“good food” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 1 Snells Beach B&B and Inns
Wellington, New Zealand
“good food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

the restaurant at this establishmet was exelent with staff attentive and helpfull which complemented te well presented and very tasty meal, reception staff caterd to requests in a timley manner , room well appointed and quiet

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Debzverne, Owner at The Salty Dog Inn, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful comments. We hope that every guest has a memorable experience and we are glad in your case that this seems to have happened. We look forward to assisting you next time you are in our neck of the woods. Until then take care. Kind regards Debbie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

The website states "It blends Olde English character and style, with modern luxury, accommodation and fine dining." I think that is a shame because this place is not luxury and there is no fine dining. The rooms are confortable, clean and have everything you need, the service is friendly and flexible, the food is good bistro/pub food (we have one meal excellent and one not so good), and the place has real character. It is the hub of the local community and is located in a convenient spot. It is very handy having meals, a bar and accomidation all in one place. The gardens and grounds are also very pleasant. The atmosphere is relaxed. We were very happy and would return. There is just no need for it promise to be things it isnt. What it is, is great and I think would appeal to many people.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Debzverne, Owner at The Salty Dog Inn, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Thank you firstly for taking the time to write a review. Your comments have been noted and feedback is extremely important to making our business a success. We are in the process of revamping the old website with a new and will amend the wording as such. Take care until we see you again. Kind regards, Debbie Patten
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We've returned many times to the Salty Dog Inn bistro for dinner and a drink. The fish and chips are always delicious and fresh, the mussel fritters also a real favourite. Served with lashing of crispy fries, tartare sauce and a substantial salad. Just beautiful. Donna, the manager, is warm, friendly, very efficient, and the atmosphere is relaxed, convivial and perfect for all the family. The chefs really turn out great food, from gourmet pizza to juicy beef fillet...do try the mussels fritters which are made fresh and to die for. Drinks are well priced and good sized, wine list has some quality local drops from the surrounding region. Donna knows her wines so go with her recommendation.
Highly recommend, our favourite place. A++. :-) PS We haven't stayed in the accommodation but it looks very smart and modern.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Debzverne, Owner at The Salty Dog Inn, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Your comments on our wonderful Donna are soooooo true. She is a star and we love her. We have a great team at the Salty Dog Inn, very much a family. We are glad your experience was a memorable one, we aim to please. kind regards, Debbie
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Thank you so much Salty Dog for being so accommodating. We arrived with a large group which included several small children we were greeted warmly and without hesitation seated in a lovely room unfortunately it was spoilt by a group of 6 people who I believe felt that children should be seen and not heard (quite frankly miserable and needed to stay at home). The food was devine and we went away highly satisfied recommending the Salty Dog to all. Well done!!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Debzverne, Owner at The Salty Dog Inn, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Thank you for your lovely feedback. We are so thrilled you enjoyed your evening and meals. we do hope you will join us again.

Take care until then. Kind regards Debbie Patten
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

Where to start. I took my in laws for a meal as a thank you for putting up the family over Christmas and New Year. We soon all wished I hadn't.
We were greeted in the restaurant by pre school kids screaming, shouting ,running around and throwing paper aeroplanes everywhere.
However the real let down was the quality, quantity and presentation of the food.
dad in law had pork, it was ok (this was the best choice of the night)
my eldest son and I had steak. when it arrived I asked if it was supposed to have fries or potatoes with it as the portions looked meagre.. (was told no)
my youngest asked for lamb (I had concerns when he ordered that he would finish it) I did not have to worry when it arrived I was shocked to see it only had 3 small pieces of lamb surrounded by veg which was saturated in gravy. Unfortunately my son likes dry veg, I made a comment on how they could charge $31 yes $31 for 3 small pieces of lamb( in a country that has more sheep than people). I was most unimpressed. Next, mum in law had ordered childrens meal of pasta. She said the sauce was nice but the past was a bit hard. Hard! it was raw!!, not al dente but raw.
My partner ordered fun guy vegetarian rissotto (the only fun guy here was the comedian pretending to be a chef). Rissotto!, it was rice with some veggies mashed in but they were poorly done and rissotto was all in clumps. However the worst was then my partner tried to eat the main part of the dish (3 mushrooms), there was so much salt on them I thought they were from the Dead Sea. They were totally inedible. I think the chef was trying to keep in tone with the first part of the restaurants name. This was the last straw and I complained, my partner then asked for fish and chips from the childrens menu. When it arrived it was fish nuggets and chips, not actually a fish.
I dont know if the chef was on holiday or not, but if not he(she) needs immediate retraining (or replacing) with special guidance given to salt application on food and portion sizes.
I shall certainly never dine there again and would not recommend any passing tourists to do so either.
The locals apparantly have already made their mind up regarding dining (I spoke to a couple and told them about my experience, general opinion was "thats about right, a nice place to drink but not dine")
I will try to leave on a positive note, the staff were pleasant (a bit slow regarding drink refills but pleasant). The cutlery on the table was clean.
The drinks themselves were nicely chilled. I would return for a drink but certainly never to dine.
Alan

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Debzverne, Owner at The Salty Dog Inn, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Very Sad that we didn't delivery a memorable experience for you. We aim to please and as the old story goes we can only please some of the people some of the time. I hope that one day we will get the opportunity to redeem ourselves however understand that this doesn't always happen. Take care. Kind regards Debbie
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

We ate at the pub while staying in Snells Beach we were made feel welcome on both occasions we came once for a drink only. The young guy behind the bar was very friendly and welcoming. The pizza and fries we had for lunch one day were just devine, the pizza had a lovely thin base and the topping were generousand tasty well worth it. The bowl of fries was really good value for 4.50.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reidsville, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2012

We just checked out after a 12 day stay. Even though it was the off season (winter) the rooms were comfortable and spacious. We had room 6 which had two king (twin) and a fold out couch. The couch bed looked well worn but was sleepable. The bathroom was very nice and our every request was met w a positive answer. I HEARTILY RECOMMEND THIS ACCOMODATION and eatery!

Room Tip: Great value for the money