“Service was excellent, people were friendly and spoke great English, loved it!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton Moorea Lagoon Resort & Spa

You added Hilton Moorea Lagoon Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Hilton Moorea Lagoon Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Bp 1005 | Moorea, Papetoai 98728, French Polynesia (Formerly Sheraton Moorea Lagoon Lagoon Resort and Spa)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Get your 5th Night FREE
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Papetoai
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

Hi,

My wife and I just got back from our honeymoon last night. Moorea was the second leg of our trip with the first being Tahiti and the last being Bora Bora. We had the option to upgrade to the OWB here. We didn't, but looking back we probably should have. The OWB's here are pretty nice and sit in anywhere between 3-5 feet of water. They are the perfect image of the OWB experience.

I'll start off by saying that if you're coming a long distance to French Polynesia, don't bother staying in Tahiti. We were there our first night and felt that we should have skipped it and gone straight to Moorea or Bora Bora. Tahiti wasn't bad, it just doesn't compare to the other islands. The one nice thing about stopping in Tahiti first, was that we were blown away when we arrived at the Hilton Moorea.

Moorea and this hotel make the perfect first impression. The day was crappy, it had rained all day in Tahiti. By the time we got to Moorea it was clearing up a bit, but still very overcast. Even in the clouds the water looked perfect. Sure, it looks better with sun on it, but after a mediocre experience in Tahiti, we were overjoyed to see such beautiful hues of blue and green.

When we arrived at the hotel, the staff had cool wet towels scented in Hibiscus (I think) and a cool cup of tea. The staff all spoke English VERY well and there was a Brit there, the manager I think, who was very friendly. The gal that checked us in was super friendly too, although I can't remember her name. The check in went really quickly (more quickly than the Hilton Bora Bora) and before we knew it the bellhop had come to take our bags. Now this wasn't any ordinary bellhop. He arrived in a pedicab setup. If you've ever visited San Diego, you are familiar with the term. A pedicab is a three wheeled bike, a tricycle really, where one person peddles, and the other two sit behind him or her in a seat. There was also a spot for our luggage and we continued on to our room in style. On the way to the room we noticed how beautiful the resort was. We weren't on the water, but the grounds are very nice. When the guy got us to our room we tipped him 1000 CFP, because he worked so hard to get us there.

The room was very nice, and a step up from our room in Tahiti at Hotel Manava. Everything was very clean of course and the bathroom was fantastic. Beautiful fixtures and a great shower. The plunge pool was awesome, although we didn't end up using it much.

There is one restaurant and I guess one bar, although they are right next to each other. We had breakfast included, but not dinner. If you are coming here, I'd highly recommend you get a meal plan that includes as many prepaid meals as possible. Meals are expensive everywhere in FB. You may think you can get through lunch, but it's harder than you think. If you just do breakfast and dinner, bring many CLIF bars for your lunches (or just take food from the buffet in the morning).

We only had breakfast included and it cost us a fortune to eat lunch and dinner. That is pretty standard for FB though, so the Hilton is not overpriced by FP standards. Also, drinks are ridiculously priced everywhere in FP. If you stay at this Hilton, I heard after we left that there was a grocery or market nearby, within maybe a ten minute walk. Go there and buy liquor if you want to get lubricated, because a monster and vodka will cost you around 2000 CFP (23$ USD).

The Brit at the front desk said the tap water was filtered at the hotel and safe to drink, but we didn't test this theory. We bought a few bottles of water at first, then refilled them at the gym cooler daily. Water is expensive, around 750 CFP ($9 USD) per bottle, so this will help you save.

I liked the food here better than at Bora Bora Hilton. The breakfast was definitely better, the dinners, probably a little better too. Also, the staff was more hospitable here. It's not that they weren't friendly at the Hilton Bora Bora, I just think that the Bora Bora is a larger resort and probably harder for them to cater to everyone. Plus, there were more English speakers in Moorea at the Hilton, and their English was better than the Bora Bora Hilton.

We did the romantic dinner for two on the beach. This is very expensive 29000 CFP (around $320 USD I think) but worth it. Your lady will love it and it is very romantic to do at sunset. We had a waiter who didn't speak a ton of English, but he was VERY friendly and we loved it. They have a pre-fix menu though, which I thought was odd. For that price I'd think you'd be able to order anything you'd like.

They have standup paddle boards for free use, as well as Kayaks and free snorkel gear. The lagoon is fairly shallow for a ways our, no deeper than 5 or 6 feet for probably about 200 yards offshore.

Also, there are surf breaks in Moorea. I didn't make it out to any, but check out

None are really close the this hotel, but there was a Bed and Breakfast that did surf trips called Moorea Surf Bed and Breakfast. Email them at mooreasurf@gmail.com before you go.

Room Tip: Be careful which Bungalow you get in. Get a map before you go and try to get closer to the beach. We...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
olarcher, General Manager at Hilton Moorea Lagoon Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 31, 2012
Dear Sir, Madame,

Thank yo for choosing the Hilton Moorea and for sharing your recent great experience with others.
I am delighted to read you noticed that many of our employees speak English very well.
This is a great testimony of how efficient is our permanent training program which includes English courses. Thank you for your good comments about the food quality at the Hilton Moorea.

Olivier Larcher

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (498)
  • Polish first
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2012

I want to personally thank General Manager Olivier Larcher for making our third trip to the Hilton Moorea the best ever. The hotel gets top marks in all categories. The setting in Opunohu Bay is spectacular and provides the best snorkeling in Moorea.

My wife and I were in a premium overwater bungalow and our children in a beachfront bungalow. The bungalows are lovely and management was kind enough to provide us with a small fridge,too. My wife loves the claw foot tub and I love the rain shower. The bed is superb and the air conditioning great. The decks are fantastic and a jump away from snorkeling heaven.

One of the biggest recent improvements is the addition of Chef Eric to the staff. Not only is his cooking the best in Moorea but his effect on the waitstaff is very noticible. Excellent food with excellent cheerful service. My wife is picky but she loved Chef Eric!

Special thanks to Katherine and of course Dina. Two days from the end of our vacation, I took a nasty fall while visiting a local beach. I needed to see a doctor. The hotel staff arranged for the doctor to come to the hotel to examine me. The doctor then opened his office on a Sunday to stitch my wound. Merci! The concierge staff can and will make any arrangements/reservations for you.

My wife and I have been visiting Moorea annually for the past 16 years. For the first 13 years, we stayed at the Intercontinental. Three years ago, while the Interecontinental was undergoing renovation, we decided to try the Hilton. We are loyal customers and we will always stay at the Hilton Moorea. We are treated as friends/family here and we so appreciate it. Thank you again, Mr. Larcher, for all your kindness. Until next year in Moorea, we wish the entire staff health and happiness in paradise.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Dear Sir, Madame,

The entire team of the Hilton Moorea is delighted to read you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and wish to thank you immensely for your gracious comments about our hotel services and associates.
We are very grateful of your loyalty to us and it is a always a great pleasure to welcome you back.
We look forward to welcoming back in paradise next year,
We wish you again a prompt recovery, good health and happiness,
With my best personal regards,

Bangor, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2012

We went to Moorea from Bora Bora and were eager to see the differences. The over the water villas here were a bit smaller and the water had more of a current. However, that didn't stop us from snorkeling! One of our best meals was at Toatea where the crepes were out of this world! The staff was friendly and made great recommendations. Make sure you're hungry as the crepes are HUGE! It was fun watching the sharks as well. The staff made reservations for us at several restaurants and arranged the transportation as well. The fire dancing show on Tues. was exciting although it was billed as a barbecue buffet you really ordered off the menu. The food choices were very good. Breakfast was okay - we would have preferred more fresh fruit but the hotel seemed very busy and perhaps they just ran out.
We loved the bowls of coconut at the pool and in the lobby. It was nice having free internet in the lobby to use even though we had an iPad and bought an internet package.

Room Tip: Over the water villas are worth the money. Try to get the last one so you only have neighbors on one...
Dear Sir, Madame,

Thank you for your gracious comments and for sharing your experience with others.
We are very grateful of you very good comments regarding food quality and we look forward to welcoming you back in paradise in the near future.
With warm regards,

Littleton, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

My wife turned 50. To celebrate we planned our dream vacation with a week on Maui, an 11 day cruise to Tahiti, and 4 nights at the Hilton hotel on an island in Tahiti called Moorea. The Hilton in Moorea was the high-lite of the trip. We were in hut 86 (panoramic view, over the water bungalow). The bungalow was great, air conditioned, clean, comfortable, a perfect romantic getaway. The bungalow had a large bathroom with a walk in shower, a king sized bed.

I should point out that it was the last bungalow in the line and as a result we had 180 degree view of ocean and island with no other huts in view. We were surrounded by coral reef and the snorkeling was incredible. We saw literally hundreds of species of fish, clams, coral, etc. We say an Eagle Spotted ray, a giant moray eel, black tip sharks, two octopus' (one lived in a hole 10 yards directly north of our hut) and so many fish that I ended up buying a Tahiti fish guide (I must have seen a dozen species that were not in the book).

Frankly, we spent 4 days at this place but spent all but a few hours in our hut, the balcony, or in the water. We didn't spend much time in the rest of the resort. I should say that the head french chef was very friendly and he manned the omelet buffet every morning (I strongly recommend paying the extra fee to get the breakfast buffet added to your room). The fresh local fruit was excellent (pineapple, mango, papaya, coconut, etc.). They also have a daily demo/class at 4:00 that was interersting. We attended the coconut session and the "making a laia" session.

What little contact we had with the staff was great. All requests were accommodated cheerfully.

The one regret I had was that I didn't take an underwater camera. If you are going to spend the coin to stay at the Hilton Moorea, get an underwater camera....

Room Tip: i recommend bungalow 86 or 87.
Dear Sir, Madame,

We are delighted to read that you stay at the Hilton Moorea was the highlight of your trip. We are all of us dedicated to our guests and your comments serve us as an inspiration to help us in our continued commitment.

LA, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

I stayed and toured every single hotel in Moorea, and I am telling you that there is 100% NO competition on where you should stay: The Hilton Moorea Lagoon.

Offering the NICEST entry level garden bungalows, the BEST over water bungalows, the cleanest rooms, and a lovely atmosphere in the public areas, why would you stay anywhere else. The food was also great, offering a true international selection. The lagoon is lovely, with its own barrier creating beautiful water and great for snorkling.

Don't hesitate! Make staying at the Hilton Moorea a priority.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Dear Sir, Madame,

Thank you very much for taking the time to convey such gracious comments about us.
Please rest assured that I shared your review with the Hilton Moorea team.
We look forward welcoming back in the near future.

Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

I just got back from an eight day stay (3 nights Hilton moorea and 5 nights Hilton bora bora). I must tell you that I stalked trip advisor for months prior to our visit to make sure I had all of the tips and details to make this a fabulous trip.

I preferred the Hilton moorea and my husband preferred the Hilton bora bora. Moorea resort is much smaller and we literally had the best bungalow on the property. Room 107 is very private, great afternoon sun and front row seats to the beautiful sunsets. The water is shallow and the snorkeling is amazing. I wouldn't recommend a garden bungalow as you will have more creatures in your room (no bugs in owb) and the roosters are very loud in the morning. The staff was very friendly and the breakfast buffet was delicious.

Our favorite part of our evening was taking a short stroll to the crepe bar for dinner and drinks every night. The chef is very passionate about creating delicious meals. We ate dinner there every night of our stay. I recommend the seafood crepe that is served in a wine sauce... Out of this world!

We can't wait to go back with our daughters once hey are finished with college. This was a dream vacation.

Room Tip: 107 panoramic owb - incredible location!
Dear Sir, Madame,

Thank you for sharing your great experience with others and for staying at the Hilton Moorea.
Warm regards

Rmaballet
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

Absolutely beautiful hotel with amazing snorkeling right off the beach! We had a garden villa with our own private pool and it was perfect! The bathroom was huge and the room was spacious as well. Our private deck was large and we enjoyed sun bathing on our own deck. We paddle boarded in the lagoon and snorkeled numerous times. There are fish and even sting rays right off of the beach! Amazing snorkeling so close to the hotel. We even saw an octopus! very friendly staff and even a computer in the lobby with free internet! The breakfast buffet was delicious every morning.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir, Madame,

Thank you for choosing the Hilton Moorea and for taking the time to convey such gracious comments about us. We are delighted to read you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Olivier Larcher

Been to Hilton Moorea Lagoon Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!