“Charming and out-of-the-way” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Petersham Hotel

You added The Petersham Hotel to your Saves list
The Petersham Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nightingale Lane, Richmond-upon-Thames TW10 6UZ, England   |
Philadelphia
“Charming and out-of-the-way”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2009

My company, which is based in London, booked a two-day meeting at the Petersham, so it was a real treat for us Yankees. It was quite a long drive from Gatwick and in the dark we couldn't see much. The hotel is charming, old-world, and apparently we got upgraded to a great river view. We had 4 floor-to-ceiling windows which afforded wonderful views of the Thames and the neighboring cows. It was pastoral. The room itself was quite large, larger than we're used to in the States, and the bed was very comfortable.

When we checked in, we weren't told anything, so we went back downstairs and met "Robin," an older gentlemen who asissted us for half an hour or so. We had a dysfunctional light in the bathroom, plus we could not figure out how to turn off the ancient radiator. Poor Robin had to get down on his stomach and show us how to turn the knob to the off setting. It probably took an hour until the heat switched off. It was mid-October and chilly outside, but we found the hotel quite warm and we never turned the radiator on again. In fact, we mostly kept the windows open a bit, which encouraged us to look at the beautiful view.

The dinner was elaborately prepared, the food quite good. We enjoyed the breakfast, especially the view.

We felt that we had been entitled to a charming bit of old England, and even enjoyed reading all the plaques and looking at all the old photos downstairs by the meeting rooms.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Peoria, AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2009

While on a business trip to England, my husband and I stayed a weekend at The Petersham Hotel in Richmond. The hotel had beautful old world elegance. Our room had a balcony with a gorgeous view of the countryside including The Thames River. The room was a little small but warm and very pretty with two glass doors opening onto the balcony. The staff, especially the concierge were excellent and made us feel right at home. The location is within walking distance to Richmond with one of the routes being a beautiful walkway along The Thames. The food in the hotel restaurant was excellent and overlooking the countryside and The Thames was beautiful. The next time I return to England I will definitely make it a point to revisit The Petersham.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
Stock, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

I like staying at the Petersham - something we do about 5 or 6 times a year as it's the place we stay when visiting Twickenham for rugby or concerts. The hotel has some old world charm, the views across the Thames are stunning and the staff are very helpful. It's not 5 star opulence on a grand scale and the dining room decor reminds me of hotels in the 1970's - but on the whole it's a very nice hotel. As a regular visitor I am aware of the various room styles - if you want a king size bed rather than a standard double make sure you tell the hotel when booking. If you want a river view room you will pay a premium and depending on the time of year and how long you will spend in the room this might be worth it, or it might not (given that the bar and terrace have the best views of all and you can sit there as long as you like!). Rooms are varying sizes - again check when you book what you are being offered. As we are usually just staying here as somewhere to eat and sleep we tend to pay around £170 for a king size non river-view room. River rooms are usually around £230. Breakfast is always included here and it is very nice! I've given the restaurant a separate review, but it is excellent food, well presented and service is good. I've never been disappointed with the Petersham and it's not often you can say that about somewhere you stay time and again.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2009

I spent 2 nights at the Petersham for my wedding. The first night I stayed with my mom in a twin room, and on the wedding night we stayed in a river view double.

I enjoyed everything about my stay at the Petersham. The staff did everything they could to make sure we had everything we needed. Since it was my wedding, I think I was quite demanding - I lost my key twice, I needed taxis organised and luggage stored - I felt like I was always asking for something and no one acted like it was too much trouble. I wanted some crisps and the bartender went and found them from somewhere even though they don't sell them at the bar. On our wedding night we got back at around midnight and they were happy to serve drinks and food to us and about 10 other people even though we were the only people in the bar. We also had champagne and sweets waiting for us in our room. The breakfast was very good as well, and it was only a £3 service charge to get it served in the room.

The rooms themselves were not huge but they were very comfortable. The river view room had a great view and the normal room still had a pleasant view over some trees.

We live in London so we don't normally need to stay in a hotel, but I definitely hope to return to the Petersham for an anniversary!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Taunton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2009

The Petersham is situated in a beautiful location but you need to book the expensive river view rooms to enjoy the views to the full.The "modern wing" rooms are very small and have no views.Service is excellent. Dinner is expensive for what is on offer but we enjoyed the summer promotion dinner on this occasion; which was reasonably priced.
Wine by the glass is hit or miss. No measures are used so sometimes you get a measure which looks positively mean at a cost of £7.00!
Cooked breakfasts in contrast were very poor.Greasy and poorly presented.Overall a good experience thanks to the views and the air of gracious living.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Dunstable
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2009

Stayed for one night in the penthouse with family. I can only comment on the penthouse suite which was excellent - a little rambling- great for our two young children! The view from the balcony of the Thames and surrounding park was lovely. Staff were very courteous and helpful - and the restaurant was first class without being stuffy. We paid the rack rate of £300 for the night, including breakfast, which I consider is an incredibly good price taking into account the situation, quality and spacious suite.
Will definitely stay again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2009

I spent a weekend at The Petersham in April, and I would definately return again. I had been particuarly busy at work and decided a needed a weekend to relax and unwind. I wanted to splash out a bit and treat myself, so i decided on what i considered to be the most luxurious looking hotel I could find on the internet.
My first encounter with the chap who greeted me at the entrance set the tone for the rest of my stay. Very courteous and professional. The view from the hotel -and particuarly the restaurant - was breathtaking and added to the sense of occasion.
My room was very clean and reasonably grand and i felt comfortable spending large parts of the day, reading and exercising in the space i was offered.
The high point for me - including the view- was eating at the restaraunt. It was a truly memorable meal. It was worth the money i paid, and the same could be said for my entire stay.
I would thoroughly recommend this hotel to anybody looking for an elegant, relaxed and charming experience.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo

Been to The Petersham Hotel? Share your experiences!