“We really liked this hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Tor-na-Coille
Inchmarlo Road | Royal Deeside, Banchory AB31 4AB, Scotland   |
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Banchory
Vancouver Island, Canada
“We really liked this hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013

We stayed at this likeable boutique country house hotel for a two-night stay last week on our tour of Scotland. This hotel offered a lovely room in the master deluxe category, amazing service from every employee working in this hotel including their restaurant. Restaurant was very good and well priced.

Room Tip: We liked our master deluxe room
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Peterhead, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

We spent a lovely night away in the Tor-na-Coille. We had a gorgeous room with an adjoining sitting room and couldn't have asked for better! Our meal was lovely and the service from GM was excellent.
Only one complaint was that you either had to both have the bar menu or both have the restaurant menu. Me being a fussy eater needed a plainer dish where as my husband wanted to chose from the fine dining menu. All dishes were individually priced so I wouldnt have thought it would have been a problem but we both had to have the same.
However we will be back!

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This recently refurbished hotel is lovely - the decor, staff & food couldn't be faulted. A room issue we had was dealt with generously and quickly. We were there on a Sunday night and so more or less had the restaurant to ourselves but we had beautiful service and gorgeous food - very reasonably priced too. Tiny negatives are the soundproofing in the rooms - someone need to visit the ENT specialist re their snoring (!) and that the dining room was a wee bit cool to be comfortable (for us anyway). Seems petty to list though considering everything else.

Re the last review about the King Scallops - this wasn't a scallop dish, it was a Wild Garlic Veloute with a scallop garnish. We had to re-read the menu as it was slightly unclear but the soup does have the top billing.

Final comment goes to the General Manager - you fully deserve your personal award and the various hotel awards. Thank you for a brilliant stay!

Room Tip: Pay the wee bit extra and go for the Junior Suite
scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

My husband took me here for our 16th anniversary.

There were no vegetarian canapés and a small choice on the menu, but to be fair the chef went out of his way to prepare two meals off the menu for us.

We did not feel rushed or watched over at all during our meal and it was nice to sit and feel relaxed in the lovely surroundings.

The food was excellent and would highly recommend it to anyone.

I certainly hope to return again very soon

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stayed at Tor-Na-Coille over the Easter weekend this year with my three chidlren (12 1/2; 10 1/2 and 8) and very much enjoyed my stay there.

The staff is incredibly nice, helpful and good-willing. They accomodated my children's food requirements (a bit of this, a lot of that, this but without that, etc.) with a lot more patience than me, I changed the time I had booked dinner on both evenings without any problem, and reception got me the Sunday papers I would normally read at home. We spent a whole afternoon reading and chatting by the fire place undisturbed but were served tea straight away as we asked for it.

The rooms are nice, very cosy and comfortable, the bathrooms are more basic but sparkling clean, and all the things you may need are already in your room! As I booked late, I could not have the second bedroom next to my daughter's and mine but considering my boys' age, this was not an issue.

My own bedroom was next to the main staircase and I could hear the fireproof door when it was closed/opened. This did not bother us but I think it would annoy guests with a light sleep.

I highly recommend Tor-Na-Coille both as an hotel and as a restaurant.

Room Tip: Avoid room next to main staircase (noisy fireproof door).
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Wakefield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

Having looked at the menu we booked a meal in the restaurant for the final night of our holiday. Unfortunately all did not turn out well. Service was quite slow - 40 mins to get our starter - seared king scallops - what turned up was 1 scallop - cold. The main course was nice, we were asked if we wanted desserts - yes we did - but after 20 mins no-one turned up to take the order. When someone finally turned up we were fed up of waiting - we asked for the bill - £65. My advice is that if you must eat here, have a bar meal - the service seems to be far superior to the restaurant and the food quantity and pricing is far better.
What a pity as the setting is quite nice.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

What a terrific, warm place. The hotel itself is really beautiful and has gone through a well done renovation. The room was very cozy and warm. An extremely peaceful place. THe dinner was excellent. The wait staff were a bit green and there was some mix ups, They could use some training. They seemed young and sweet...very eager but not completely effective. But not a big issue. The woman at the front desk reception area was so lovely and made us feel completely welcome immediately. The price was very good...we were shocked. And the breakfast was ample. I liked that there were hot options as well as a cold breakfast bar. We only had one night here and were sad to leave. A great spot to have a quiet weekend...the area is so beautiful...Braemar, Balmoral, etc. I sigh just thinking about it! Wish I was there now!! I just love Scotland.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Tor-na-Coille? Share your experiences!