“Sushi Heaven” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
London, United Kingdom
“Sushi Heaven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

I'm a sushi addict, it's my favourite food, so when I moved to Richmond recently this year and driving around I discovered Maki, I had to give it a go. I've been pretty loyal ever since! I go to Maki practically twice a month or home deliver it if I'm tired from work. The fish is incredible, fresh, the green tea is beautiful and all the service is friendly and fast. I mostly go on weekdays, and order enough food to feed a small village. The sushi is perfectly seasoned and prepared immaculately. I introduce the majority of my friends to it, and recently I took my parents (my father had never eaten sushi before) and received a large amount of complimentary dishes by the manager to gently break my father in, which was so nice of them! I usually sit at the sushi bar, and swiftly became friends with the head sushi-chef who is also Malaysian Chinese like I am, and would chat with him whilst watching his excellent skills at preparing fish. I really recommend sitting at the bar, it's much more fun!

• 5 of 5 stars Food

“I am not a sushi fan and I love Maki!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I like sushi now and then but have nerver been a sushi fan. The thought of sashimi or nigiri (raw cuts of fish) would give me butterflies. I have had them before and never really like it until Maki.

Service, food, location, price, brilliant. Cannot find a reason to complain.

Dont forget to order the Dragon Roll, Ebi tempura or Yellow tail nigiri. Yes, Maki has got me hooked on nigiri now.

London, United Kingdom
“Excellent evening”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

Took two of my Norwegian friends there on the last evening of their trip to London. They wanted sushi, but were too tired to venture to my normal sushi haunts in Ealing. Despite living nearby I'd never been to Maki - a mistake, we had an excellent evening.

Being Sunday evening the place was quiet, but still had enough customers to give a pleasant atmosphere, and the waiter/manager? guided us through their selection of sushi and maki rolls.
Finding he had a couple of Norwegian visitors, he also chatted about sourcing his favourite Salmon from Norway.

We started with a couple of nigiri sets (2x7 pieces), a Maki roll (8 pieces - Peking Duck - not for purists, but very nice) and a deep fried prawn roll (8) then reordered with a Spider Roll (4) and a Norwegian Roll (8). As we were deciding this was just enough, the manager brought us a large Salmon roll (8) on the house - very welcome.

My friends thought this was their most enjoyable meal of their visit to London.

Good food, great hospitality.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London
“Highly enjoyable- great sushi place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2013

We went on a Saturday night so it was pretty busy. Staff were a little rushed so it took a few minutes to get their attention however they were very pleasant and welcoming. This place is popular for good reason- the food is excellent. I had maki, sushi, tempura and Japanese pancake to finish. The fish is fresh and the portions are pretty generous. We'll be back!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Surrey, England
“Great service & lovely food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

I have visited Maki at least a dozen times. The food and services are always consistent and well ... amazing. Saturday nights are pretty busy and the atmosphere is great. I like best the seats by the sushi bar as it's just fascinating to watch how the chef turns rice and fish into maki rolls, nigiri etc. The last few times I tried lychee sake, served cold. Beautiful! Food is really fresh and I always enjoy spicy tuna rolls and a selection of sashimi. There are also non seafood dishes on the menu such as meat dumplings or teriyaki chicken or pork tonkatsu. And I just have to mention the staff as they really make every effort to let the guests highly enjoy their meal.

• Visited July 2013