“Very good food, but service needs work” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dining options: Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Late Night, Reservations
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Very good food, but service needs work”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Visited here on a Wednesday evening, as a first time diner.

The restaurant itself is very nice - large with an upmarket decor.

The menu is large, with around 15 starters and 30 - 40 specials and main courses! I didn't look at the dessert menu. Food prices seemed reasonable.

I ordered onion bhajis, which were very tasty and came with different sauces; a vegetable jhal fry, which was tasty and had a good kick to it from the green chillies; boiled rice and a paneer naan. My friend had the sheekh kebab; special biryani (both were really nice, and a massive portion of biryani!) and a garlic naan. We also shared a Saag Paneer, which was nice but had slightly too much oil and salt. The naan breads were tasty and very filling! I'm not a drinker so ordered a pint of diet coke. I'm always really surprised at the amount charged for soft drinks and here was no exception - £2.90! Overpriced.

The service was polite and attentive, but I really don't like when staff are stood around waiting for something to do. This was the case at the Taj. The restaurant was fairly busy, but it felt that there were perhaps too many waiting staff assigned to look after each section of the restaurant. It was the type of service where a waiter 'pounces' to clear the table as soon as you finish the last mouthful of food and place your cutlery on the plate. At one point a waiter was stood under a metre away from me whilst waiting for something to do, which was quite unnerving and felt a little awkward.

I would return to the Taj, as I enjoyed the food, but I feel the service could be improved to make guests feel more relaxed.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Bristol, United Kingdom
“Food is great, service not so much”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

This was my second trip to this restaurant, the first time being about 2 years ago which I remember as a great experience on a week night... this time, we were there at 8pm on a Saturday and it was rather different... we had reservations which are a MUST if you plan to eat there in the evening at the weekends (and I would book in the week too, it's very popular) as they were turning people away who didn't have them. We were sat at a large round table (5 of us) which was a little bit weird as it was half moon shaped so we were all kind of facing the same way. I guess it means they can join up another half table to make a big one - no big deal. Anyway, we got sat about 8.05pm so that was good and given menus. After a few minutes a young waiter turned up and seemed rather confused as he said "You guys want drinks?"... well seen as there were none on the table this seemed obvious! We ordered a couple of cokes and a bottle of wine and two waters. Time went by - no drinks, no sign of the waiter and everyone seemed to be rushing around a LOT. Eventually a different waiter came round and asked if we had ordered which we had not - he preceeded to take our order and we asked after our drinks. Still nothing. By this point we'd been sat at the table for about 15 minutes and still didn't have drinks! We grabbed a passing waiter and finally got the drinks. Then we had to wait for about 30 minutes for our food - now it was very busy in the restaurant but it seemed a bit crazy and not organised at all. Our food arrived... the curries were hot and tasted nice. The rice was a little bit dry as was the onion bhajis - they tasted like they'd been overcooked. The naan was good as had been the poppadoms before the food. There was barely any contact with the wait staff - my brother had to wait a good 10 minutes for another coke and it was slightly irritating to be dealing with about 5 different waiters. So, it was good experience but not amazing.

• Visited January 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“Whole experience was low grade.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

Very rude staff, customer service was none existence. Restaurant very noisy with tables too close together. car park was full of large puddles which meant I had wet feet for the entire duration of meal. Overall a terrible experience, definitely won't be back. Too many similarities to a cattle market.

Very disappointing customer service, we ordered a raita side dish which is meant to be yogurt infused with cucumber and spices. What we got was cheap stone cold nasty yogurt on it's own. Take a look at the photo! We complained about this twice but nothing was done about it and no apology was given. Instead they argued with us to the point where we just paid and left. So much for the customer is always right!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Bristol
“Consistently brilliant....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Great menu choice with new dishes regularly added, I have yet to have a bad meal here and I have been many times. The restaurant is very well laid out with lots of round tables, which to me, always makes for good conversation, and easy 'sharing' of great tasting food! Whatever your preference in Indian cuisine you absolutely will find something to treat your taste buds !!

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Bristol
“Excellent, as always”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

I love the Taj Brasserie. It is my number one choice of Indian restaurants and although it is a little out of my way I will go there anyway. Some friends and I dined there a few nights ago and as usual everything was excellent. The food is so tasty and plentiful, the waiting staff are lovely and very attentive, and the decor of the place is modern. They have done a really good job with the decor because although it is fresh and new, they have kept a lot of the old features of the building, such as the dark roof beams. Recommend this restaurant to all.

• Visited January 2013