“Excellent place to stay....” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The York Hotel

You added The York Hotel to your Saves list
The York Hotel
3.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   1 - 3 St Margarets Terrace, Weston super Mare BS23 1AH , England   |
“Excellent place to stay....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

I stayed in this hotel with a group of friends for a night out in Weston-Super-Mare. Ive got to say this hotel topped off a great weekend.

Positives
-Had a seafront executive room which was clean throughout and very modern compared to most seaside accomodation.
- beds were very comfy and had a great nights sleep
- bathroom was clean, plenty of towells and shower was very powerfull
- 2 minute walk from the central pier and other attractions in WSM
- Staff were all in uniform and very eager to help
- plenty of staff on hand to serve all your needs and throughout the whole day
- I had an evening meal here for just £5.95 and the service and standard of the food was very high.
- breakfast was £4.95 full english plush as much coffee tea toast cerial etc as you wanted .....Bargain.
- eating area was modern and nicely decorated and very clean.
- Bar inside the hotel was stocked with various alcoholic drinks
- Outside bar was brilliant , overlooking the sea with plenty of seating
- only cost £80 to sleep 3 adults ......again bargain.

Negatives
- no lights worked in the bedroom or en-suite??? we could have spoken to the hotel but it was late at night and was we didnt really need them and im sure if we asked they would have been sorted
- no remote for the tv had to get from reception
- Parking was a 50 yards away at a separate hotel, this wasnt a problem but may cause problems for the elderly or with familes with children. There is however a car park directly at the back of the hotel which is £10 for over night

Even though there were a few minor problems that is not enough to put me off giving this hotel 5/5. If you want to visit Weston-super-mare and want a modern hotel, great price , excellent food , friendly and welcoming staff and a good nights sleep....then you should not look at any other hotel than the York hotel. I will be coming back here again for sure.

Room Tip: Choose a premier family room for plenty of space and a seafront view.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Thorngumbald.Hull
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

luckily members of my coach trip to hotel,helped me with the steps ,also staff were more than obliging.Had I been left to my own devices i could not have managed to climb the stairs and carry my walking frame.There was 1 small lift to floors,but nearly all guests on our trip had some mobility problems.One old lady,who was in a wheelchair,was forced to walk up stairs and consequently fell over a doorstep in the doorway,she broke her shoulder.Despite all of this I thoroughly enjoyed my stay,food was average,rooms could have done witth some attention,but for what I paid I cannot grumble.The friendliness of staff and eagerness to help made up for all of bad points.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

Myself and two friends (all female) stayed here for two nights after initially only booking for one night - managed to book an extra night at short notice although we had to stay in a family room for one night and then the sea view room which we had originally booked. From the minute we checked in the staff were very friendly and helpful. On our first night, the family room was in the basement, but surprisingly had a lot of window light. Ample space, 1 double and 3 single beds with a large bathroom. It wasn't particularly fancy but comfortable and clean. On our 2nd day we moved to room 103 with a sea view.... absolutely lovely! Fabulous views, very comfortable, spacious boutique-style room with a double and a single bed (all the beds were very comfy too!) and a nice bathroom. The transition between rooms was simple. The restaurant and bar by night is very chic and cosy, price of drinks here were the same as everywhere else in Weston. Breakfast was really nice. The beer garden at front of hotel was great to watch the world go by. Food in day wasn't as nice as breakfast though. Hotel is ideally situated and only two minute stroll to the pubs/clubs and pier - I would definitely stay here again without a doubt :-)

• Stayed August 2013
Solihull, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

I was sent to the York when Premier Inn let me down despite a confirmed booking for two nights.
The York is obviously a lower standard than Premier Inn, reflected in the price, and I would not ordinarily have booked there myself. However, they did step in to the breach and helped me out in a time of need when I am sure great demands were placed on them.
The room was dated but comfortable. The smoke alarm cover was open with no battery. The staff were friendly and accommodating, despite putting me in the wrong room on arrival I only experienced breakfast but this was plentiful.
The public areas were perfectly acceptable.

Room Tip: Room 304 has a good view over the Winter Gardens and the old town - as well as the sea front towards...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
stafford
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2013

If you want a good night sleep & nice food then DON'T book at the York hotel!
Room was out-dated, scruffy & discusting (toothpaste splats on wall, mould etc). Loose toilet, mouldy grout, ripped quilt cover... Yes quilt in summer, no sheets!
Food- overpriced slop, had to gulp a drink with each mouthful, grease all over the plate.
Sleep??? Erm no! Fans humming ALL night like a jet plane and too hot to have windows closed! My daughter was crying at 5:30am cos she STILL couldnt sleep.
We got up and left but no one was around to complain to so ditched the keys in reception and went hunting for breakfast. NEVER AGAIN.

Thank you for your review.
We take your complaints very seriously.
Did you come to reception to report the state of the room.?
We have fans in the office to help with the heat did you ask a member of staff if we had any fans.?
The night-porter was on duty & his number is in every room.
Did you complain about your meal to a member of staff.
If you have spoken to myself or a member of staff about any of the issues raised in your review we would of been able to rectify them.
I am sorry you didn't enjoy your stay.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I must admit reading some of the reviews after i had booked 3 nights left me a little worried,but once my wife and i got to the hotel my fears soon dissolved as we were greeted by friendly staff..We arrived between 4pm and 5 settled into the room which was decorated to a good standard and was clean and tidy.. granted the view from the room wasn't great but that really did not bother us.. we went to the bar to get a couple drinks and were served by the manager who was both friendly and welcoming then went out to the outdoor seating area which is perfectly positioned to enjoy an ice cold cider while looking out over the water and at the pier.. We went down to the restaurant and had a meal which was served quickly and was delicious, also had a carvery on Sunday which was awesome so no problems with the food whatsoever! All in all we had a great stay in the york hotel and plan on going back there again..Keep up the good work

Thank you for your review.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us & we hope to see you back soon.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013 via mobile

Booked one night away and was impressed at the friendliness of the staff. We had room 308 which unfortunately has a hot water pipe running through it. In the heat wave conditions it was very hot! The staff were apologetic and provided a fan. This was all they could do, but at least it was something. Overall a good stay in a great location, with fabulous weather'n

Thank you for your review.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us.
The hot water pipes are a problem in hot weather but we don't usually have such hot weather, we have quite a few fans now to help with this problem.

Been to The York Hotel? Share your experiences!