“I wish I could give this place a six out of five!” 5 of 5 stars

Announcement
DAY SPA
Ranked #1 of 1 Huacas B&B and Inns
Chciago
“I wish I could give this place a six out of five!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

This retreat is perfect. Quiet, stunning, a real departure from the grind. The staff was outstanding. Lovely, friendly, chatty (when you demonstrate that you were in the mood to chat), quiet (when you demonstrate you were in the mood for quiet), knowledgeable, kind, and extremely accommodating! The food is fresh and made by Deb, who is a delight. Mary runs the yoga and is knowledgeable and demonstrated a real willingness to help each person become the best yogi possible. Peter is such a sweet and personable guy. He gave us each a reflexology treatment and I could have asked him questions for days. This trip is a real departure from my usual life, aka no wifi or air conditioning but it was just what I needed to recharge. My only complaint was that I stayed for only three days and would have loved to stay longer :)

Room Tip: They are all great!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

I came here with three girlfriends, each with an idea of enjoying a relaxing and adventurous holiday together. It was truly beyond our expectations. Our accommodations were perfect, two adjoining cabins, each with two beds, a private bath, and covered patio with hammock. We spent our days starting with a vitalizing yoga class each morning, enjoying delicious food prepared in the open-air kitchen, lounging around the pool and patio area. Afternoon water exercise class was always a joy, and just right to keep us in shape amidst deep relaxation. The activity list offered in addition to the amenities on site included fabulous excursions such as a local zip-line, crocodile-sighting estuary tour, and top notch ocean-faring catamaran snorkel cruise, ending with a beautiful sunset over the azure Pacific. Need I say more?

• Stayed May 2014
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

My husband and I adored Panacea de la Montana!! The accommodations were great, the owners were thoughtful, kind and set and example of how to live life that was out of this world!! Great for couples, groups, solo, you will not be disappointed. I hope our trip will be the first of many to come. Nothing is forced and everything just flows!! I left my heart at Panacea de la Montana Yoga Retreat & Spa!!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Oakland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

Before traveling to Panacea, I read all the glowing reviews here and thought to myself, "well, at best, this place could be great and at the least, I know it won't be terrible." I am here to tell you that Panacea exceeded my wildest expectations. Debbie, Mary, Peter and their amazing staff have created a quiet, peaceful & rejuvenating slice of heaven.

Some things to look forward to:

Yoga with Mary: Mary's teaching will deepen your practice, whether you are brand new to yoga or a practicing yogini of 20 years. Her teaching is impeccable ~ kind, attentive, detailed, grounded.

Yummy nourishing meals: Debbie and the amazing women in the kitchen turn out lush green salads, homemade tortillas, gorgeous fruit bowls, and amazing full breakfasts.

Immaculate cabins and grounds: The entire property is lovingly maintained with great care and attention to detail. You will arrive to an immaculate cabina and your bed will be made daily.

Nature, animals and more: The property is beautiful and there are views everywhere you look. At night, the birds, frogs, howler monkeys and bugs create a symphony of gorgeous sound. They'll kick it back into gear just in time to wake you up for a cup of tea or amazing costa rican coffee before morning yoga.

Outstanding care: I've never felt so taken care of. The good folks at Panacea have found the best adventures, drivers, and masseuses in the area. If you are interested, just say the word and they will get it all set up for you. If you want to venture out on your own, they can also tell you where the best beaches are, where to get an ice cream cone or how to find the post office. Take the catamaran snorkel cruise and get the deep tissue massage. You won't be sorry.

Hammocks, chaise lounges and pool floats: Panacea makes it easy to kick back and relax because everything is taken care of and the amenities are comfy, clean and high quality.

Afternoon H20 aerobics: I know, you're thinking "really?" but wait till you hear Peter's awesome playlist and slip into that cool blue infinity pool right around 3pm. Silly, sassy, fun (and a surprisingly good workout).

I already plotting my return.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Oakland, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2014

pan·a·ce·a
noun
a solution or remedy for all difficulties or diseases.
synonyms: universal cure, cure-all, cure for all ills, universal remedy, elixir, wonder drug;

Three girlfriends and I just spent the most delightful week at this magical place. I've never done an all inclusive trip before, but am now totally sold on it. To wake up each morning and have all the days details seamlessly handled for you is incredible. Your job: wake up, take a dip in the pool, go to yoga (mary is an experienced and gifted teacher!), dip in the pool again, eat breakfast, read your book and nap in the shade on the lounge, eat lunch, smile your way through water aerobics with Peter or Deb (really fun), relax some more, eat dinner..... If you want more activity they arrange for that, there are beautiful beach's in the area to explore, a fantastic catamaran trip you can take...endless options. If you want less activity, great - just "be" in the gorgeous surroundings while doing nothing. Want to create something, there's supplies for that too. We felt SO cared for and taken care of and set up to win. And win we did! I wish the same for you!

So what's in a name? Panacea. In this case the straight up definition comes close to capturing it all. I say "close" because Panacea de la Montana is truly more than the sum of its parts. There are indeed so many amazing aspects to it and then in addition, some undefinable ingredient that sets the stage for you to deeply let go, drop in, be present, RELAX and REJUVENATE! It is an unequivocal experience of YES! Mary, Peter, Deb....thank you for creating and sharing this gift! Nanci

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

A friend of mine travels to Panacea annually and I was lucky enough to be invited along this year. The description of the retreat, my friend's review, and the other tripadvisor reviews made me considerably less apprehensive about attending my first yoga retreat, but the proof was in the pudding my friends. I am now a believer...this place was AMAZING! Here are just a few reasons why I fell in love and continue to day dream about this oasis.

- I relaxed...swinging on a hammock, gazing at the setting sun, smiling like an idiot sort of relaxation
- I genuinely enjoyed the vegetarian cuisine...had to buy their cookbook to curb my withdrawals
- Mary, Debbie, Peter...the best hosts and teachers you could ask for...hands down
- Mary's yoga and meditation
- The infinity pool
- The other guests...amazing people vacation here
- Being forced to disconnect (no wifi/no internet/no cell service)
- The spa services...the hot stone massage was heavenly
- Positive, peaceful, healing energy...
- The sound of nature singing me to sleep every night
- The hammock on my porch
- Countless opportunities for adventure, peaceful time alone, group activities, excitement, and tranquility.

My personal recommendations:

- Visit in March to avoid bugs...I brought an insane amount of bug spray and didn't use a drop.
- Budget lots of time to do nothing. I spent 7 days here and it was barely enough. There are so many opportunities to go to town, the beach, hiking, zip lining, etc that you can easily forget to spend the day lost in a book or laying by the pool.
- Bring cash
- Bring hiking boots and comfy shoes only
- Reserve your spot today...its worth every penny and every minute

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms/cabanas, so I wouldn't stress about requesting a specific "room"...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

This retreat will melt all your stress away. Mary, Peter, and Deb have put together a spectacular resort for those looking to escape for a bit. The daily yoga classes are thoughtful and invigorating--a great way to start the day! The food is nourishing and delicious for vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike! The reflexology was great, too.

My boyfriend and I took a direct flight from NYC and it could not have gone any smoother. They arranged for a shuttle to pick us up from Liberia airport, and they dropped our belongings at our cabina for us.

I loved experiencing Costa Rica in this way. Definitely recommend this to anyone, especially if you're traveling solo. This retreat isn't just for yogis, either. Anyone can benefit from this relaxing and inspiring environment! There are several excursions and day trips you can sign up for, and it's all arranged ahead of time for you. We were able to hike through a national park and see an active volcano, zipline through the canopy, and go on a boat tour while we were there. This is a very laid-back way to travel, and you will leave refreshed.

Thank you, Mary, Deb, and Peter, for giving us a truly amazing time in Costa Rica!

If you'd like to read more about my experience at the retreat, visit my blog: http://valthevoyager.com/2014/04/09/whats-in-a-yoga-retreat/

Room Tip: The cabinas at the top involve a good hike if you want extra exercise!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Panacea de la Montana Yoga Retreat & Spa? Share your experiences!