We stayed for the Crop Over week in July/Aug 2011.
We found this place primarily based on budget (and location) as we had booked our second week in the Turtle Beach Resort. My wife did a lot of research and Villa Marie came up on our short list.
We stayed in the apartment and even in the Bajan off season we needed the air conditioning. It was a large apartment with the bedroom being on a gallery up a spiral staircase. There was a small double sofa bed made up for our two teenage boys but Peter was happy to provide a camp bed too. There were mosquito nets for two main beds. You do need them as our youngest is prone to bites and he got a few.
You get a kitchenet in the main large living room (not really sutable for large scale cooking but that was the last thing we wanted to do). You also get the use of the main large open plan kitchen & dining area that all guests can use. The bathroom is large and a bit dated but clean and functional.
Our biggest concern was the lack of a swimming pool (there's certainly room for one) but the beach is really close by (at the bottom of the road). To be honest the simple arrangements made sure we got out and about and made the most of this week. The gardens have huge mango trees in them and there are a couple of lounge areas to chill out and enjoy a Banks or Mountgay rum with Peter &/or the other guests.
Peter was a great host. Security was not an issue as he is a Sylvester Stallone lookalike! Sure he has opinions but we had done some research of our own so the combination of his experience and our sense of adventure was a great mix!
Also we didn't really notice dogs, cockerals, etc, that other people have complained about.
Would we go back - definately! Enjoy!!
- Use all forms of local transport to get out and about. the louder the reggae buses the better as far as I'm concerned!! You do not need a car to stay here.
- Try the local's restaurant & bar in Fitts Village (Annie's ??). The locals were friendly as were the staff. Rather than read the menu just ask whats left, its a lot easier!!
- The Italian restaurant at the bottom of the road was pricey but good for seafront drinks during its happy hour.
- There's a small/medium sized supermarket (Jordans) nearby so shopping was not an issue without a car.
- Outside of Fitts Village we enjoyed eating at the Ramshackle bar, Just Grillin', Oistin's Fish Fry & Fast Eddie's ribs van.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- "A home away from home" Villa Marie Guesthouse is a european style guesthouse with a tropical touch!It offers 7 rooms in total,including two self-contained loft-apartments,which are one of a kind in Barbados!All rooms are spacious and provide ensuite bathrooms!The rooms are located on two floors, additionally there is a large,fully equipped kitchen,bistro,dining-room downstairs !The patios,the lovely garden invite our guest to enjoy the casual,family-type atmosphere at Villa Marie!Villa Marie is perfectly located,only 300 yards away from the beach andhaving a supermarket,two local diners,bus-stops and two restaurants in walking distance!We do look foward to see you at Villa Marie in the near future......happy holidays! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity and Despegar.com so you can book your Villa Marie Guesthouse reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Villa Marie Guesthouse Hotel Saint James