“Relaxation, calm, and peace” 5 of 5 stars

Get Ready For Summer
Ranked #1 of 1 Huacas B&B and Inns
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Brooklyn, New York
“Relaxation, calm, and peace”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

Just got home from an awesome week at Panacea. Mary, Peter, and Debbie were amazing hosts. Debbie's food is SO good (and I'm not even a vegetarian). Make sure to try the spirulina smoothie! The daily morning yoga class with Mary was a great way to start the day, and I ended the week feeling so much better than when I'd arrived on Christmas day. The shuttle times are flexible, and Mary was super helpful with the group on preferences for beach times. Peter's water exercise class was more of a workout than I thought it would be! The cabinas are comfortable and never got too hot, and the bathroom was nicer than I'd expected.

Sure, there are some large insects, but whatever, you're in a tropical location in the outdoors. There's a fly swatter in the cabina (which I used to shoo away some katydids), and since it was the start of the dry season, there weren't very many mosquitoes though I did get a couple of bites.

An awesome trip. I would definitely return.

Room Tip: We stayed in "Tranquilo", which is at about the middle of the hill. Our cabina generally s...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 22, 2013

The hosts Mary, Peter, Debbie and Michelle were wonderful! Very nice cabins in splendid surroundings, and Mary was the best yogi, patient and thorough. Massages, pool and hammocks, I did not miss anything during my stay! Another good thing, location close to the beaches and very good horseback riding at Casagua!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
College Park, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2013

I can't say enough great stuff about Panacea de la Montana. The folks who run the place are extraordinary...friendly, accommodating, professional, and a pleasure to be around. The place itself if beautiful...a hilltop, nestled in the trees, overlooking the Pacific. Add to that, first-rate yoga every morning, incredible vegetarian meals, and daily trips to the beach at Tamarindo. I've visited twice, just got back, and am already looking forward to my third trip.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Panaceadelamontana, Owner at Panacea de la Montana Yoga Retreat & Spa, responded to this review, December 20, 2013
Thanks for the great review. It was good getting to know you and help to make your vacation a good one. We all hope to see you back soon.
Fayetteville, Arkansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

I cannot say enough good things about Panacea de la Montana! Even though neither my husband nor I are vegetarians and he has never practiced yoga, we decided to go out on a limb and try this resort. The food was amazing and much to my surprise, my husband was really into the yoga simply b/c Mary is such a fabulous instructor. We woke each morning to the sound of howler monkeys outside our little cabina on the mountainside, truly a piece of paradise. To top it off, we didn't have to think or worry about our plans, we just told Mary, Peter, and Debbie what activities we were seeking and they arranged it all for us, down to the shuttle when we needed it. We skipped the spa services b/c we were in it for the adventure, but the guests who did go for them all raved about the quality. If you are on the fence about going, I say go, go go!!! Now that we are home, all I can think about is getting back there!

Room Tip: All the cabinas are pretty much the same. You can't go wrong
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
We enjoyed the time we the both of you and are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope you keep up with yoga and come back to visit us again sometime.
Oak Park, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2013

We could not have had a better experience! Mary, Debbie, and Peter were so welcoming, warm, and helpful. They were the perfect hosts. There were so many special touches that made the entire place just perfect. We were close enough to the beaches to go and explore but found that we didn't even want to leave Panacea. The ambience was more relaxing than anywhere we have ever visited. Morning yoga in the open air studio was lovely, the 3 meals per day were delicious and healthy, the infinity pool was so inviting, water aerobics in the afternoon was fun, the howler monkeys kept us entertained, the sunsets from our cabina hammock were beautiful. We were so impressed with everything and cannot wait to go back. We highly recommend Panacea to everyone!!!! It's a place you don't want to miss!!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for letting everyone know about your experience here at Panacea. It was a pleasure to get to know you guys and spend some time with you. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope you will come back again sometime.
Dana Point, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

I will admit it: I was skeptical at first. I am not a yogi, and I am not a vegetarian. My girlfriend and I found out about Panacea via Living Social and took a shot. What a pleasant surprise! You don't have to be a yogi to enjoy the peace and serenity of the mountain top. You don't have to be a vegetarian to enjoy the delicious and nutritious food. The owners, Mary, Debbie and Peter are terrific hosts. They work to accommodate their guests' needs / schedules and allow their guests the space to enjoy their vacation. For example, my girlfriend and I wanted to do three things on our Costa Rican vacation: surf, sail and hike to a waterfall. During our four day stay, Mary made sure we accomplished all three! Skip the hotels and traditional resorts - branch out for your own Costa Rican experience. I'm a believer and I will be back!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Sterling, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

The owners, Mary, Debbie and Peter are beautiful people inside and out. They have mastered the art of being available to answer questions and offer anything you might need but they almost blend into the background of the mountain. Our vacation at Panacea left us feeling like we had the mountain all to ourselves for the week. The trio offered balanced yoga classes each morning, prepared nutritious and truly filling meals, and offered interesting insight into the culture of Costa Rica. Panacea was located in a great spot so we could easily access transportation to Tamarindo and try surfing or drive just down the road for an exhilirating ziplining experience. Some days we just enjoyed hanging out at Panacea by their poolside which provides a stunning view of the mountains and ocean. The sounds of nature are all around you and it is a great feeling to be so immersed in the natural beauty of Costa Rica. If you have never been to Costa Rica, this is THE location to stay while you visit!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Panacea de la Montana Yoga Retreat & Spa? Share your experiences!