“Brentwood Hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Kilbirnie
Invercargill, New Zealand
“Brentwood Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

We recently stayed at the Brentwood Hotel over Labour Weekend. Upon arrival at the Hotel we weren't that impressed with the Receptionist on duty when we checked in. She wasn't very friendly. Not sure that she is happy in her work. The rooms were nice, clean and comfortable.
Disappointed that there wasn't a shuttle service into town as we spent quite a bit of money having to get taxis. We ate Breakfast at the Hotel which was nice, also had an evening meal there which was also very nice. I think this Hotel would suit people travelling in and out of the Airport but we would have been better to have stayed closer to the city.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
BrentwoodManager, General Manager at Brentwood Hotel, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear Love2create, Thank you for submitting a review of your recent stay at the Brentwood Hotel. I am disappointed to read of the welcome you received at reception on check-in as we recognise the importance that all of our front line staff provide a friendly welcome on arrival. We appreciate your comments regarding the cleanliness and comfort of the rooms, and that you enjoyed your meals. Our shuttle service is dedicated for airport transfers to/from the hotel however there are regular bus services into the inner city.
Anthony Dey, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

My stay was for 2 weekday nights. I chose the hotel due to the free airport shuttle service, the short walk to the Wellington Aquatic Centre and supermarket. I had one dinner by room service and the second night in the hotel Aqua Bistro. The variety of food options and service were good. The only complaint I had here was the meat (chicken, fish that I had) seemed to be a little dry as if it had been sitting under a food heater for too long. The flavors of the dishes were good.
The room was dated but it was clean and spacious. I stayed in one of the the upper level executive rooms. The word "executive" does not match the room and facilities to my experience of other hotels. The room did not provide a comfortable desk and chair to work. The room had adequate power points.
The floor of the hotel in this area was of timber floor boards so I could hear people walking around at all hours. If you are a light sleeper this could be a problem.
Overall the value for money was good.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear BayTheBay, Thank you for taking the time to submit a review of your recent stay at the Brentwood Hotel. I have discussed your comments regarding your meals with our restaurant team as we place considerable importance on achieving a high standard of meal presentation and quality. To clarify our room types, our upper floor rooms are designated as standard rooms, with ground floor rooms designated superior. We aim to provide value for money accommodation services and I appreciate that you found this to be the case. I trust that we will have the opportunity to host you again the next time you are in Wellington.
New Plymouth, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I like hotels that are open 24 hours. The Brentwood provides a free shuttle to and from the airport,with its own direct free phone service at the airport. There have been times though when I have waited a while for the shuttle to pick me up from the airport but thats probably due to the timing clashing with other travellers loading and offloading from the shuttle. I like being picked up right outside the main door of the airport. The best thing I've liked about the Brentwood is that when I had to travel from the Central Hawkes Bay to take my mother to the Wellington airport to catch her flight to the South Island, we stayed at the Brentwood the night before her flight. The next morning we caught the shuttle and I stayed at the airport to see mum off, then caught shuttle back to hotel not having to worry about paying for airport parking. Then I took my time to get ready, and pack up my gear for my roadtrip home.

Room Tip: If you need to book a room for the disabled, be aware that the designated carpark is outside the off...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
BrentwoodManager, General Manager at Brentwood Hotel, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Dear bjandco, Thank you for taking the time to submit a review of your recent stay at the Brentwood Hotel. Our free airport shuttle service is a dedicated service only operating between the Hotel and the Airport. It is an on demand service and we endeavour to provide a prompt pick-up/drop-off service however there are occasions when due to the number of guests requiring transport that we experience slight delays. We look forward to having the opportunity to host you again on your next visit to Wellington
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Great location to the Asb sports centre. I went there with a u14's girls futsal group from Australia to play a tournament and they had a great time. The fireplace at reception gave the hotel a very welcoming and homely feel which the girls appreciated after playing their games each day. Best hash browns and pastries I've had in a long time too!

• Stayed October 2012
Dear lolitasmith, Thank you for taking time to submit a review of your recent stay at the Brentwood Hotel. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and appreciated the homely ambience of the hotel. We look forward to hosting you again the next time you compete at the ASB Sports Centre.
Stratford, New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

I stayed at the Brentwood hotel for two nights while attending a conference there. The hotel is very close to Wellington airport (about 5 minutes in a taxi). The conference facilities are good and it is obvious that hosting conferences is the hotels main purpose and specialty. The rooms however are old and in much need of a makeover. The decor is drab and the room I stayed in smelt musty.

The room was fitted with a heater and no air conditioning. So if you want to cool down you must open a window. This is fine however the traffic noise and the noise of aircraft is quite significant. On one entire half of my bed, the mattress springs had collapsed which made it impossible to sleep on that side.

The bathroom was slightly more modern than the rest of the room and was a bit cluttered. I stayed in an upstairs room (there are only two floors) and there is no lift so expect to have to lug your suitcases one flight. The floors throughout the accommodation wings are creaky so people walking past your room make quite a bit of noise.

The restaurant serves average quality food at standard prices. The staff in the restaurant and throughout the hotel are friendly and attentive. Overall the hotel focuses more on the conference experience but could pay a bit more attention to the accommodation.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms are quieter.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear BaPvE, Thank you for submitting a review of your recent stay while attending conference at the Brentwood Hotel. I am pleased that you found the conference facilities good and while it is our speciality, sports groups and airport travellers are also an important part of our business. We are aware that our rooms are due for refurbishment and it is our intention to begin an upgrade programme next year which includes ongoing bed replacement. While there is no lift to the upper floor, Porters are available to assist guests with luggage to their rooms. I apologise if this service was not offered to you at the time of check-in. Once again thank you for your comments and I trust that we may have the opportunity to host you again the next time you travel to Wellington.
Masterton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

My family often flies to Australia but have not stayed the night before in Wellington. Due to a very early start I found the Brentwood Hotel on line and am so pleased that I did. The staff are polite and friendly, the room was clean, tidy and modern and the shuttle service to the airport was a pleasant experience. We left our car at no charge and on returning rang them from the airport, the shuttle arrived within 5 minutes, the front desk had our keys available and we were able to leave.
I wouldn't hesitate in recommending this hotel to stay and we will be using their service again without a doubt.
Well done Brentwood Hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Rae A, Thank you for submitting a review of your recent stay at the Brentwood Hotel and for your favourable comments regarding our service and facilities. The location of the Hotel does offer a convenient and peace of mind accommodation solution for travellers departing Wellington on the early morning Trans Tasman flights. We look forward to hosting you again the next time you travel through Wellington.
new zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012

I was attending a conference in Wellington and the location of this hotel was great. It is close to airport, close to new stadium, pool etc. However, being close to an airport means it is noisey with airport noise, and also travellers coming and going at all times including early in the morning and later in the evenings. My main gripe was the bed. It was so hard that I tried the main bed, spare bed and sofa bed. One of other persons on the same conference said she had a shocking sleep as her bed was very uncomfortable. Brentwood is tidy, food facilities and location handy near the airport, but the lack of a good sleep sropped the rating for me.

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
BrentwoodManager, General Manager at Brentwood Hotel, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
Dear poppynz, Thank you for taking time to submit a review of your recent stay at the Brentwood Hotel. It is disappointing that both you and a colleague found your beds to be uncomfortable on this occasion. We are replacing beds on an ongoing basis and have changed our bed supplier. We recognise the importance of providing a quality bed for a restful nights sleep. I am pleased that you found the location, tidiness and food favourable. We look forward to having the opportunity to host you again on your next visit to Wellington.
Anthony Dey, General Manager

Been to Brentwood Hotel? Share your experiences!