“Classic Fish And Chip Restaurant But Is It Trying To Be More And Should It?” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Atlantic Fish Bar & Restaurant

Cuisines: Seafood, Fish & Chips
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Honiara, Solomon Islands
“Classic Fish And Chip Restaurant But Is It Trying To Be More And Should It?”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

I was looking forward to a great fish and chip lunch and the cosy decor of the restaurant made me feel at home straight away and even more filled with anticipation. This was clearly an interesting place - you can get your classic fish and chip meal (which is why I had turned up there) but the menu also reflects what I assume is the proprietor's keen interest in his work and business since there was also on offer a range of fish dishes which have a particular emphasis on sustainable fish and something else a little different from straightforward cod and chips (mackeral sandwich, ling goujons, moules mariniere). There was a card which informed diners of an upcoming taster night where punters could try fish dishes which they may not have tried before including a chowder and items not necessarily associated with a fish and chip restaurant, rather you may find them in an upmarket fish establishment. The problem was that I had come wanting to enjoy a nice plate, if not a great plate, of cod and chips. A modest wish really and, in the presence of all this sustainability and a lurch in the direction of something a little more sophisticated, one that made feel slightly guilty about my menu choice - plain fried cod and chips with mushy peas. Anyway I stuck to my guns and I was rapidly presented with what certainly looked like an appetising plate of fish and chips with a lovely-looking light batter with a ramikin of mushy peas. Things did not start well. When I started to eat it, the fish appeared to me to be undercooked so much so that I felt I had to take it back to the counter. This was not a problem, a fresh piece was cooked for me and was perfect the second time round and it appeared that the undercooked fish was a one-off event since all the other lunchers were clearly enjoying their meals. The chips were fine though not spectacular (for those who raise the question of the existence of spectacular chips, I assure you that they do exist and possibly one may expect to encounter them in a slightly pricey fish and chip restaurant such as The Atlantic), My mushy peas, too, were not the greatest I've had - not terribly tasty and, well, not that mushy either. The meal, in short, was thoroughly edible but, sadly, not fantastic and I left with the feeling that The Atlantic is more worthy than great. Perhaps the owners need to decide what they are doing with the restaurant - my own feeling is that if it looks like a fish and chip restaurant, and it walks like a fish and chip restaurant, and it quacks like a fish and chip restaurant then...it is a fish and chip restaurant and perhaps the proprietors need to concentrate on producing great fish and chips first and foremost before straying off to areas more adventurous. This just does not seem to be quite the setting for more esoteric dishes. There's nothing wrong with a great plate of fish and chips - in fact it still is a great crowd-pleaser.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

87% Recommend
Weston-super-Mare, England, United Kingdom
“Best in town”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

Once again we were not disappointed at this visit. The restaurant was clean and tidy and all the staff seemed happy with what they were doing. Sustainable haddock and properly cooked chips were excellent.

Visited September 2012
Weston super Mare, United Kingdom
“Superb”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

I have visited the atlantic every Friday for as long as I can remember and the standards only get better. I would not buy fish and chips from anywhere else in Weston

Visited September 2012
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Traditional fish & chip restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

I love this place! Traditional fish and chips, fresh fish in a lovely crispy batter, fresh chunky properly made chips, mushy peas, fizzy drinks in heavy bottomed glasses or a nice pot of tea, bread and butter and knickerbockerglory for pudding - what more could you want from a seaside fish and chip restaurant. And the staff are lovely too. Definitely recommend.

Visited April 2012
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Friendly staff, good food, reasonable price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

Header says it all really! The food is good, my son had the burger egg and bacon with chips, my husband and I both had the rock and chips. The rock and chips was part of the 'fish for a fiver' which is before 6pm. simply fish and chips, no veg but that is fine, that is what you get when you normally buy fish and chips. Deserts are a good size and have a nice selection from some posh desserts to knickerblocker glory.

• Visited September 2012