“Disappointing” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Maenan Abbey Hotel

Save Saved
You added Maenan Abbey Hotel to your Saves list
Maenan Abbey Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Maenan LLanrwst, Llanrwst, Snowdonia National Park LL26 0UL, Wales   |
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Llanrwst
Colwyn Bay
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

This was our first time here even though my family have been coming here for years. We booked Sunday lunch for a special occasion and were impressed by the setting and decor. It was quite busy to be fair but we were kept waiting for over an hour before being shown to our table. We wouldn't normally grumble too much but we had two small children with us and it was too long for them to have to wait.

There was only one vegetarian option, a stuffed pepper, which was served with mashed potato and so was too dry. Our children's meals arrived on red hot plates.

I have given three stars because the rest of the food was good and the setting was nice but I'm in no hurry to go back there.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Merseyside
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

We were welcomed for our 2night stay and allocated Ruthin room which had just been refurbished. There was a very large double bed and all facilities in a beautifully furnished ensuite room. It was large and comfortable. The staff are all very friendly and professional ensuring a comfortable stay. maenan abbey is an old building that has been tastefully restored to its former glory using the finest papers and drapes. The wonderful coal fires in their ornate fireplaces produce an authentic warm atmosphere. To complete the experience, an extensive menu of delicious food is served in an appealing dining room and all for £11.40 for 2 courses. We enjoyed our stay and will return.

Room Tip: Rooms are described on web sites
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Abergele
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

We were married here in 2006 and have been returning each year for our anniversary lunch and also for Christmas lunch ever since. Always a welcome, lovely manager and staff. love the piano playing while you eat. We had our Christmas lunch early this year as I was going into hospital. Lovely meal, good service, it always feels special. Will be back in the summer. Thanks.

Room Tip: We have only ever ate here. Would love to stay.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Holyhead
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

On our advise a party of 10 attended a family and friends get- together at the Abbey. We used the abbey as a halfway meet as we all live so part apart. Everyone said how much they enjoyed the event. The lunch was faultless, and there was a good selection of courses. The staff must be complimented, and this was acknowledge by the tip left in adition to the bill. We all agreed it is the venue for our next get together.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Wigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Here is a copy of my email to the hotel which has gone unanswered. A brief summary of my stay is that the toilet had been dismantled by the guest the night before so did not work. It had been meticulously placed back together so that it looked 'normal'. When I brought this to staff's attention, they were apologetic and did get it fixed 3 or 4 hours later...but they refused to acknowledge my comment that obviously the toilet had not been cleaned.

Then we were overcharged for dinner but on checkout, the receptionist apparently did not know how to process any sort of refund. Only the manager could do this and he had conveniently disappaeared. Upon reading other's reviews, I can see this has happened before and it is an absolutely disgusting and criminal way to treat a guest. They cannot possibly expect someone to return or recommend the place if they cannot rectify a simple overcharge.

I agree with other comments that the mattresses are terrible. They are clearly way past their best. I woke up with a very stiff shoulder and had to take ibuprofen for days before it cleared up.

Copy email below -

Dear Sirs,

I refer to our conversation upon checkout and my wife's conversation with the manager at 12pm on 28th Oct 2012 and attach a copy of the receipt as requested. I find it difficult to accept that you do not hold these records yourself but I am trying to assist.

We had 2 adult 2 course meals (no dessert) and a child's 2 course meal. You charged us for 3 adult 3 course meals.

You firstly argued that our 3 year old son's half portion is still charged at the full adult rate. Your waiter explained to us that most of the adult portion could be served half portion for half the price, and also said there was a children's menu with chicken nuggets etc. We agreed that half price half portion seemed reasonable so went for that option.

My wife and son had no tea/coffee/desert. I had one coffee after my meal. You must agree that we are due a refund which is for you to calculate the exact sum.

I will concede that you charge full price for a child's half portion which I think should be made comnpletely clear and I don't agree with.

But I am not paying for deserts which we did not have.

We booked our trip with the **** family in room 14 who were also charged for deserts they did not have and were refunded about £11 on checkout. You informed us today that that refund should have been given to us, not them and implied that we obtain the refund from them which clearly is ridiculous and unprofessional. You also asked us to obtain a copy of their bill which again is ridiculous and unprofessional and I suspect you are trying to make this more difficult than it need be.

I could see during my trip that you were short-staffed but with the greatest of respect, this is not the problem of your guests.

Upon checkout, as requested, we left all of our contact details and were assured that the manager would phone us to rectify the situation but he did not call us.

I will allow you 7 days to provide an acceptable response failing which I will formally complain to booking.com and I will post a copy of this email and supplementary comments on trip advisor.

I trust I make my position absolutely clear.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Abergavenny
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

This was my second stay in this hotel, cheaper than the Premier inn and with tons more character. The staff are friendly and efficient, the food is excellent and good value, the rooms spacious and full of character. The full welsh breakfast was tasty and filling. On the down side you have to like animals - the hotel has a number of cats roaming around and dogs are welcome. Fine by me but not to everyone's taste.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Wellingborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

We really enjoyed our 2 night stay here. The hotel is in a lovely setting, with beautiful scenery nearby. We had a lovely warm welcome, our room(room 6) was gorgeous, the staff were friendly and helpful, the restaurant food was delicicious, and all excellent value for money.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Maenan Abbey Hotel? Share your experiences!