“Outstanding surroundings - a great stay” 5 of 5 stars

Banchory Lodge
Dee Street, Banchory AB31 5HS, Scotland   |
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Banchory
Bolton, United Kingdom
“Outstanding surroundings - a great stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

I stayed one night and arrived quite late in the evening - it was about 40 minutes taxi ride from Aberdeen Airport. Receptionist gave a very friendly greeting and showed me to my room (hotel is rather like a labyrinth). Room was massive in comparison with most hotels and the bathroom was ultra modern, very spacious - very elegant! Went down for a bite to eat - food arrived promptly and was nice and hot. After I'd eaten, I was offered tea. Great nights sleep. Next morning, had a hearty breakfast - room overlooked the river - very peaceful and mellow. Good wifi signal throughout the hotel. Very impressed with the hotel and wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms have doors opening out on to a patio overlooking the river - definitely recommende...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Dundonald, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

This is the second time I've stayed at this hotel. I liked it the first time I stayed in January this year and booked again when I went back to the area on business. I really like the feeling of comfort I get when I stay there. It's lots of small things that add up to make it so pleasant. Friendly and helpful staff. Fabulously comfy beds. Good en-suite facilities. In the evening they light lovely candles in the entrance hall. I find the place, soothing and peaceful. The setting is great. At breakfast I was looking out the window and saw fish jumping upstream in the river and Heron on the river bank. Breakfast has plenty of choice. While the evening menu might be a bit limited for some people, I loved my evening meal. I had risotto which was tasty and perfectly cooked. Both times I have stayed here the food has been great. If I return to the area I would book there again. I wish them all the very best.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2014

We attended as guests at an all day wedding May 25th.
The setting was beautiful overlooking the river dee, with breathtaking scenery perfect for wedding photos.
Every window looked out onto a stunning view.
The staff who served the wedding reception should be highly praised, very good service, efficient, no waiting between courses.
The food was of a very high standard, piping hot, cooked to perfection.
Perfect Wedding for Lynne and Ash.

• Stayed May 2014
Kintore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

Took 3 guests out for dinner Saturday 24th May expecting to get a nice meal how wrong was I. Got a nice welcome from a waiter then it all started to go wrong.. Ordered starters the menu said broth it should have been renamed barley soup because that was what it was with only 2 pieces of diced carrot in it(no exaggeration ) . Pate was so bitter it totally put her off, not sure if it was the butter all round it,but we never said anything at that point thinking it would get better, how wrong could we have been. Chicken arrived cold, in fact very cold along with the vegetables on the plate. 2 of us put it back but other just said she would eat it as by this time she had been totally put off by her starter, but left most of it. It said on menu chicken with braised leek,mustard sauce I thought it was a leek and mustard sauce but there were no leeks to be seen waitress took it back and apologised 30 mins later my husband and I got a new freshly cooked chicken with 2 baby leeks on top, it was slightly warmer. Decided to order sweets which you couldn't think anything could be wrong with that. Sticky toffee was lovely but apple crumble was so hard it maybe should have said apple crunch. 3 scoops of ice cream cost £6. I just gave up complaining as it was embarrassing for our guests. The waiter took the price of the 2 chicken off but that's not what we went there for. Lovely staff but that was all.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

About 40 ladies met here to have our Luncheon and not only was the service very good, but the location of the restaurant was excellent! We were literally on the river bank and were able to take gorgeous photos with a totally scenic background. The wait staff was attentive, the food was served in a timely manner and although we were not guests at the hotel, the entire experience convinced me that I had to bring my out of town family here on their next trip to Scotland.

Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

at wedding at the banchory lodge and have to say the service was terrible .tables were littered with glasses and no table service for evening guests.the ladies toilets were a disgrace .they obviously were never checked during the whole day and run out of toilet roll very early on.was so looking forward to our first visit but will be our last.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2014

We had not dined here for a while as the standards were quite poor but against the advice of friends who warned us, we decided to give it another go. Big mistake! The only upside is the setting on the banks of the river. The downsides, where do I start. The décor is very old and tatty and appears not to have seen a refresh in years. The food (there was a number of us having dinner) was really poor across all of us (you would have hoped they could have got at least one dish to an acceptable level). The soup was cold (and I mean cold), the salmon was undercooked, the side dishes were cold etc etc. It went from bad to worse.
Very disappointing, we should have listened to advice and give it a (very) wide swerve. next time we venture to Banchory we wont be dining here.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Been to Banchory Lodge? Share your experiences!