“Beautiful food” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Chinese, Cantonese
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night
Description: The Saigon Restaurant is the ideal venue for Any Special Occasion Or just to enjoy the very best of Authentic Oriental Cuisine Providing a service and ambience of the highest quality, helping to ensure that you're dining Experience is something you will want to repeat.
“Beautiful food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

Having recently eaten here I must say thay the food was amazing. However we didn't receive the friendly chat and atmosphere that other's seemed to get from the staff... food made up for this though

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Somerset
“Wonderful family meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

I went to the Saigon with my husband and two boys aged 14 & 11. The 11 year old can be a fussy eater and doesn't have a great appetite but he thoroughly enjoyed his food and said the lemon chicken was the best he's ever tasted.

The restaurant is spotlessly clean and nicely presented.

The owner is a delightful man, very welcoming and friendly. He took his time to check we were having a nice meal and that everything was to our satisfaction.

We visited on an all-you-can-eat evening where you can pay £16.50 per person and they serve a huge variety of starters, crispy lamb, and then your choice of main meals. Even though we had come on all you can eat night the food was piping hot and freshly cooked. We have been to other restaurants in WSM and the food has been reheated. Not here, the food was delicious.

It also wasn't a problem that our youngest only wanted the Lemon Chicken, I was able to just order and pay for this rather than the all inclusive price. Very helpful on the part of the restaurant.

We will definitely be visiting The Saigon again. It really is the most wonderful place.

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Better than expected”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

Initial frosty welcome, due to turning up with a 6 year old and a cranky 2 year old for the Saturday night dinner service. Once seated and the kids behaving that changed and the staff were friendly.

Food is a mix of Chinese and Vietnamese and tbh a bit confused unless you ask. It's not your average Chinese gloop which is great - the menu outside does not show the full range and you can also go off piste very easily. The Special Fried Rice was nice, light and not greasy which says a lot about the skills of the chef and I would happily go back when next in the area.

All in all a pleasant surprise. I am a lover of proper oriental food and this was OK. Shame they had no flour for the Vietnamese pancakes, but at least they said so and didn't try and fob you off with some random rubbish.

I would give this place a go

One thing if you are there with young kids - They have no high chairs. If you read this review The Saigon - PLEASE BUY SOME!!!

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Weston super Mare, United Kingdom
“Very tasty”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

I visited the Saigon a few weeks ago with a friend early in the week. The restaurant was fairly unassuming and empty to begin with, but Feb in Weston can be v quiet; a few more people came in while we were there. The menu had a few interesting choices which offered some variety from your average selection, and the food was very well cooked and tasty. Worth a visit.

• Visited February 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Bristol
“Absolutely disgusting! Worst food ever!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2014

Chose this restaurant as a takeaway because it looked busy inside, what a mistake!

Asked for help on choosing the food which was a mistake, I may as well have asked how much money they have in their savings accounts by the reaction I received.

I asked for no fish sauce but the crispy noodles reeked of it, even to my partner who isn't sensitive to it. It was all soggy vegetables and tasteless overcooked noodles. The 2 slivers of chicken was undercooked and unsafe to eat within the noodles, and the satay wasn't far off clucking either. The beef curry was chip shop sauce and slivers of something that I doubt was beef. On the whole it was the greasiest slop i've ever tasted and it was an insult to oriental food full stop.

I've eaten everything from cheap microwave meals to Michelin restaurants and authentic street food whilst travelling over my years; and I've never eaten food this poorly prepared. If I'd been allergic to fish then I would have been in a lot of trouble, it's just as well its just that I don't like it. I specifically asked them to omit this, and she even asked the boss in front of me, and on sending my partner back in to collect he even identified our takeaway as being the one without fish sauce.

If you are stupid enough to try this place; do not do the takeaway! Sit inside (it's a nice restaurant actually) And then you can send the food back without being stuck with it. We were very hungry and had already had a glass of wine before food so couldn't drive back (plus we were only down in Weston for the night) otherwise I would have taken it back and given them a good telling off for insulting us with this food.

Shame on you for serving such swill when you're supposed to be representing your beautiful country's food in the UK.

Minh X, Manager at The Saigon, responded to this review, March 25, 2014
I know this young lady, she look very angry & upset when she was in the restaurant.
She take a long time to read the Menu & she ask so many question, and she not sure what she want to eat, maybe all the dishes on the Menu not for tast. She should go to Chinese Take away not Restaurant.