“Apex Festival at Lydden Hill Race Circuit” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Lydden
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
London, United Kingdom
“Apex Festival at Lydden Hill Race Circuit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

I went to the Apex Festival at Lydden last year, a friend had recommended it so thought it worth a try. I had also never been to Lydden before although it looked interesting when I checked it out online. So I was sure what to expect as I turned off the A2 into the venue, however, any doubt was soon dispelled. The venue was buzzing with activity and the site is just perfect for spectating. The circuit is at the bottom of it's own little valley and you can see all the track from virtually everywhere. The Festival was only in it's second year but there was action on and off the track during the day and, when the circuit closed, there was a proper drive-in movie followed by a silent disco on the Saturday. I haven't laughed so much watching all the revellers having a great time but with no noise! The food on offer was fantastic, all freshly prepared and cooked by little independent companies who clearly loved what they did. It was a toss up between the wood-fired pizzas and the amazing pulled pork - actually it wasn't, I had both and enjoyed every last mouthful. I really enjoyed the event last year and have already booked my tickets for early May. I will also definitely return to Lydden to see some of the varied racing that they put on, looking forward to the Rallycross, especially the World Rallycross at the end of May. I can highly recommend the venue and the Apex Festival as something to explore! There seemed to be a lot going on for the kids and you can even take the dog as Ge0rge1972 says.

Visited May 2013

London, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
“We love Lydden Hill Race Circuit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

It's a grass roots motorsport venue, with lots of drifting, rally cross and even a few family fun festivals throughout the year... we are local so pop along to quite a few events.. our favourite definitely has to be the Apex Festival, a brilliant one to bring the family to (that includes the family dog!)

Visited May 2013
Wye, United Kingdom
45 attraction reviews
“An blast of the past”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

I have been going to the Lydden race circuit for years as we used to have family days out there when I was a boy! In those days it was packed and I remember having to queue to get out. Where have the crowds gone these days? It's probably because Lydden has not moved on much over the years which is good and bad. It still has the feel of a family day out and the viewing is excellent and there is no catch fencing to look through! Facilities are basic but they have installed a couple of small grandstands now. We went to the vintage bike meeting which apart from the numerous track days are the only bikes you are likely to see at Lydden these days. What happened to the iconic Lord of Lydden meeting? Those were the days. Still love the circuit though as it brings back those fond memories of the 60's/70's. There are not many circuits where you can get so close to the action.

Visited July 2013
Locking, Somerset
20 attraction reviews
“Great family day out”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

We visited on the same day as Gothnak who has already submitted a review. I agree with much of his view so will keep this short. We found more catering vans than the previous reviewer (8 in total) offering a range of food from pizzas to fish 'n chips and most things between. Although a quiet day the racing was great fun. We parked along the fence line leaving enough room to put chairs etc in front of the car. We positioned ourselves near the joker-lap section which made viewing even better. The circuit is relaxed and we brought our dog, young son and my dad along. Everybody had a great day out and we'd certainly return.

Visited August 2013
Guildford
15 attraction reviews
“Old fashioned motor racing, the good and bad.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I visited Lydden Hill for the first time in 30 years for the Msa British Rallycross championships on the Sunday. Having lived nearby as a child my dad would often bring me down, sometimes he would even be the Rac steward, so going back would always be interesting.

My partner and I decided to go for the one day, but I couldn't find anywhere online the running order for the heats and races, so plumped for the Sunday, only only buying the programme at the circuit did we realise most of the racing was on the Monday. Without having been before, how were we supposed to know this?

Getting in to the circuit from the A2 is bait of an adventure with a switchback and a rough track, but it was great to be able to watch some Motorsport without a long queue to get in. Once inside, the track and viewing area is excellent as it is a natural bowl. Unlike many circuits you an see almost every part of the track from any angle and even while sitting in your car.

Even after 24 hours of heavy rain, the venue was in good condition, but we were surprised at how quiet it was, probably only around 150 cars of spectators, hopefully everyone turned up on the Monday.

The drifting was amusing to watch, but without the commentary on (a victim of the rain), we had no idea what the rules were, although the guy in the BMW estate should have won!

Then the practice came on, which was rather too long, but the racing in the afternoon was fantastic. Perhaps mixing some of the groups was needed as the Suzuki swift junior championship was a little pointless with only 2 competitive drivers.

The amenities were very basic, with 2 refreshment vans and some very old loos, probably the same ones from when I last visited.

Overall, we enjoyed the day, it was cheap and fun entertainment. However, we won't come back on the Sunday in future when most of the racing is on the Monday.

One final word for the organisers, please stop the drifting commentator from saying 'obviously' every three words, it got quite grating!

Visited August 2013