“Very Comfortable Stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 4 Bellingham B&B and Inns
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“Very Comfortable Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

The atmosphere at this hotel has to be one of the selling points. Each night that we stayed the bar and restaurant were busy which for me shows the signs of a quality place to be, especially when there are other places very close by. The food was of restaurant quality and could be enjoyed either within the bar area or the seperate restaurant. As the bar had such a good atmosphere we ate here both nights and were still given top quality service. The menu was diverse and most tastes were catered to. Breakfast was excellent again with a range of choice and local produce used where possible.

The room was well equipt, with the family room having a "Nespresso" machine. The bed was huge and very comfortable, room was peaceful and there was also a large TV if that is what you are looking for.

The staff at the hotel were very pleasant and despite how busy the bar was the owners did their very best to make sure we felt it a home from home. There is an excellent wine choice, which is good value for money, and some interesting guest ales. There were some excellent recommendations for what activities to undertake in the area as we had very little knowledge. Each of which were very enjoyable and inexpensive.

I would recommend the Cheviot for the overall experience I had, it certainly put some good finishing touches which made for a very enjoyable weekend.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

We enjoyed a well cooked and generous breakfast pleasantly served by one of the owners/managers. However the experience was let down by a "smallish" room with a bath (description given on booking). It was almost claustrophobic with a comfortable (though my husband said his side sloped) super king bed but not much else. It all looked VERY tired and in dire need of a refurb. Ditto the corridor and stairs. It was expensive at £80 for B&B. Unfortunately we didn't have an evening meal the night before as the hotel was serving a large party and could only choose from a "takeaway" menu before 6.30 pm or after 8.15 pm so we chose to eat elsewhere. The hotel has plans to refurbish - perhaps worth going again once the rooms are upgraded.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Sheffield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

We had an evening meal here as we were camping nearby. We had a lovely evening. The bar has a good atmosphere and the restaurant is very pleasant. We shared a duck spring roll for starter which was excellent. My husband really enjoyed his spare ribs. I ordered curry which was ok but not amazing. Probably my fault for ordering curry-coming from Birmingham originally I have high standards and don't usually order curry in pubs for this reason! The service was very good and the price very reasonable. I can't comment on the beer as I didn't drink but my husband liked his pint. We would return if we are in the area again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We were staying at the camping and caravan club site just out of Bellingham and decided to have our last night's meal here. Both chose the rack of lamb with truffle mash, Provencale veg and rosemary jus and both thought it was magnificent. Lamb very tender and cooked just as we'd requested. He enjoyed his local beer and I thought my Pint Gris was pleasant without being exceptional. The biscuits and cheese were polished off with gusto but I was a litlte disappointed with the pear and almond tart which was on the dry side, very little evidence of pear in its composition. However it was redeemed by a fabulous ginger icecream accompaniment. Extremely good value for around £50 for the meal and drinks.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Egremont, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

We spent two nights in this small hotel/B&B, our room was at the front of the hotel overlooking the main street, which was reasonably busy but with the window closed the room was quiet. Our room (No.5) had recently been redecorated and had a very large comfy bed, the bathroom could have done with an upgrade but was adequate. The rest of the stairways and hall need refurbishing and new carpets, having the kitchen on the first floor didn't help with the traffic on the stairs. However all that said the staff were very friendly and welcoming the room was clean and comfy and suited our needs fully.
The restaurant and food was extremely good and the breakfast was the best we've ever had in a hotel, (some costing a lot more than we paid) and lasted us the whole of the day, of course if you wanted less then you only had to ask.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

We were cycling the reivers route earlier this month and stayed in Bellingham overnight. We ate here and had a great meal with a good choice of beers. There is a separate restaurant, which if like me you prefer to eat in a quieter situation, was a welcome surprise. We then went into the bar for drinks after the meal. The pub was a lively locals pub, but we all felt welcome and had a great night.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

Stayed one night while walking the Pennine Way. It was the perfect stopover. The landlord & landlady are extremely friendly (in fact, all the staff went out of their way to chat to you); the pub side was warm & friendly with cracking beer, a free jukebox and a pool table & dart board. The restaurant has been nicely redecorated and the menu is varied. Breakfast the next day received top marks - particularly the poached eggs on toast which made me a little jealous as I can't do my 'poachies' that good.
The rooms upstairs aren't the most modern looking but they are extremely spacious and the beds are the most comfy we have stayed in throughout the entire walk.
I'm a shower lover & my room only had a bath but it was deep & the water ran swiftly so it wasn't an inconvenience.
The presence of Tunnocks Caramel Wafers on the tea tray were a winning touch!
I would thoroughly recommend it to anyone planning a stay in Bellingham, whether its for one night or more.
I also noticed that they have a couple of meeting rooms so I'll bear it in mind for the next team away day also.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Been to Cheviot Hotel? Share your experiences!