest from the Ferry Terminal of all the Resorts...or close to it. So, after traveling all day from home the day before - the last thing our 5 yr old wanted to do was sit in a van on a windy road for 45 mins. The food selection was adequate - although, service is beyond slow at all restaurants. We're not slow eaters - when we sit down - we want fed. That was rough. Breakfast buffet used the day priors left-overs, so freshness wasn't always there. Dinner show was Traditional & fun. Our room was beautiful - although our over-water bungalow at what is now The Hilton was much more picturesque then here. And, their staff was much more inviting, as well! For $750/night - I think we'd stay elsewhere next time. LOVED snorkeling the lagoon & just BEING in Tahiti! What a magical place to be able to tell our daughter she snorkeled for the very 1st time! Concierge staff was very hit or miss. Certain ones knew a lot - others were useless & left me to figure out Transfers on my own. So glad we did the day-use at the sister Property on Papeete! Very nice option for the late night flights home!

Room Tip: I would think the rooms near the Dolphin Center offer a better view. Our over-water Bungalow just lo...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thierry B, Directeur général at InterContinental Resort & Spa Moorea, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback.
We are delighted that you enjoyed your time with us.

I am surprised that you were expecting a Kids Club as no where to our knowledge do we claim to have one. Did you see this online?
As you rightfully mention the island offers numerous activities for children of all ages and it is such a special place for one discover nature.

We are indeed further away from the ferry and airport, however this tends to not be a problem as the numerous unique benefits we enjoy highly make up for it: direct sunlight from dawn to dusk, small local village with shops, restaurants and cafes 3 km away, shark & ray spot 500m away and simply a really nice vibe emerging from the north western neighbourhood of Moorea!

We are sorry that you found service too slow. Most of our guests enjoy taking their time and as we cannot guess everyones' preference simply let us know right from the start how you like things done and we can adapt accordingly to ensure you have a frustration-free holiday!

Similarly, you found the Hiltons' bungalows more picturesque, last week I received a comment saying the exact opposite! Tastes and preferences are so divers that some things are just not black or white.

On the contrary, hygiene regulations are and I can guarantee that day priors left-overs are NEVER re-used. Any hotel having such practices in French Polynesia would rapidly be closed down.

As the French saying says "pas deux sans trois" [not two without three] - maybe we will see you back in Moorea one day!

Mansfield, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

The Room was very nice and private. The Property was very average. We went out to dinner every night, so the Hotel arranged for pick up- The Restuarants will only pick you up at the Hotel, if there is another couple at your Hotel that is going to the same Resturant. We were lucky, we had another couple going out every night. My favorite is Rudy's. We went on excursions everyday, so we did not spend much time at the Hotel. While reading a response from Thierry B,(Manager) to another reviewer- I was taken back. Thierry B. stated that bringing your own alcohol- is considered misbehaving. Well I guess I misbehaved alot. What is wrong with bringing your own bottle in the Privacy of your room- and having coctails on your deck while enjoying the view. I did buy several beers at the bar-not finding it too expensive $7.00 dollars. My husband and I would fix a cocktail in our room at night. I thought his/her respond was unprofessional and rude. Every morning the front desk would have local artist that would come in and set up tables with their goods. I bought several items everyday-Not too expensive. I did like this Hotel, but it did not have the "WOW" factor. We left and went to the InterContinental Thalasso in Bora Bora, now that Resort had the "WOW" factor. And yes I did misbehave every chance I could get.
Everyone at the Hotel was very friendly and nice. The Beds were very comfortable, Had alots of bugs in room- They looked like sand ants- all over the sink and vanity. But thats normal for a tropical paradise. Also watch out for the geckos- all over the walls and the ceilings. I am used to them, I live in Texas, so I embraced the little critters. They also have swim with the Dolphins- did not partake in that activity-

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thierry B, Directeur général at InterContinental Resort & Spa Moorea, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Dear Guests,

Thank you for your stay and comments.

This is not Thalasso... Indeed Moorea is not Bora Bora, in many ways...

I very much understand your stand point when comparing this hotel to Thalasso in Bora Bora which is our sister property that we know by heart and for the pre opening of which I worked myself a year prior. I perfectly know that Bora Bora enjoys a reputation that Moorea does not. Known to be the Pearl of the Pacific, Bora Bora can afford a level of price and luxury far above Moorea .Hence the difference in products that we all agree on and that Moorea cannot match however offering another kind of interest. The confusion comes from the fact that most times these so different islands and their properties are packaged together by travel agencies into a global quote which hides the huge price differences to the eyes of the customer and brings confusion in expectations hence appreciations.
This being said, this hotel and the island have a lot to offer in a different way and are worth the trip so that Moorea is the choice of most repeaters.

Talking about "misbehaviour" which I agree, was a strong word, please do not make me wrong. I am sorry for having hurt some sensibilities in not being clear enough which I am going to try and fix:
I very much understand that our guests get some drinks on the plane or in the shops around which they always did. Sometimes our bellmen take our guests for a lift to the shop, up the hill with the hotel golf karts. I happen to take my guests to the village nearby for shopping or dining with my own car. We are most happy to help.

However taking away goods (drinks or food) from the buffet is not part of the game. The staff himself feels uncomfortable with such attitudes understandably seen as detrimental to their hotel. Thanks God this is rare and we willingly avoid an embarrassing situation for both sides by not telling the guest that this is not what he should do. I knew my words would not please, I would not have pointed out that troublesome subject if, cherry on the cake, we had not been told that "no one cares about it !!!". I was upset and found myself kind of forced to answer and say that we are professionals, we care about our clients and we care about doing a good, sound and responsible business.
I am sorry I have to explain this understandable position of mine and I thank you for giving me the opportunity to do it.

Charlotte
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

We stayed in the Intercontinental Moorea Resort & Spa after our Paul Gauguin cruise. This was a great place to unwind (not that we needed more unwinding) before flying home. There's a swimmable lagoon what winds through the chain of bungalows. And the beach offers all kinds of water sports. You won't want to miss the weekly (Sunday evening, I think) Polynesian dinner on the beach. The dancers are excellent. The Intercontinental seems like a good place for kids, too, because of easy to access water sports. BTW, Moorea is right across from Tahiti and an interesting island to visit...lots to see and do.

There're coral heads and tropical fish in the protected lagoon - even the elusive Picasso Triggerfish. What a sight! Nothing better than waking up and taking a before-breakfast swim. You'll need a big one to handle the InterContinental's breakfast buffet! Note: our winter (in US) is their hot, rainy season. So plan accordingly.

Room Tip: The bungalows are wonderful, of course. You can choose over-water, right on the beach or just back f...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thierry B, Directeur général at InterContinental Resort & Spa Moorea, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear Kate,
Ia Orana from Moorea!
Thank you for your lovely comments and recommendation.
Effectively, Moorea is an island of nature, deep lagoon full of fish and coral... a magical place to enjoy a natural type of luxury.
Our concierge team indeed works very hard in finding the best solutions for our guests and your comments are very encouraging .
We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back to our Hotel …
With my warmest regards

Been to InterContinental Resort & Spa Moorea? Share your experiences!