“Average” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Richmond Gate Hotel

You added Richmond Gate Hotel to your Saves list
Richmond Gate Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   152-158 Richmond Hill, Richmond-upon-Thames TW10 6RP, England   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Up to 10% OFF Room Rate
London, United Kingdom
“Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This hotel is a real mixed bag. Let's start with the negative. The breakfast: this costs either £11.50 for the continental or £16.50 for the continental plus a hot serving. The cooked breakfast was good with choices from the menu but the continental was one of the worst I have ever seen. Rubbery, tasteless cheese, one variety of cooked meat (salami), some fruit, cereal, and the smallest of pastries ever (one bite). The coffee was merely coloured water.
There was no clock or pen in the room, both of which I found strange. No newspapers were available in the hotel and the nearest store to buy one is twenty minutes walk down the hill into Richmond. Which is great, but only if you fancy a scenic stroll first thing in the morning.
On the plus side, the service at reception was friendly and efficient. The room that we stayed in (room 14) was huge and the bed was very comfortable. It also had non-feather pillows and duvets, which was great as I have allergies. However, room 14 is opposite the maids cupboard so it can be a little noisy first thing in the morning.
The public areas were homely and welcoming and the hotel was well kept and clean.
It is a great location being right next to Richmond Park and only a 15-20 minute stroll into Richmond centre, most of which can be done along the riverside.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
AndrewLee191301, General Manager at Richmond Gate Hotel, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you for writing a review. I was pleased that you enjoyed your cooked breakfast, but disappointed that the continental selection and coffee were not to the desired standard. A full continental selection should be available for every breakfast and regularly replenished. I have spoken to the Head Chef and F&B Manager to ensure this is checked and standards maintained consistently. The coffee is made fresh to order in a cafeteire. This is dispensed in measured amounts dependant on the size of the cafetiere and generally we receive very positive comments regarding the coffee. A stronger cafetiere can be provided if requested, so in future if you prefer a stronger coffee please ask and this will be provided. A clock is not something that we provide as standard, but I will review this. Paper and pens can be provided on request from reception. Please accept my apologies if you were not asked on check in if you required a newspaper. We order on a daily basis and deliver to guest bedrooms. I was pleased that you enjoyed the service at reception and room 14 which is one of the junior suite bedrooms and that the non-feather duvets and pillows were appreciated. I have spoken with the housekeeper to ensure that the housekeeping team ensure they are as quiet as possible especially first thing in the morning. I was pleased that in general you enjoyed your stay and Richmond as an area and hope that you will stay with us again in the future where we can improve on the consistency of standards.

Andrew Lee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

We had a great stay here, had two rooms booked for a family gathering in Richmond, great location, very friendly helpful staff, and as we were checking out the cleaner came running up to give us the iPhone charger we'd left in the room. The rooms were clean and comfortable and apparently a little larger than the one another family member had next door in The Richmond Hill. Pleasantly surprised after reading other reviews.

• Stayed March 2013
Thank you for writing a review and I was pleased to read that you had an enjoyable stay.
I hope that you will stay at the Richmond Gate Hotel on your next visit to Richmond.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2013

The entire staff at the Richmond Gate Hotel showed us wonderful hospitality and outstanding assistance during our stay in preparation for our World Club Challenge game . The friendly nature of the staff and their willingness to go beyond the call of duty was most impressive and appreciated. The food was of of a high quality and the team facilities including lounge and meeting rooms exceeded our expectations.

We were absolutely delighted with our preparation whilst in Richmond and it certainly helped our cause in winning the 2013 World Club Challenge.

We would have no hesitation in staying at the Richmond Gate Hotel in the future nor would we hesitate in recommending the hotel to other sporting teams.

Frank Ponissi
GM Football Operations
Melbourne Storm Rugby League Club

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
AndrewLee191301, General Manager at Richmond Gate Hotel, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear Frank,

It was a real pleasure for all of the hotel team to look after you and the Melbourne Storm Rugby League Club during your preparation for the World Club Challenge. Having such a nice group at the hotel made it easy for the hotel team to ensure that all of your requests were met and I was really pleased that you enjoyed all of the services at the hotel.

Congratulations on winning the World Cup Challenge and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel next time you return to England.

Lowestoft
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

This is the 2nd time that my wife and I have stayed at this hotel. This time we opted for a cheaper room at £99, ( without breakfast ), but specified a quiet one. We were warmly greeted on arrival by reception staff and help was offered with our luggage. The room though on the small side, was clean and nicely furnished. We were overlooking the small garden and were pleased to find that it proved to be quiet and therefore a good night's sleep ensued.
The restaurant lacks any atmosphere and the menu is limited. Like us, most people seem to opt to eat out. There is certainly a good choice a short walk away in the town. Parking at the hotel is £5 per day. We will probably stay again, as it is so convenient.

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
AndrewLee191301, General Manager at Richmond Gate Hotel, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Thank you for writing a review and I was pleased that this is your second visit to the hotel and that you received a warm welcome and were allocated a quiet room as requested. I will review the menu in the restaurant and atmosphere. We offer a restaurant menu, room service and also bar lounge menus that are changed seasonally. I hope to welcome you back again for your 3rd visit in the near future.

Guildford
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Booked 2 rooms for a Saturday night, arrived at 2.20 when the rooms should have been available. One was the other wasnt but would be ready in 10 minutes & they would call as soon as it was free. Had to wait in the other room & 30 minutes later no call, tried to call reception, no answer. 40 minutes later called again & they said they would call housekeeping. Another 10 minutes & the room was ready. Arrived at the room and there was an emtpy tray of food from the last visitor outside the door.. Plus having only one person on reception. Nice hotel & room but for a 4 star hotel & price, I wouldnt recommend it..

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Please accept my sincere apologies that your bedroom had not been serviced when you arrived at the hotel. I was disappointed to read that reception did not keep in constant communication with you regarding when the room would be ready. I have spoken to the reception manager and we will ensure that in future guests are kept upto date in a timely manner.

Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Stayed here while going to the rugby at Twickenham. The reception and lounge areas are very nice. The rooms are small (as quite often the case in London), but they were clean and nicely decorated. I had a ground floor room, so a nice view of a wall but I wasn't in the room much during daylight hours.Good shower in the bathroom and plenty of towels.
We only ate breakfast, which was at best average. Selection of fruit (actually very good and all fresh), yoghurts, cereals etc. I had a cooked breakfast - it was unfortunately cold and they were the worst lukewarm baked beans I have ever tasted. Coffee was good though!
My main concern would be the poor service at reception. I was with a group of peope and nothing was done that we asked for on arrival. Taxis weren't booked, rooms were not put on the correct bill and all with a "don't care" attitude
It wouldn't be my first choice in Richmond, but it wasn't so bad that I wouldn't go back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
AndrewLee191301, General Manager at Richmond Gate Hotel, responded to this review, February 6, 2013
Thank you for the positive comments, but I was disappointed that the cooked breakfast was not as hot as it should have been and that reception did not book the taxi's you requested and correct room billing. I have spoken with the Head Chef and Reception Manager to review your comments and ensure that additional training takes place with the team. I hope that you will stay at the Richmond Gate Hotel again on your next visit to the area.

UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

Overall comfortable and reasonably priced for London. I had a double room which was on the small side. Meals of reasonable quality. Service was a bit slow for bar food but staff very friendly. I would stay again mainly because of the location.

Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for writing a reveiw and I was pleased that you had an enjoyable stay. As well as standard bedrooms we do also have "feature, four poster & suite" bedrooms that are larger in size. I hope to welcome you back to the hotel on your next visit to Richmond.

Andrew Lee

Been to Richmond Gate Hotel? Share your experiences!