“A must visit” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #8 of 27 Restaurants in Llanrwst
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Tea Room, Welsh
Good for: Entertaining clients, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Harpenden, United Kingdom
“A must visit”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

We have been here a few times on our travels through north Wales, but I must say the visits just get better and better! The cakes and scones taste even better than they look, and on our latest visit the Black Beef salad was amazing.
Quaint setting, toilets you'll never forget (with a bath!!) and friendly staff, even though its very very busy.
Worth planning your route around.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

North Wales
“Best scones in the world”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

Although a sweeping statement because I haven't tried every scone in the world these are the best I have ever tasted. This was one of many visits and not only is this little gem of a tea room set in a beautiful location, within a lovely old building with numerous antiques but the food is great too. A true taste of Wales.

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Typical tourist trap”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Pleasant location and food of a good standard. But the service and attitude, oh dear - we got the distinct impression that they felt they were doing us a favour by allowing us to be customers. Our fault for daring to go in with children I suppose.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
“Could be good, but dissapointing”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

I visited this tea room in April 2013 as had heard good reviews.

We arrived and ordered lunch to eat in, and some scones to take away. First the waitress brought us someone else's order. Then 10 minutes later returns and has got one of our orders wrong (even though she'd written it down correctly on the bill). She said she can bring the correct order out if we didn't mind waiting 10-15 minutes, so we just cancelled it and shared the one lunch.

Then when it come to paying she said they were too busy for me to take some scones away.

The food was nice, but pricey, definitely not in line with the service we received. Mistakes are made and I don't mind that, but when they bring out the wrong order I'd expect them to replace it immediately!

Left disappointed.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
“Appalling staff attitude!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

We (two adult one child) had a cream tea each and a lemonade. The scones are absolutely gorgeous and served with more than enough cream, jam and butter. Also, the tea is lovely and proper leaves rather than a tea bag which is excellent. However, it is expensive (despite being excellent standard of food, I felt this did not represent value for money) and the attitude of the staff I so bad I need to make numbered points to illustrate this to you...
1) they were very abrupt and gave the impression that you were there to annoy them rather than enjoy their service
2) during quiet times they stand with folded arms watching you which is creepy
3) I put my coat on a neighbouring (unoccupied) chair because there wasn't enough room to put it on my chair as it is very cramped in there... The waitress quickly took it and dropped it in my lap explaining that she might need the table for some more customers (!)
4) about halfway through our tea the waitress gave us the bill and stood arms folded watching the table despite there being empty neighbouring tables.

I just didn't understand why they were being so rude - it was inexcusable owing to the fact it was 10am, there were only two other diners and none on the horizon.

In short, I certainly wouldn't return - I don't think the staff want us to either!!

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere