“Beautiful hotel and grounds” 5 of 5 stars

Raemoir House Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Royal Deeside, Banchory AB31 4ED, Scotland   |
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Banchory
Aberdeen, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Beautiful hotel and grounds”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

We stayed overnight at Raemoir as we were attending a friend's wedding, the venue itself is lovely, set in stunning grounds. When we arrived we were given the wrong room but the staff quickly resolved the situation with no fuss. We stayed in a double room and it was adequate for our needs, I would say the shower could do with being a bit more powerful as it definitely did not invigorate me. The breakfast was excellent and very relaxed. we did have a problem with our bill when checking out and it did take the assistant a bit of time to sort this out but it was resolved. The rooms are of an older style but then it is an old house so it would probably be a bit out of character if they were fully modernised.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
NDR311, Owner at Raemoir House Hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Dear Andrea M,
Thanks for submitting a review of your stay to TripAdvisor, it is good to know that you enjoyed the experience. As you note, there are challenges with a 200 year old house and we are trying to work out how best these are addressed, but sometimes the solutions are not as straightforward as you might imagine! In an age of plastic hotels and less than inspiring re-inventions, retaining the character and charm of Raemoir is very important to us.
Kind regards
Neil

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Faversham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

I spent the last weekend of April attending a family wedding at the Raemoir House Hotel, and overall the experience was excellent, as the staff worked tirelessly to make us all comfortable and keep us cheerful. The house is rather spledid, and grounds very fine. Many guests remarked on how splendid their rooms were
However, I had a couple of issues which I wished to dicuss with the proprietor on my return, and e-mailed him about this on May 5th, with a follow-up later ; so far I have had no reply.
My two issues were, firstly, my single room was small, even poky, as a sizeable slice had been taken out to make a bathroom. In the remaining section I could very nearly touch the two walls with my outstretched hands. ( I am 5'3''). The wall cupboard that was the wardrobe could only be accessed by moving the chair. The only place to put my other possessions was a sort of sideboard that doubled as bedside table, and the tea-making tray was squashed in behind the TV. The bed had to against the wall, which I find uncomfortable.The window overlooked a rectangle of bare earth. I understood that all the rooms were taken, and mine had already been allocated, so no upgrade was possible. This did not seem to me to match up with the splendours of the rest of the house.
The second matter was the bill. When I checked out, it did not seem right to me, being £15.00 more than I expected. I queried it, and the very pleasant young woman on the reception desk looked anxious, explained that she was new to the job, and the bills had been prepared the night before. I thought it best to pay, and sort the problem out when I returned home, firstly because I wanted to check my confirmatory e-mail and make sure I had not made a mistake, and secondly, I was expecting my taxi shortly, and was very anxious not to miss my train.
I am surpised and disappointed not to have had a response of any sort from the proprietor ; if he is away, surely he has staff on the premises who can at least acknowledge an e-mail, and promise a full response in due course. Not very professional.

Room Tip: My room, whose name began with D, is on the first floor, at the left-hand end of the landing. There...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
NDR311, Owner at Raemoir House Hotel, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
I have attended to this review privately by way of direct e-mail exchange and concluded matters. Although I am thoroughly disappointed that we provided cause for complaint due to an administrative error resulting in the overcharge, it is for reasons of diplomacy and courtesy to the guest that the exchanges will not be printed within this forum.
Aberdeen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

We stayed at this hotel on 3rd and 4th May 2013 for our wedding. We were getting married at Crathes Castle but was staying at this hotel. We were in the Bridal Suite - Raemoir and all I can say is it was fabulous. It was huge.

The management went out of their way to accommodate us when we tried to book as we had originally booked in at Maryculter House Hotel a year in advance but they had let us down badly a month to go. The Raemoir couldnt do enough for us and we are so pleased with them. A big thanks to Stephanie and Carolyn who were fantastic.

I couldnt recommend this hotel more. We will definitely be back for our anniversary.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
NDR311, Owner at Raemoir House Hotel, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear Thundercatsgirl
Many thanks for the review of Raemoir which you submitted to TripAdvisor. It's great to learn that you enjoyed the hotel enough to let everyone know. Everyone has been made aware of your comments and Stephenie and Carolyn are particularly delighted.
Let us know what we can do with your anniversary return!
Best wishes to you
Grangemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

With my family and friends I stayed at this hotel on Friday night and Saturday night whilst in the area for the wedding of my lovely son and his stunning bride Wendy Buchan and what a wonderful experience we all had there. The rooms were beautiful and spotlessly clean, we were in Scolty and it was great with a lovely view over the gardens. The Raemoir Suite where the bride and groom were was huge and gorgeous. The hotel has many of the original features and is so full of character, The lounge areas and dining rooms have many of the original features, with huge chandeliers and big bay windows - gorgeous. A huge thank you to all the staff and managers on duty over the weekend, so helpful a friendly. I would recommend a visit.

Room Tip: Rooms 203 and 204 have lovely views over the garden and are quiet.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
NDR311, Owner at Raemoir House Hotel, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear CatherineFerguson
Thank you very much for submitting a review to TripAdvisor, I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your weekend with us. I hope we can welcome you and your family back again in future.
Best wishes to you all
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013

I just wanted to commend Sheeja and Stephanie for their cheerful and professional help when I wandered into the Raemoir last week on the off-chance that there might be a room available. There wasn't, but they readily searched on line and checked around by telephone (all the while taking care of the other guests passing through reception). Though I didn't take up the Wigwam offer, their work saved me a great deal of time looking in a 30-mile radius.

So thank you ladies! If this is the kind of service you extend to non-guests, that inspires me to want to experience the hotel as a guest. I'll plan ahead next time.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
NDR311, Owner at Raemoir House Hotel, responded to this review, May 8, 2013
Dear Doreen W
Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor, it is heartening to learn that our customer service has had such a positive impact. I hope we can welcome you to Raemoir sometime as a guest and complete your experience of the hotel!
Best wishes
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

Booked this hotel as a nice weekend getaway in the middle of a business trip. It was a disappointing stay — three stars would be accurate. For the hotel, bathroom was dirty upon arrival. Some aspects really need "freshening up" — really old shower head, holes in wall, threadbare carpet. Main view out the back was dominated by a muddy parking lot. Service was not very attentive. Staff promised twice to help with outside activities, but did not follow up. Recommend you have your plans set on your own before going. Hotel is not a place for kids as the common areas are very quiet. Also if there is an event at the hotel like on the first night — a number of common areas will be off limits so make sure you ask. The bed was comfy and the sitting areas were nicely maintained. There is no wi-fi in the room just in common areas. Tiny TV in the room. Ate in the restaurant the first night — food was very good. Service was friendly. You could hear a pin drop in the dining room. If you eat there on a night when everything is "on" then it will be a great experience. However, the second night experience was not good. This night the staff seemed very stressed out. They were very obnoxious, running around and huffing and puffing. Everything was too much to ask. Was never able to get a drink at the bar. I ended up walking down the road to eat dinner at Cow Shed — they sat me right down, super friendly, free wifi in the restaurant, all local ingredients and excellent prices. All in all Raemoir was not up to the standards of other countryside homes when it comes to service and lodging. It does have the opportunity to be a great place. The surrounding countryside is gorgeous.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
NDR311, Owner at Raemoir House Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear HighlandMommy
Thank you for submitting your recent review of Raemoir to TripAdvisor, I am as disappointed as you are that we seemed to have failed on so many levels. Of course we all want our product to attract nothing but praise all the time, but warranted criticism is equally important, without it we would find it difficult to attend to any improvements needed. I accept that some observations made by guests can be subjective but it is our intention that we at least meet expectations.
As would be expected we try and work out who the guest was and when they stayed in an effort to understand any issues and on this occasion I think we have managed however some of the observations made suggest otherwise. In the interest of understanding this review fully I wonder if you might care to contact me directly so I can discuss it further.
Our best wishes in the meantime,
aberdeen
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

This is a great country house hotel, full of character, located in wonderful grounds. We were part of a large group for dinner and were very well looked after in the very elegant private dining room. The food was very good (probably best described as 'Modern British') although perhaps not such a great choice for vegetarians. The large comfy lounge is a great place to relax afterwards for coffee and a nightcap. We stayed overnight in a wonderful room (Durris) located on the top floor, with a huge amount of space, comfy sofa and beautiful views. The shower was adequate, although not a full-on power-shower. Breakfast was very good, although the service was a little slow.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
NDR311, Owner at Raemoir House Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear panjabigastronome
Thank you for taking the time to submit a review of your recent visit to Raemoir. It is good to hear that for the most part we got things right for you, however I note the observations you have made and can tell you that we are actively reviewing how we best improve our vegetarian options. Getting the balance right can be a challenge sometimes!
The water pressure to the top floor is also work in progress - a 200 year old building with its associated plumbing is not the easiest to work with.
As for the breakfast service all I can do here is apologise and bring it to the staff's attention. I am not sure when you stayed exactly so it is difficult to determine if anything in particular might have caused this so raising the awareness that such issues are apparent to customers will hopefully help prevent any recurrence.
I hope the shortcomings you experienced did not spoil your experience enough not to consider returning to Raemoir again.
Kind regards
Neil Rae

Been to Raemoir House Hotel? Share your experiences!