“Holiday” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Queen's Bay Hotel

Save Saved
You added Queen's Bay Hotel to your Saves list
Queen's Bay Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Coral Bay Road | PO Box 60416, Kissonerga, Paphos 8102, Cyprus   |
Ranked #2 of 3 hotels in Kissonerga
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Holiday”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

Had enjoyable week here would go again Staff were very helpful the hotel was clean and tidy food was lovely the facilities were great enjoyed ourselves very much location was just right for what we were looking for this holiday

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

586 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (163)
Stoke on Trent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

A small group of four of us had a great two week break at this hotel. Rooms kept very clean by hard working staff. I contacted the hotel manager David Dorrington prior to travelling and informed him it was my wedding anniversary on our arrival day. Our flight arrived late and the bottle of wine left in our room was very welcome so I would have to say that the customer relations of this hotel are second to non. All the staff were very efficient and we were well looked after. I have no hesitation in reccomending this hotel and we are looking forward to next year so we can visit again.

Room Tip: worth the bit extra for a sea view room
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Nottingham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

I've just got back from Queen's Bay hotel and I had a lovely relaxing week. Going towards the end of the season meant not having to fight for a sun bed, and plenty of good service. I went for the all inclusive option, being on my own meant I didn't want the hassle of finding my own food every day. There was plenty of variety, meat, fish, potatoes, rice and salad. It was always hot and fresh and the waiters that came to take drinks orders were always polite and friendly.
I had a room with a sea view, which was an amazing view. Yes the balconies are small as others have mentioned, but there was more than enough room to sit and enjoy the view when you weren't round the pool. It was always clean, with tea and coffee included in AL (but you have to ask for milk from the bar as there is no fridge in the room).
The entertainment wasn't the best, but I don't go on holiday for that reason! It's a nice bar where you can have a quiet drink whilst listening to some live music and the waiters were friendly and chatty.
You can take the bus to Paphos from the main road up from the hotel. It's three euros for a day pass, but beware that the buses get really busy and they'll ram as many tourists on as possible. The hotel also offers a bus service for about four euros, you have to book at reception. The only downside to doing this is that they pick you up after only a few hours so if you want a proper look around Paphos, then you're better to get the main bus.
I chose this hotel because I didn't want to be in a busy, loud hotel and I wanted somewhere a bit more secluded. I chose right for me, and if I go back to Paphos then I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

Travel dates: 14th October - 21st October 2012.

Booking: tried to book Queen's Bay Hotel through lowcostholidays.com but after 5 days we were told the booking hadn't gone through. Called the hotel and made a booking direct - excellent service and assistance from David Dorrington and fortunately our holiday plans weren't ruined in the end no thanks to LCH.

Location: hotel is ideally located, approx 15 minutes in either direction from Coral Bay (best stretch of sandy beach in the area) and Paphos by local bus service (1 euro each way, or 3 for a day ticket with unlimited travel). Picturesque views from our sea-view room across the ocean and the small bay which is a short walk from the rooms. Able to swim in the sea very day, perfect! Don't expect a beach here though: it's rocky steps down into the sea but the bay is secluded enough to be relaxing and was better than a massive public beach in my opinion. Some sun loungers in the bay area but no shade - they seemed to be occupied by the rowdier/less seasoned (and very sunburnt) guests so chances are you wouldn't get one anyway.

Rooms: sea-view twin room was excellent standard - very clean, comfortable (springy) beds, plenty of space. Bathroom in need of some TLC but the Hotel is being renovated in November 2012 so I suspect the bathrooms will be updated and refitted then. Shower was fine - water pressure good, and aside from the odd temperamental hot and cold switch the temperature was consistent (and warm if desired).

All-inclusive: highly recommended. The food is buffet style and there are plenty of options to choose from (hot and cold) with enough variety for a week. Any longer and I think I would have become bored with the choice. Breakfasts inc. cereals, fruit juice, tea/coffee, and cooked options (e.g. eggs of various types, bacon, pancakes, baked beans etc). Lunch was excellent: the salads were exceptional and some cooked options for those who wanted them. Evening meals were good and were served in the restaurant (no t-shirts/shorts for the gents although several guests were seated and ate without having made the effort but they're the ones who looked awkwardly out of place). Some local dishes were on offer although I've tasted more authentic Greek cuisine elsewhere. AI is for convenience though and it delivered that as well as decent quality food so it made up for that fact. Desserts were disappointing: the same three options every day at lunch and at dinner (creme caramel, various flavours of jelly, and a (defrosted) frozen gateaux). However, the lack of dessert choice was more than made up for by the general choice and quality of the other offerings. AI also includes ice creams, soft and local alcoholic drinks during the day at the coffee bar (where breakfast is served), and tea/coffee facilities in the room. Tea/coffee is replenished daily at 2pm for AI guests. The supplies in our room weren't replenished on the second day and we spoke with Reception about this. I wasn't satisfied with the way our query was handled - they telephoned the member of staff responsible for restocking supplies whilst we stood there, waiting, and we were then told our room had been marked off on the resupply list but they would make sure it was definitely replenished the next day. A simple "sorry, we'll look into that, leave it with me" would have been sufficient and a more appropriate response: we were made to feel like we'd make a baseless accusation which wasn't the case and it was awkward standing there whilst the phone conversation went on.

Staff: work exceptionally hard and the service is generally very good indeed! The same staff work through service at breakfast, lunch, and dinner - I've never seen staff work this hard elsewhere and they generally do it pleasantly and with a smile! I'm sure guests must drive them mad by the end of the day. A special thanks is due for the patrolling staff who discretely cleared away plates and empty glasses throughout service. Cleaning staff work tirelessly, and the rooms were spotless. Groundskeepers and pool cleaners were out almost constantly, working hard to clean up after the mess left by some of the guests. The grounds were always tidy, loungers put back neatly, and litter/glasses removed. The hotel would not be what it is without the exceptional staff and generally they cannot be faulted.

Entertainment: the one criticism I have of the Hotel is the entertainment. I'm in my 30s but my complaint isn't what you'd expect based on the other reviews - I actually didn't mind the fact the entertainment consisted of bingo, karaoke, live music, quiz nights etc! It was that it went on until Midnight most nights, through a loud PA system, which meant it was impossible to get to sleep any earlier than this or to sit in the bar and have a relaxing drink and conversation. My suggestion would be to have 'off' nights where guests can simply sit and relax in the bar without someone blaring out noise through the speakers. During the day there are also activities such as boules, archery, tennis, etc. though I didn't participate being content to sit/lie in the sun and enjoy the spectacular views across the ocean.

Local amenities: two small supermarkets within walking distance. The Hotel also has it's own souvenir shop with supplies (e.g. beach towels, clothes, suncreams, etc) - the prices in the shop were excellent and for the convenience worth buying from rather than walking up the road to pay only cents less. There is parking available in the front of the Hotel - I didn't hire a car but it seemed a lot of people had as there were very few spaces available.

Perfect for: a relaxing do-nothing-at-all holiday. Paphos and cultural attractions are near enough to visit, as is the beach at Coral Bay, but aside from a day out to Paphos to the archaeological site and to the Tombs of the Kings, to be honest you needn't bother venturing far as the Hotel and grounds, and the bay, offer everything you need.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

We stayed at the Queens Bay hotel from 7th Oct this year. We had read that this was a 4 T (thomsons) rated hotel, it was clear that this was a half decent 2 Star at best! The hotel is old and needs updating, although very clean and well maintained every day and the bathrooms seem to be very new there is a definate feel that this hotel has seen better days. No coffee or tea facilities in room unless you request this, an extra €4.50 per day, the TV has only Sky News or Greek/ German channels, we were situated above reception overlooking the car park, where there is constant activity so very noisy. We asked to move to a sea view room and was informed that this would be an extra €8 per day which we were prepared to pay but informed very curtly that we would need to ask in 2 days time as hotel was busy, even after I stated that I had requested this at booking, the reply was "well you only requested this you did not pay for it!"
Also the hotel is situated nearer to Coral Bay resort than Paphos,luckily the excellent bus service runs right along the King of the Tombs road up until about midnight, which was needed so the we could "escape" this hotel at night! This is due to the terrible entertainment, karaoke or various singers, we are a young couple in early 40's and this was aimed at a definite older crowd. If you enjoy tea dances and organised entertainment then this is for you but we chose to go into Paphos most evenings to enjoy the variety of restaurants and social life there. Chloe's Chinese restaurant in Paphos is worth a visit.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
QueensInfo, Guest Relations Manager at Queen's Bay Hotel, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
I feel that I should respond to this review to clear up a point made by the reviewer.
This is to do with the difference between Inland and Sea view rooms. The fact is, there is a difference in price. Whether you want to say we charge 8 Euros a day extra for a sea view or that we give a discount of 8 Euros for an inland view is not important. Many people seem to feel that they can pay the reduced price for an inland view room and then "request" a sea view rather than pay the upgrade.
In this guest's case, the hotel was 100% full at that time and we had no sea view rooms available anyway. She says she was prepared to pay but was asked to check back in a couple of days. What else could we do?
The other comment that needs clearing up is the lack of TV stations. I am afraid that this is simply because we can no longer receive any UK TV stations by satellite anywhere on the island. We all suffer from it at home as well as the hotel and we hope that something will change in the future.
Rotherham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

we stayed at this hotel )October 2012 for 10 nights on our honeymoon and enjoyed every minute. entertainment not great but you,re on holiday so we just made most of it. The food was very good and staff could not do enough for you.Fantastic view from our sea view room and like a lot of reviews said the sunset was lovely.The pool area was well equipped with sunbeds and seating. A small beach close by {if you could get a spot for the russians}.Barstaff and waiters were very pleasant.Hotel caters mainly for the over 50's but everyone seemed to be enjoying themselfs.The local buses run every ten minutes at the top of a hill [which wouldent be good for anyone with walking difficulties] which goes to coral bay oneway and paphos the other.We hired a car and got to see more of the island which i would advise anyone to do because the cypriot people are so kind and appreciate you spending time to stop and chat with them.The troodos mountains are a must for anyone who loves outstanding scenery, we also did horse riding at the top' the first time for me and it was really good.We booked a boat trip on the ocean flyer at the harbour in paphos and it was a fantastic day out. Our host for the day was becks who sang and entertained us all and i would recommend this all inclusive trip to anyone.We met a lovely couple over there carly and jimmy who we went with to a bar close by called the little genie who welcomed us like we were his own family' and would also like to recommend a night out there. We had a great night out at the millenium bar in coral bay which is a karaoke bar.The shop in the hotel is far cheaper than anywhere we found and you could get most things that you needed whilst on holiday. Overall a enjoyable holiday and would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a relaxing holiday.

Room Tip: ask for a sea view overlooking the pool
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
uk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

We have just returned from a week stay in the Queens Bay Hotel. Everything was very good from the food to the cleanliness to the friendliness. Having stayed in a 5 star in Feb this year nearby we would definitely reccomend this one above the 5 star. The only one little thing that could be better would be more fruit available in the restaurant, but this is only a minor thing. Would definitely go back hopefully for longer next year, Thankyou for a great holiday.

Room Tip: Sea view is a must have.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Queen's Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!