“Almost perfect” 4 of 5 stars
Review of A View of the Lake

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in West Kelowna
A View of the Lake
You added A View of the Lake to your Saves list
3.5 of 5 Bed and Breakfast   |   1877 Horizon Drive, West Kelowna, British Columbia V1Z 3E4, Canada   |
Special Offer
Special fall Rates
Ranked #1 of 31 West Kelowna B&B and Inns
Boston
“Almost perfect”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2008

There are a lot of great things about this bed and breakfast in Kelowna. I recently stayed there with my husband for a night. Although I have a few suggestions as to how the owners could really push their B&B from okay to fabulous, overall we had a great stay.
First, the positives:
- great view from the back deck
- great location of the B&B, close to some very good wineries
- good breakfast, cooked by a great chef. Probably the best breakfast we had on our entire week-long trip
- wine glasses were provided in the common kitchen area, so we were easily able to enjoy the wine we bought at the neighbouring vineyard.
- the cost of the room was very reasonable given the quality of the place and accommodations.
- the owners were very helpful with directions, getting us settled in, etc when we arrived.

Now, for the negatives. Well, actually, there weren't any negatives! There are a few things that could be done to make this place really fabulous (I'd be willing to pay more if these few small things were taken care of):
- no beach towels provided. My husband and I wanted to go to the beach, but we didn't have any towels with us on the trip. There wasn't any obvious stack of beach towels in the common area or in our room. So, perhaps the owners would have provided some if we would have been able to find them to ask before heading out.
- no lounge chairs on the deck. The place has a wonderful back deck where we sipped wine and ate breakfast the next morning. However, there is just one table with chairs. There are no lounge chairs for sitting and reading in the evening.
- There was a common kitchen area with a small fridge. We were told we could help ourselves to use the fridge or to any of the drinks inside, however upon closer inspection we realized there was a charge for any drink consumed. This is not very classy. The drinks should be complimentary. Most guests, like myself, won't even care for a drink, however the perception of charging $1 for a soft drink versus saying it is free creates a very different atmosphere.
- There was no microwave/toaster in the common kitchen.

The only negative for me during the entire stay came during breakfast. I specified when making the reservation that my husband and I were vegetarian. Then, when we checked in, again I pointed out that we were vegetarian and didn't eat any dead animal products. At breakfast the next morning we were served yogurt. I asked if the yogurt had gelatin or not, as it is unfortunately hard to avoid gelatin in yogurt these days. The response I expected was: 'let me check with the chef. Sorry for the mistake'. Instead, I got: 'well, you didn't say anything about gelatin or make a note of this as a special requirement' ... ?

Huh? I expect people who don't know anything about food to come out with this response, but Steve is a really good chef so I was surprised to be served the yogurt to start with, and then startled by the snarky response to my simple question about whether or not the food I was served contained an ingredient I can't eat. I had a simple question, to which I expected a simple gracious answer.

Overall, a great experience and worth every penny.

• Liked — great views of kelowna and the lake
  • Disliked — unclassy attitude
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
washington state
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2008

We have been staying in B&Bs for over 30 years, and this one was one of the best we've ever experienced. The views from the deck and several of the bedrooms are jaw-dropping! Try to book the Grand View Room if you can. The breakfasts were fantastic...big emphasis on fresh fruit and vegetables and using local products, some of which were made by the hosts. Presentation, service, quality....it was all there in spades. They even peeled the asparagus stalks. Our hosts, Steve and Chrissy, check for any food allergies and work around them. One of the other guests had an allergy to wheat, and Steve put together a sort of eggs benedict with a potato base instead of an English muffin. You didn't feel overstuffed, which was appreciated. Hosts were very attentive to our needs. We are looking forward to our next visit.

• Liked — Ambience
  • Disliked — Had to leave
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
White Rock
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2008

My girlfriend and I stayed at this bed and breakfast for 3 nights over Canada Day and absolutely loved it. We are self-employed professionals aged 49 and 53.

A View of the Lake is close and convenient by car to the Kelowna waterfront and to Okanagan wineries. A View of the Lake is elevated high on a hill in a quiet upscale residential neighbourhood , 10 minutes across the lake from Kelowna and 10 minutes from Mission Hill and Quail's Gate wineries.

Chrissy and Steve are delightful hosts and they have created a welcoming and comfortable B&B. The entire B&B is newly renovated, fresh, aesthetically pleasing and comfortable. Bedrooms are large, clean and warmly decorated. The Grand View bedroom is enormous and more luxurious than the other rooms. We stayed two nights in the Grand View and one night in the Garden View room. We would have been very comfortable in any of the four rooms.

Chrissy was like a "pleasant breeze on a hot day". She was very attentive, engaging and funny. Chrissy left us wanting for nothing. Steve's cooking is gourmet fine dining and the breakfasts were a great start to each day. The food was delicious and the portions were perfect. We also had the opportunity to sample some of Steve's appetizers and a soup which he prepared for one of his private party demonstrations. The food was quite special and we would love to have a complete dinner prepared by Steve.

The weather was hot and dry throughout our stay and it allowed us to spend most of the time that we were at the B&B (morning breakfast and late evenings) on the very large terrace overlooking Lake Okanagan and the Kelowna skyline. It was a perfect setting to pop open a bottle of wine and kick back.

Finally, any experience is only as good as the people you meet. During our three nights at this B&B we socialized with very engaging and interesting couples from Japan, Holland, Scotland (Calgarians now), Vancouver (he was originally from Italy) and a family from Germany (with 15 and 18 year old daughters). And Chrissy and Steve are originally from England via Bermuda. The company and the conversation was always entertaining, amusing and enlightening (particularly when aided by wine).

In summary, our stay at A View of the Lake B&B was an exquisitely rich global experience.

• Liked — Cleanliness, comfort and hospitality
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
spruce grove
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2008

My husband and I can't say enough about this wonderful bed and breakfast! We stayed in the grand view room and it was truly a treat. With a view of the lake during the day and the lights of Kelowna shimmering across the water at night while we relaxed in the jacuzzi, it was nothing but perfect. The bed was very comfortable and was hard to get yourself out of in the morning. I could have gladly stayed there all day but Steve's wonderful breakfast beckoned and we happily answered. To say the very least it is a gourmet breakfast served in the most beautiful of surroundings. We will most assuredly be back!!!

• Liked — The total attention to detail
  • Disliked — That we had to gp home!
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ann Arbor, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2007

We stayed at this bed and breakfast for 4 nights and were extremely satisfied all around. A View of the Lake is in a convenient and easy to find location near wineries, downtown and the lake. The views are beautiful in the day or night. The home is beautifully decorated and has everything you could want or imagine on vacation. It is quiet as well as serene.

Chrissy and Steve are wonderful hosts. They are engaging and interesting yet stay out of the way so you dont even notice them most of the time.

The breakfasts were gourmet and delicious. Each morning we could not wait for breakfast to see what masterpiece Steve had prepared. The portions were perfect size for us to start our day.

We were fortunate enough to attend one of Steve's food demonstrations and were not disappointed. This was an evening of fabulous food, wine and company. We learned so much and were entertained all evening. This was by far the best dinner that we had while in Kelowna.

I did not want to leave this oasis of the Okanagan. We will be back next year.

• Stayed August 2007
Passionisme
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2007

Wow!

What a place to stay we found this little gem the views are stunning, the rooms are decorated beautifully and the food is outstanding even for a fussy eater like me. I am lactose ovo vegetarian the chef cooked the best breakfast ever.

My husband on the other hand loves food he had 3 courses for breakfast. Steve is a wonderful chef and we will certainly be back for another visit to sample the cooking in his demonstration kitchen where Steve cooks while you watch and eat.

The hosts Steve and Crissy knows how to run a 1st class business.

• Liked — the food, rooms, and the views fab hosts
  • Disliked — had to share it with others and we could not stay longer as they were fully booked
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2007

This is a great place if you like an elegant breakfast, quiet, very clean upscale B&B experience. They are located in Westside - about 10 minutes across the bridge to downtown Kelowna. The view looks across the water to Kelowna. We stayed in a room with no view - the Garden Room. The room was large as was the modern bathroom. The sitting area and deck are very spacious and are separate from where the owners live so you don't feel intrusive. The food is fantastic as the owner is a chef. I was in town for the triathlon and they accommodated my special breakfast requirements. He also does cooking demonstrations/tasting dinners in the beautiful new demonstration kitchen. Both Steve and Chrissy are very engaging people and seem to really care about creating a very positive B&B experience for their guests.

• Liked — upscale property
  • Disliked — noise of air conditioning
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to A View of the Lake? Share your experiences!