“Nothing special but magnificent selection of beers if you like that sort of thing” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Pigs Ears Beer Cellar

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Surrey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2013

Stumbled across this place a few weeks ago whilst having a wander round Richmond after eating at The White Swan (more on that in a separate review)/ It's not very obvious that there is a restaurant down the stairs so we decided to go back and have a look. On booking (for 5pm on a Saturday) we were told the table for 2 could be ours for 2 hours only which for us was fine.Would have liked a table not right beside another table of 6 but the entire back wall was booked for a large party at 5.30pm although they hadn't materialised by 6.30pm.

Still, to what's important - food, wine, service and atmosphere. My burger with Jalapenos and extra bacon was cooked exactly as I had asked for it, chips were great. My husband had ribs which he said were some of the best he has had and given how pricey they are, I should think so. For some reason we were unable to avail of the £10 which is stated on the menu due to the ambiguous wording. At least that was the explanation given by the waitress who was friendly and attentive to the right level. There really wasn't an atmosphere so cannot comment on that unless you count the entertainment of watching a group of adults playing scrabble.

So would I go back? Well yes very soon but only because it really is the type of place my son would enjoy as he lives out of London. One burger and ribs place is the same as another and if I was in the area and that is the type of food I fancied, then I would go again. Service charge is arbitrarily added to the bill but saves you the bother of figuring it out for yourself. The upstairs bar was buzzing by the time we left at almost 7 which was interesting.

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

“Family friendly lunch venue - wholesome portions of decent grub plus a pint for Dad”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

As two dads with their respective groups of kids this worked perfectly for lunchtime.

All the kids went for adult portions of ribs or burger and were more than satisfied. Lunchtime deal meant their drinks were free. Dads had similar choice from the food menu plus samples a couple of beers - both draught and bottle.

Service was friendly and efficient making everyone feel at home even with latecomers adding to the order on the fly.

We'll be back

Manchester, UK
“Great selection of beers / poor red wine”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

The decor and ambiance is great with a huge variety of beers. Three of us sat down for a meal and whilst one of the ribs wasn't great two of the BBQ ribs were fantastic and the meat fell off the bone, but the honey and chilli ribs were tough and certainly didn't fall off the bone but I appreciate this was probably a one off. There was a discussion with the restaurant manager that shouldn't have taken place in my opinion and it came across as obnoxious (explaining how the ribs were cooked exactly the same and querying how much we had eaten of them, whilst this may not have been the intention it certainly came across that way). We simply had a complaint about one of the ribs and it should have just been taken off the bill without a discussion / intervention. I don't want to complain too much because I really like this place and the overall service was great and the starters (sharing platter) were superb. However, I need to add that the house red wine was awful and even another bottle of chilean merlot was equally displeasing and I would honestly recommend an overhaul of the red wine list / change of supplier. The tempranillo was barely drinkable and like battery acid, the chilean merlot was almost an opaque red and very very thin and tasteless for a merlot.

In fairness one of the ribs and house red wine were taken off the bill but we left the money for the wine as a tip for the service.

All said and done it's well worth a visit purely for the selection of beers and the venue itself. The sharing platters are very good.

• Visited February 2013
“Great Little find”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

My Girlfriend and I were in Richmond for new year's day, trying to find somewhere half decent to eat that wasn't jam packed, and stumbled on this little place.

Fantastic beer menu, very good quality meat in their burgers, which always works for me, and a lot of happy people around us.

The one thing I would say is that the service wasn't very prompt, but I suspect it was because they hdn't anticipated New Year's day being that busy. They only seemed to have two floor staff on, and it is quite a big and awkward area to manage.

That said, I'm looking forward to going back!

• Visited January 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Like a traditional Inn”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

You would be forgiven for walking past Pig's Ears on the street but turn back & go in.

As a Lady walking down the stairs into a basement pub can feel a little intimidating but actually this a real gem so pop in. I prefer the front of the pub myself as it has a very cosy feel about it. Good selection of ales, beers, wines & drinks. Our prosecco was served in a cooler which I like & the glasses were clean which is always a good sign. Clean glasses mean clean dishwashers!

I went just after Christmas but before NYE & everything was very festive. We ordered a selection of table nibbles for our party, the crackling with gravy & homemade scotch egg were very well received. It can be a little snug & busy you have to be quick to grab a table but it has country pub appeal.

I would suggest booking a table if you are coming at the weekend or evenings as the standard of food is high.

I'm telling my friends about this place & I will certainly go back again soon.

• Visited December 2012