“not what I was expecting” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Richmond Gate Hotel

You added Richmond Gate Hotel to your Saves list
Richmond Gate Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   152-158 Richmond Hill, Richmond-upon-Thames TW10 6RP, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Up to 20% OFF
UK
“not what I was expecting”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2007

In town on business I was fully expecting something a bit special as it wasn't in the centre of London. How disappointed I was. The reception staff were so unhelpful I cancelled my booking for dinner & went elsewhere. Definitely not somewhere I would return to.

Stayed November 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Rochester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2007

I Booked in for a weekend stay with my friend, and we could not have been more delighted with our room, the facilities on offer, and the service provided.

We did have to wait to check in; the room was spacious and well-decorated. We ate in the restaurant for our evening meal, and couldnot have received better service!! We were to made to feel very welcolme, we not not rushed, and the food was really delicious. I find it refreshing to be faced with staff who are relaxed enough to serve you in a friendly and outgoing manner, rather than robotically placing food in front of you without so much as a smile in case it causes offence (and I have faced this at other hotels). The food was delicious, and i did not find the prices at all offensive when compared to other hotels of similar standing in the London area. Breakfast next morning was well-displayed and very appertsing buffet, and when we ordered coffee it was delivered within minutes and was pipping hot. Again, I have not received susch service in other "5 star" establishments.

The quick and effcient service at breakfast was testament to a restaurant which is well-managed, as they wer wer busy ( as Sunday breakfast are in most hotels!).

We did not take advantage of the spa treatments so I cannnot comment on that, however we found the health club as a whole to be attractive and well- maintained, and again staff were extremenly helpful. Check-out went without a hitch, and we had no surprise on out bill.

What a great hotel, the Manager must be very proud!!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Food
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled as a couple
Rochester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2007

My Boyfriend and I stayed at the Richmond Gate Hotel one night in February, it was a birthday surprise and it was amazing.

When we arrived he car outside the entrance, I was instantly impressed by the building and the surrondings. My boyfriend did the checking in process, while I kept warm b the fireplace in the lobby!

We did not have a chance to eat in the hotel for dinnerbut breakfast was truly amazing in the Conservatory, what a perfect setting overlooking the garden. The breakfast selection was fantastic, lots of choice, health options such as various muselis or a full cooked English breakfast: beautifully presented we both were very happy!! The pool is great and the gym is really well equipped, perfect for working off some breakfast!

On the whole this is a very good hotel, and i would most certainly go back, hopefully soon!!!!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
midlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2007

I have stayed in London many times but never in Richmond.The hotel is on top of a hill-10 mins walk into Richmond.Richmond itself is lovely with the views,river and park I did not believe that I was in London.The hotel is fine, breakfast ok though foreign waiters didnt understand slight varietions required.Park 5 mins walk next door again you could be in Mid Scotland. with deer roaming etc.A nice retreat away from middle of London but close enough to get there on tube.I would recommend this hotel and ignore bad reviews!

Stayed October 2006
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2007

I was stranded in London for a night and all the airport hotels were sold out, my travel agent found this one to be the nearest with rooms available. she was very nervous to put me there as she never heard of it and the price sounded too good to be true (£100), but it was only 25 minutes from the airport, so i said let's do it.

I was expecting a dump, but pulling up to the hotel i was pleasantly surprised by the old world charm it had. walking in, i felt like i was in an victorian styled home (which i love). the room was small but had nice ammenities (toiletries, tv, mini bar).

it's located a bit outside of central London, so be aware of that, although others who reviewed on here didn't seem to mind.

• Liked — the look of the hotel
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled on business
N. Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2006

Beautiful traditional hotel in a very idyllic location within walking distance to Richmond town centre. Rooms of a very high standard with excellent facillities which were extremely clean and of a tasteful decor. We enjoyed first class food and service throughout our stay, with friendly, courteous and helpful staff on hand to make our stay more relaxed and enjoyable. A truly memorable stay in a wonderful hotel.

• Liked — First class facilities, cleanliness and value for money.
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2006

I thought this hotel was lovely and ideally situated on Richmond Hill in between Richmond Park and Richmond Town Centre. The hotel is decorated beautifully and I really felt at home. We got a great deal booking through wotif. Staff were friendly and helpful. Free carpark with lots of spaces and if its full you can use sister hotel (Richmond Hill) next door. A few recommendations for you. Go out of hotel and turn right . There is a lovely pub along Richmond Hill called the Roebuck which serves food during the day and evening. You can buy a pint and take it across the road and sit on the benches with a lovely view over the Thames.
Another great place I found was the "Richmond Cafe" also on Richmond Hill (just keep walking down from the pub). Its a Thai Restaurant with the best Thai food I've ever eaten and very reasonably priced for London. The food was so good we went on both evenings of our stay. Quite a small restaurant so get there early. For you girlies great shopping in Richmond but Kingston (3 miles away) was much better with much more variety. For cheap designer clothing check out TK Maxx in Kingston.

• Liked — Decor
  • Disliked — Slightly shabby bathroom
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Richmond Gate Hotel? Share your experiences!