“Intercontinental Resort Moorea” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Papetoai
Charlotte
“Intercontinental Resort Moorea”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

We stayed in the Intercontinental Moorea Resort & Spa after our Paul Gauguin cruise. This was a great place to unwind (not that we needed more unwinding) before flying home. There's a swimmable lagoon what winds through the chain of bungalows. And the beach offers all kinds of water sports. You won't want to miss the weekly (Sunday evening, I think) Polynesian dinner on the beach. The dancers are excellent. The Intercontinental seems like a good place for kids, too, because of easy to access water sports. BTW, Moorea is right across from Tahiti and an interesting island to visit...lots to see and do.

There're coral heads and tropical fish in the protected lagoon - even the elusive Picasso Triggerfish. What a sight! Nothing better than waking up and taking a before-breakfast swim. You'll need a big one to handle the InterContinental's breakfast buffet! Note: our winter (in US) is their hot, rainy season. So plan accordingly.

Room Tip: The bungalows are wonderful, of course. You can choose over-water, right on the beach or just back f...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thierry B, Directeur général at InterContinental Resort & Spa Moorea, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Dear Kate,
Ia Orana from Moorea!
Thank you for your lovely comments and recommendation.
Effectively, Moorea is an island of nature, deep lagoon full of fish and coral... a magical place to enjoy a natural type of luxury.
Our concierge team indeed works very hard in finding the best solutions for our guests and your comments are very encouraging .
We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back to our Hotel …
With my warmest regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013 via mobile

My expectations for this hotel exceeded the actuality of our visit. There was nothing impressive about this hotel. They do not have more then 3-4 true overwater bungalows. While they consider a majority of them overwater~ indeed a portion of the bungalow is overwater while a majority is actually over land.
The food at the hotel and overall on the island of moorea is very average~ in fact we found it hard to find a good meal (and all is quite pricey).
The staff was not very helpful nor were they that welcoming! The amenities were very mediocre. If you are expecting a nice luxury vacation~ the ICH is not for you! The pool and beach are not inviting. Sadly we were counting the days until we left for bora bora~ four seasons (which is UNBELIEVABLE!)

• Stayed November 2013
Dear Guests,

French Polynesia deserves a particular attention before travelling. It is a destination with very diverse islands in terms of landscape, atmosphere, lagoon, hotels…and prices. Bora Bora hotels are roughly twice more expensive than Moorea hotels hence their rating and level of standard are higher. The trip from Tahiti to Bora Bora takes its own respectable share (the cost is more than two hotel nights in Moorea for a couple). This gives an idea of the amounts inherent to each property in a package that has been purchased as a whole to a travel agent.
I hope I make it clear as this means a lot in terms of stars, service, comfort, product quality compared to price paid in each island. This is crucial when comparing apples to apples.

However Moorea is not a sub product, it is just a different product. After 20 years in this part of the world, I can say that Moorea is by far, my favorite island and most French Polynesia repeaters’ favorite place. Moorea is an island of nature, deep lagoon full of fish and coral, great place to visit a mountain with lush vegetation, tropical flowers and fruit trees. And a magical place to enjoy a more easy going, natural, even pristine type of luxury.

Our establishment is a relaxing home away from home; enjoyable for its nature and privacy of its gardens; various beach areas which provide direct access for a marine life exploration.

I am sorry to see that our restaurants (or the others on the island) were not to your liking. Overall, the feedback is rater positive however I understand that culinary preferences are very dependent on individual experiences and tastes. Finally, we make a point in ensuring that the whole team is dedicated to help and does his best to make our guests spend the best time possible.

Travel and service are very much about personal expectations and appreciation. I seriously and most sincerely want to stress on the fact that Moorea in general and this hotel in particular are so different from Bora Bora that it is crucial to get the right information before purchasing and travelling.

This being said, I thank you for your stay, for your comment and for giving me the opportunity to precise this point important to my eyes.

Sincerely
Laguna Niguel, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

Had I visited Moorea first, I probably would have rated this hotel a 5. Unfortunately, as I had stayed at the Intercontinental Thalasso in Bora Bora previously, my stay here was just not quite as magical. However, I'll try to focus my review purely on this stay.

The overwater bungalow description was somewhat misleading in that only 4 were truly over the water. The majority (such as the one I stayed at) were only partially overwater. However, you do have your own private deck to jump in/out of the water, so in the end, that is what counts!

Outside the bungalows, there were a lot of marine life to see. The hotel provides complimentary gear such as snorkeling equipment and kayaks. Inside the room, I appreciated the extra amenities such as a large bottle of complimentary water. The room was well thought out and nicely designed.

If Moorea is the only island you plan to visit, I still recommend staying at an OW bungalow. However, if you plan to go to Bora Bora and looking to cut costs somewhere, I'd reserve the OW bungalow at the Intercontinental in Bora Bora (they were much larger and nicer).

If you are into activities, I recommend the dolphin encounter, jet ski and ATV tours. For scuba divers, the TopDive center inside the resort was convenient.

We used the concierge services nearly every day. They helped arrange dinner reservations and transportation. Le Mayflower and Rudy's were my two favorite restaurants during our stay. Inside the resort, we ate at both restaurants. If you don't look at prices, the food is very good. The fresh swordfish and tuna (raw) were excellent as was the duck. I was ecstatic to eat foie gras (it is banned in California). Our stay included buffet breakfast (otherwise it's 3500 XPF per person), which was also very good and included standard assortment of hot items, fresh fruit, cold cuts, cheeses and pastries.

This has no impact on my rating, but if you are prone to mosquito bites, bring lots of insect spray!

I chose Tahiti because I wanted to get away from it all and I was somewhat disappointed to see large buses and children running around. Had I known Moorea was going to be this "busy", I would have gone to Hawaii instead for a similar experience at a fraction of the price (though, I do agree Moorea is still a lot less busier than Hawaii).

For these personal preferences, I would not visit Moorea again. However, if I am judging this purely on the resort (amenities, location, service, etc.), I would highly recommend staying here if you are set in going to Moorea.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thierry B, Directeur général at InterContinental Resort & Spa Moorea, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Dear Guests,
Ia Orana from Moorea!

I would like to thank you for your comment.

As you mention, Moorea is indeed a quitter island than Hawaii... and most other tropical destinations. Its' lush vegetation and traditional lifestyle make it an ideal place to rest and relax. However, like all touristic destinations, it experiences a high season when activity will be higher. Some complain in the low season that it is too quiet, others like yourselves would on the contrary prefer such period and it is therefore important to investigate as much as possible a destination in order to match ones desires.

Thanking you again for your stay.

Atlantic City, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

We stayed in the InterContinental Moorea for the first part of our honeymoon. We booked a beach bungalow and, due to our Ambassador status, were upgraded to a garden bungalow with private pool. The bungalow, infinity pool, and private deck were beautiful and just what we envisioned for a romantic vacation. The concierge was extremely helpful throughout our stay, and the staff was very pleasant and friendly. The snorkeling was AMAZING in the lagoon with more coral and fish than we could believe. The hotel grounds were lush and colorful, and we loved the sea turtle sanctuary at the edge of the lagoon. There was also an abundance of activities available to explore the island - we rented a dune buggy and drove halfway up the central mountain, then hiked a trail the rest of the way. The resort also had regular car rentals available, as well as guided tours and a dolphin center. Moorea itself offers plenty to do, and the local restaurants that we tried for dinner were lovely. Seafood is FRESH and delicious everywhere, especially if you try the traditional Polynesian dishes. We had dinner off the resort each night, but the hotel offered a delicious breakfast buffet which we enjoyed every morning.

Our bed was a king size, but was actually two twin mattresses pushed together. A minor detail, but it did disrupt our sleep a bit. Also the beach had a pretty thin cover of sand, but we spent most of our time at our bungalow pool. We definitely recommend the InterContinental Moorea!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Kate,
Ia Orana from Moorea!
Thank you for your lovely comments and recommendation.
We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back to our Hotel …
With my warmest regards
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2013

This resort is amazing. We stayed in an overwater bungalow right next to the dolphin enclosure. The water is amazing. It's like having an aquarium at your door step. Shark and stingray encounters are common and only a short paddle away from the resort (less than a few hundred meters). The weather was perfect and it's fantastic to have an overwater bungalow as you get a constant cool breeze. I highly recommend the resort and the island. I'll be back

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Filipppe,
Ia Orana from Moorea!
Thank you for your wonderful comments.
You paint a accurate and magical picture of our lagoon : an aquarium.
Thanks again for your encouragement and start planning your next trip… we are waiting!
Best sunny regards,
Fort Worth, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

We really loved this resort, especially the room. We enrolled in the Ambassadors Club and received an upgrade from the cheapest hotel lanai room to the garden bungalow [#415] with it's own plunge pool which we used a lot and the bungalow was at the edge of the property so we had GREAT privacy. We even had a view of the water which most garden bungalows do not...Loved it! We only ate at the resort once and had a club sandwich and a panini, with the club being very good and the panini just so so. Drink prices are high here [$7 for a beer, tabu was our fav and $12 to $22 for a cocktail] so we bought our favorite liquors at duty free in LAX and bought mixers at the market across from the resort and just call for ice. Could even bring a empty water bottle to breakfast for juice for drinks later, no one cares.
Tips:Recommend Snack Mahana [#2] for lunch. It is a 20 min walk [left out of resort] and was one of our favorite meals in FP.
Enjoyed Rudy's[ #3] for dinner but didn't like Moorea Beach Cafe [didn't understand the #1 rating until I saw that more than 1/2 of their reviewers had only one 1 review, theirs...hummm].
Had Albert Transport/Tours pick us up at the airport and drop us off for $12 each, each way and used them for our Lagoon Excursion/Picnic and 4X4 tour. Both were far less than other tours and we booked online by email and got even cheaper rates! They also didn't demand a credit card or prepayment to reserve their services.
Bring a cheap blowup floaty [especially if up have a beach or over water bungalow] because we spend a lot of time floating around our O/W bungalow in bora bora...fantastic! Also they will be happy to blow them up for you and you can deflate them and repack or just leave them.
We loved our stay and would recommend this resort to anyone.

Room Tip: Ambassadors Club and bring a blowup floaty and you own booze.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thierry B, Directeur général at InterContinental Resort & Spa Moorea, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear guests,
Ia Orana from Moorea!

Thank you for your stay and lovely comments about the product.
I would wish however, to allow myself to add the following thoughts:
Like any other, our property lives on its guests spendings. Tahiti and her islands are a remote paradise in which running a luxury hotel is expensive. A property cannot survive striving to provide a good service, or provide goods with no earnings in return. We do care about service and guest great experience reason why we close our eyes and pretend not caring about misbehavior detrimental to our business.

Thank you again of your recommendation of our Hotel.

We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back to our small piece of paradise …

Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2013

Beautiful quiet place with lots of beach areas to relax at. Biggest problem we had was food. The restaurant is terrible here so we had to eat out every night which ment getting the concierge to book the restaurant to pick us up and drop of us off at the hotel. The nearest retaurant and convenience store was a 20 minute walk down the road which is terrible in the hot mid day sun when going for lunch. The room airconditioning wasn't very strong and it made a loud fan noise even on the lowest setting.

Room Tip: Overwater bungalows are a long walk from hotel reception and restaurant.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thierry B, Directeur général at InterContinental Resort & Spa Moorea, responded to this review, November 4, 2013
Dear Marcus,
Ia Orana from Moorea!

I am delighted to learn that you have enjoyed your stay at our Hotel.
I would like to address your comment regarding the food. I must admit that I am surprised as overall feedback regarding this service is very positive, both in presentation, choice and quality. Like many things, in the end of the day we all have varying tastes and preferences and what once person will find under seasoned another would find over seasoned.

Thanking you again, I hope to see you on your next trip.

Been to InterContinental Resort & Spa Moorea? Share your experiences!