“Good value” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 3 hotels in Kissonerga
St. Albans, United Kingdom
“Good value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

We stayed here in September 2011. We did not book a hotel before arriving in Cyprus and called in at practically every hotel in Paphos and a long the cost. The Cynthiana was the most reasonably priced and in a great location being on its own peninsula. We were shown a room in the main building with sea view and although clean it did not excite me too much. The hotel does need a bit of a makeover and I think my face must have shown it as the receptionist took us to the Olympian wing and offered us a room there for the same price. This did the trick and instead of staying two nights we stayed for a whole week. The room was spacious and the view to die for! The staff are very friendly , the Olympian pool very quiet and relaxing and the beach bar fun for watching strong swimmers braving the rough sea. For me- I swam in the calm man made area! I grew quite fond of the Cynthiana.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

407 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Gloucester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2012

Have visited this Hotel many times in the past and we keep going because the location is awesome. However, the hotel has been invaded by very rude Russian people in recent years and don't go half board as the food is very average.

However, the grounds are very nice and if you look around you can find very quiet spots to just relax and take it all in. There are also some great restaurants within two minutes walk, Doria's Beach restaurant is outstanding and we ate there every night it was that good.

There is a bus you can catch to visit the more busier coral bay and Paphos itself. If you want to see other parts of Cyprus get a car.

The rooms need refurbishing badly and the air con in the hotel room broke for us on several occasions. For the money though its OK and lets face it you don't stay in the room that long.

Definitely upgrade to superior room and get sea view as its stunning.

Room Tip: Upgrade to superior and get sea view. Go B&B and visit Doria's restaurant.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Luton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

just returned home from 10 wonderfully days half board at the Cynthiana Hotel. Reception very pleasant, efficient & happy to help, very large hotel split into 3-4 buildings a little bit of a maze but that just adds to the excitement of new surroundings. Breath taking views of the sea, private beach, gardens. There are 2-3 swimming pools, Gym, Sauna, Table tennis, Poole table and daily activities eg Aqua Aerobics if you wish to take part. Plenty of sun beds to go around do look at pictures on web site to get a better idea very well maintained. Food was plentiful & very well cooked, lots of variety, evening meals at least 3 x different meats and fish, potatoes, rice, pasta abundance of salads & fresh cream gateau’s, cakes & ice cream, excellent service from waiting staff, friendly & attentive wow surprisingly only ½ a stone heavier. The only gripe for my husband & I was that there was no kettle in rooms, they charge 2.50 Euros daily if you want tea & coffee, so we bought a kettle & made our own, all the plug sockets take three pin. The hotel is in need of TLC as it is frayed at the edges BUT the rooms are cleaned & towels changed daily, I would highly recommend this hotel great value for money. We will be back.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

This hotel is obviously well used and popular for return visits as was experienced by us from 19th - 26th September. It is in need of some re-decoration and updating but everywhere is spotlessly clean and the Staff are very efficient and friendly. It was nice have a leisurely breakfast and then relax in relative peace around the pool in the Olympian Wing during the day and have a pleasant dip in the sea in the early evening. The food was plentiful and varied with themed dishes from around the world each night. All in all a very pleasant and worthwhile stay in hotel that was situated in a position on its own and not surrounded by plethera of other tourist attractions .

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking Coral Bay or in Olympian Wing would be our choice
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Stayed here at the end of September with friends from the uk. The hotel is on a very beautiful setting with amazing sea views. Everything run smoothly during our stay. The staff was always so kind and helpful and the quality of food in the restaurant, both breakfast and dinner, was really high. Overall we had a relaxing holiday at Cynthiana and we all enjoyed it really much.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Alcester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

Just returned from a weeks stay at this hotel near Paphos in Cyprus and have to say we were disappointed with the experience.

Our room was in desperate need of refurbishment and looked very tired. The furniture looked like it had been there since the 1970's, the bathroom was awful with mould on the ceiling and around the wall tiles. I awoke one morning to find ants all over my toothbrush and sink area. The rooms had no tea / coffee making facilities, just a dirty looking thermos flask of water and the TV sounded like it was just about to bust into flames when we watched the only 2 british channels available (BBC1 and Sky News). If you are not staying all inclusive expect food and drinks at the hotel to be costly but to be honest, it's not much better out of the hotel either.

If you were to ask what the plus points of the hotel were I would say the staff were pleasant, friendly and willing to help, the views from the pool area and beach area are fantastic and the buffet food served was ok.

Overall I think our holiday would have been satisfactory if the hotel rooms were to standard but I think it is safe to say I will not be staying at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Obviously, because of the fantastic views, try and get a sea view room.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

We have visited the Cynthiana beach several times now, why do we keep going back ?. Well, the position of this hotel is wonderful. You do need a car. The staff are so helpful, reception staff, Elana, ellna,you know who you are, your sisters name is Barbara, you were the best XX, restaraunt manager Stavros,and the head wine waiter so nice.
The hotel is very clean, the maids do a wonderful job.
I now know now that there are a lot of Russians and french staying at this hotel. They do not understand "form an orderly line" for your meal, look out for being elbowed out. Avoid when they are eating, about 7-30pm. Sorry, French people and Russian people, I only am telling the truth.
You eat your meals like a pack of hungry lions. You all take food like you are packing for next days lunch, which we know is what you are doing. Godness talk about cheese and crackers, in your handbags as quick as a flash, and fruit, apples, oranges are packed in your bags like sardines.
Shall we talk about dress code, well as you enter the restaraunt there is a sign, it does say for men, trousers. Forget that, flip flops, shorts which have been worn all day, smelly T shirts, that is just the women. Men are even more smelly. Pigs eating at a trough
I came down, showered, dressed and I smell nice. What the hell did I other bother for ?
Evening meal in a restaraunt, more like a roadside cafe, not the service of your staff, they were excellent.
Lets talk about the pool, no diving, no inflatables. BIG SIGN AT THE SIDE OF YOUR POOL Are you kidding me, I am not a very good swimmer, I would like to think you are not going to dive onto my head, but you did, you brought out you big rings your inflatables. If Cynthiana Beach you do not inpose your rules, why do you have them ?
May/June very empty, weather good during the day, evenings a bit cold. September, very hot, need air conditioning.
Be prepared for the rude bunch. Look for a five star hotel. I shall be sad, I love this hotel, I like the people who run it. Cannot stand the clients you have now.
I was at the cocktail party, 2012. Have to say most of them were not even staying at the Cynthiana they came for a free feed. Free bar, I had one drink, would have had another one but could not get near the bar because of the FREELOARDERS, YOU SHOULD GET AN UPDATE ON YOUR DATA BASE. Spoke to many of them, they are staying down the road, but still use your pool and all your facilities, which is why I could never find a sunbed. I suspect Cynthiana Beach wil never read this post. Such a pity. You are being taken for a ride, I have been taken for a ride, I paid a LOT of money to stay with you. You said at one time you were disabled friendly. no you are not. Your staff are helpful, I wish your treated all your clients the same way. I think you should withdraw from the UK market. Yout hotel has now been taken over by eastern europeans. English people neeed different food. No. we do not want chips, we want Cyrpriot food. We want an adventure. We are British, we do not do the normal, we invent.

Room Tip: Rooms over the reception are quieter, stick to the main building, where the reception is. Or if yo...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Cynthiana_Management, Owner at Cynthiana Beach Hotel, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Dear Barbara, Thank you for taking the time to write your second review about our hotel. Also we would like to thank you for visiting our hotel for so many times. I guess we are doing something right, right?
However we feel that we have to respond to your comments regarding your opinion about Cynthiana.
As it was a high season period and the hotel had too many guests, there were a lot of people dining in the restaurant. Regardless the nationality of our guests, the staff of the hotel was trying really hard to accommodate and run the operation of the restaurant as smooth as possible. In every hotel in the world you meet different nationalities, different people (some of them are nice but some not so nice). Here at the Cynthiana we accept any nationality from anywhere in the world and we DO NOT distinguish between guests. Our staff and management make great efforts in providing the best of holiday experience to all of our guests.
The dressing code in the restaurant for dinner is formal and men are required to wear long trousers. However the incident you mentioned will be investigated. Also we will investigate as of why there were inflatables in the swimming pool and give an appropriate solution.
Also I would like to mention that our cocktail party of 2012 was a big success and our repeater guests found it to be one of the best. Irene mentioned to us that you and your mother had a really nice chat and a lovely time.
Another point in your review is that we never read your review. Please note that we have responded to your first review and we do the same here. So we do read reviews from our guests and respond accordingly in an effort to make things better.
In anyway we are lookng forward to welcome you again next year and provide you with a better holiday experience.

Been to Cynthiana Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!