“Perfect lunch.” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Aberdeenshire
“Perfect lunch.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

I wanted to go to the Milton since it had been taken over by Jay Emmerson. Popped in for lunch today with my Mum. Got a warm welcome from the lovely Gillian who has been working there for some time. I must say that Milton will always have a special place in my heart as my husband and I had a dinner here for our wedding guests but that was 12 years ago!
While not vastly changed, it was nice to see all paintwork refreshed, new chairs and tables and fresh flowers everywhere (being watered by Jay's Mum) - the place has really been spruced up. I had hoped there might be some light choices on the menu other than soup and sarnies but I ended uo choosing a main course from the full a la carte choice and I'm glad I did. The seabass with pea and spinach velouté was simply superb. I can't wait to go back and have it again!

• Visited March 2013

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

We have been regular customers of the Milton for some years after visiting it several times whilst living in Aberdeen and more frequently since we moved to Banchory 4 years ago.
The restaurant is now under new ownership and has been redecorated and freshened up which has improved it greatly as it had become a little tired in terms of decor and service over the past couple of years.
The food was, as always excellent with a good choice of classic dishes with a contemporary twist. I had monkfish, my husband had steak and my mum had duck. We swapped some of our side orders without any problems and the meats were cooked exactly as requested.
Jay the new owner was very welcoming and chatted with the different tables. There was a pianist playing and we were given complimentary canapes and petit fours.
All in all a very enjoyable evening and will be back soon

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Thank you from a grateful traveller”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Six years ago, I was traveling alone in the Scottish Highlands. I had taken a bus out to Crathes Castle, lost track of time, and missed my bus back into town. I hadn't eaten all day, and the castle's cafe had already closed. This is when I walked down the road and found the Milton. I shuffled into the fancy-looking restaurant in my shabby travel clothes, meek as a mouse, and squeaked out in my American English, “do you have soup to go?” The hostess gave me a skeptical glance over and was in the middle of basically saying, definitely NOT, when the man behind her (I believe he may have been the owner, although possibly a manager) stepped toward me, brushing her gently aside. He smiled kindly, and said he thought he might be able to find some to-go containers. He went out and searched through a supply shed, and after what I think must have been considerable persistence on his part, he came back about 25 minutes later with a container of the most delicious potato and leek soup, as well as warm bread and butter! When I tried to pay him, he would not even take my money. I went back outside to the road and ate my soup by the bus stop, shedding quiet tears of gratitude.

To this day, when I think about what kind of person I would like to be in this world, I still think of that man's totally unnecessary, unexpected generosity. I truly feel that these kinds of gestures – the little acts of kindness to strangers which will probably never be rewarded, or even recognized – are the true measures of person's character. I wish that, at the time, I could have found the words to tell this man how much that small incident meant to me.

Sarah

• Visited April 2012
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

The Milton is under the new ownership of Jay Emmerson and he has made a lovely job of improving the decor and ambience of the restaurant. He has a great team of chefs and waiting staff and with his charming care and attention to detail it is once again one of our favourite restaurants.
The choice on offer on the menu catered for all tastes and the food could not be faulted.
We had a very tasty, well prepared and skilfully presented meal. We will most definitely be back - and soon.

• Visited February 2013
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Great Monday lunch in re-opened Brasserie”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Had a really lovely lunch here on Monday. Have visited regularly over the years, but felt things had been a bit lack-lustre last year. Not any more! Really friendly service, excellent food ( the beer battered fish was just lovely and delicious cheescake for pud) and a really nice ambience. The new decor has lightened and brightened the space. It was lovely to see the place so busy for a February Monday lunch too. We will definitely be back again soon!

• Visited February 2013