“2 nights business” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mercure Bristol North The Grange Hotel

You added Mercure Bristol North The Grange Hotel to your Saves list
Mercure Bristol North The Grange Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   The Grange, Old Gloucester, Northwoods, Winterbourne BS36 1RP, England   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Winterbourne
London, United Kingdom
“2 nights business”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

Stayed 2 nights on business, could not fault! all staff were very friendly including reception staff! Contrary to recent reviews!! Breakfast was a combination of buffet for the continental & waited for the cooked. Quality was more than adequate. Dinner menu is a bit limited but if you can't find something you fancy then perhaps you're being picky!!!! I don't know how often the menu is changed so may be limited for a longer stay. Well cooked & well presented. A bit on the pricey side, starter, main, dessert & a coffee was £30ish, no drinks!! £22 for 3 course table d'hôte menu though!
Room was a good size, cleaned well, as was the bathroom, no air con so had to have the window open at night, may be a problem for female guests as the room was on the ground floor with a car park outside the window, flat screen TV but still has the limited channels of the hotel chain set up. No excuse for not having all the digital channels available nationally now. A big plus is free wifi throughout the hotel, glad to see Mercure are recognising internet connection is now expected as much as the iron & the kettle! service speed upgrades are available but the basic is adequate. Middle of the week stay so was very peaceful, the grounds are extensive & well back from the road, so no traffic noise! its only a lane but looked like it is a rat run, no footpath & traffic is fast so not a good idea to attempt a walk out. Well out of town so will need a car to get around or it's a taxi ride, £8-£10 from Parkway station, further to city centre. So could be a bit trapped without transport! I would imagine it could be noisy at the weekends as weddings are well promoted, so maybe worth a check first if you can!!
Only disappointment was that the indoor pool is now closed, presumably a corporate decision, it was only a small pool with a jacuzzi & a couple of exercise machines but nice to relax at the end of the day on previous visit. I hope the decision is made to reopen or replace!
Would certainly use again.

Room Tip: There is a converted stable block, away from the main hotel, may be quieter if there is a function a...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
MERCUREGrange, General Manager at Mercure Bristol North The Grange Hotel, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Mercure Bristol North The Grange Hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive constructive and positive feedback.

I am pleased to hear that overall you had a pleasant stay with us. Your comments are carefully noted and where neccessary direct action will be taken as appropriate. We are in the process of upgrading the tv selection which I hope will be in place in the next few months. I will share your comments with our team as I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services and hopefully ensure your next stay will be great.

Mehmet Kandemir

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

I sat back and watched in shock as 3 customers waited at the bar whilst one staff member, albeit as friendly as she was, tried to figure out the system whilst taking room service enquiries. Another member came in to clear dishes and just walked on by as three customers waited to be served, whilst the poor person on the phone was told she couldn't deal with room service right now. Poorly managed staff with priorities all wrong working under a system that is clearly not working.
Then there's the issue with charging food/ drinks to your room..... You require your card to be stamped on arrival.... In the absence of this I asked to pay on my card to which I was told there was no card machine in the bar area taking orders.... Just a bizarre set up really and painful to watch.....I don't tend to write up my observations but I felt I had to in this case..... As a first class flight attendant I have travelled the world staying in copious hotels... This being one of the worst experiences.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Mercure Bristol North The Grange Hotel, but I was very disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

We appreciate your feedback, and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the Mercure Bristol North The Grange Hotel and provide you with a genuine hassle-free experience.

Mehmet Kandemir

Travelers are raving about these Winterbourne hotels

Laoag, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Location: It was a lovely place. Perfect place to be away from the city.
Staff: Receptionist - (male) had a very welcoming smile and conversant. (Female) was very serious barely smiles, does not possess the welcoming attitude. Barman, was good & skilled in handling conversations, pleasant smiles too. Waiter & the waitresses at the dining area, are good. Again, seems like the female waitresses had difficult in smiling. Special mention to VAL, she was brilliant!!! She lightens up the atmosphere, she has a very good sense of humour, demonstrates confidence. Food was good, needed to wait for a very long bit due to the party going on at the hall.
Service: It seems like staffing levels was not addressed specially if there is an occasion going on at the hall. I felt like staff needed to run to one task to another - apart from that, still pleasant and was apologetic.

Over all rating: 4.5/5

Room Tip: Place is full of character. You have to drive, if not hire a taxi to go around nearby areas.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
MERCUREGrange, General Manager at Mercure Bristol North The Grange Hotel, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am pleased to hear that overall you had a pleasant stay with us. Your comments are carefully noted and where neccessary direct action will be taken as appropriate. I will share your comments with our team as I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services and hopefully ensure your next stay will be great.

Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

The Grange was the venue for our wedding in June 2012, we had a fantastic day, the staff at The Grange and Dave Stallworthy the Master of Ceremonies worked so hard to make our day run smoothly. Everyone did everything they could to make our special day even better than we could’ve imagined. We had a lovely time with our friends and family, and the children had so much fun playing in the grounds. Our guests commented on The Grange wedding venue and are still talking about the fantastic food,

We returned recently to have our complimentary meal to celebrate our first wedding anniversary. Again, the staff were welcoming and service was prompt and attentive. We chose from the table d’hote menu, only £22 for three courses, lovely food and excellent service.

I have no hesitation in recommending The Grange as a wedding venue, and Dave Stallworthy as Master of Ceremonies. Dave exuded an air of calm, the level of service was outstanding, and nothing was too small or too much of a task.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Happy anniversary!

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Mercure Bristol North The Grange Hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

I am delighted to hear that your wedding in June 2012 was fantastic and that your anniversary meal recently was equally pleasent experience. I will share your comments with our team as I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

We booked in for an overnight stay during our travels. First impressions were of a well maintained hotel with fantastic gardens and views. Check in was simple and proficient. We had a room on the upper floor which turned out to be a bonus as our one grip is that the floorboards really do squeak, we understand that the building is old but being on the bottom floor must be a nightmare with people wandering around upstairs. Bar staff were friendly and attentive as were the restaurant staff, the evening choice was not the biggest menu in the world but what their was, was excellent, everybody left the table quite full and the same for breakfast lots of choice and as much as you wanted. Considering there was a wedding on at the same time the staff were excellent and very helpful. Bar a the minor niggles of a missing TV remote which was not a problem and the squeaky floor the hotel is easy to recommend and we will do so without hesitation.

Room Tip: Go for an upper floor
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
MERCUREGrange, General Manager at Mercure Bristol North The Grange Hotel, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am pleased to hear you had a relaxing stay with us. I will share your comments with our team as I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013 via mobile

We book this hotel online and was very impresses with the hole experience. The grounds are wonderful, very nice manicured lawns and the most amazing tree to sit under.
The weather played its part, however I would have been as happy sitting in the lounge.
The staff deserve a special mention, they could not do enough for you.
The food was very good and the service was seconded to none. We are back to the staff, it is a fact that the staff are the making of any customer based organisation and this hotel is a shining example.
I will be back to this lovely example of a very relaxing well run hotel.
Many thanks.

• Stayed June 2013
Dear Guest,

I am trilled that you had a great stay with us. I will share your comments with our team as I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Kind regards

Surrey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

Stayed over on the way down to Cornwall from London. Finding the hotel was alittle tricky as it had been owned by Ramada I think, so we went into SatNav confusion!
Hotel was busy with weddings, but there was plenty of room to find a quiet spot for a gin and tonic overlooking the lawns. The food and wine were good and the breakfast was excellent with super-attentive head waiter ensuring the place ran like clockwork. We will definitely use it again - and our room was far enough from the wedding not to be disturbed by the late night partying!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear Guest,

I am delighted to hear you had a pleasent stay and will share your comments with our team as I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.

Please feel free to post your comments on www.tripadvisor.com to tell others about your stay with us.

Mehmet Kandemir

Been to Mercure Bristol North The Grange Hotel? Share your experiences!