“Excellent” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Bodmin
Bodmin, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

Food is excellent, setting is lovely, room very comfortable, lovely welcome every time we have been. Bar meals good, restaurant even better, good breakfasts. We don't like carvery but this has changed our opinion as it is the best sunday carvery we have ever had.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Regan B, Guest Relations Manager at Lanhydrock Hotel and Golf Club, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Thank you for your review. I will certainly pass on your comments to the team, especially to the Chef regarding the Carvery! I have to say you’re not the only one who has also been converted on this front. I do hope to welcome you back to Lanhydrock soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Newquay, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

Held a surprise 60th Birthday celebration in the Turret Suite, I cannot praise the hotel staff enough they were so helpful from start to finish for this event, and for our stay, nothing was too much trouble, the food for each course was outstanding along with the service from the two Waiters, our hotel room for our stay was one of the best we have stayed in clean, spacious, and comfortable, we recently stayed in a 5 star hotel in London, and would place the Lanhydrock at the same level. Thanks again for everything Clare and your team, We'll be back!!!

Room Tip: Ground Floor Room overlooking the Golf course, are absolutely outstanding.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
clarebond, Owner at Lanhydrock Hotel and Golf Club, responded to this review, July 20, 2014
We were delighted to have been involved from start to finish in the ‘cloak & dagger’ arrangements. So glad that you were happy with everything and that it all went to plan! I will pass on your comments to the whole team. We look forward to seeing you all back at Lanhydrock in the near very future. Kindest regards, Clare
Great Malvern, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

This hotel is good but could definitely be better. The good: The rooms are lovely (choose ground floor facing the golf course if you can... lovely landscaped grounds and beautiful sunsets you can watch from the little patio just outside your room). Bathroom was big with a great shower, deep tub and good lighting (for make up purposes!), the bedroom was big, the bed comfy, and generally clean and well decorated.
The reception staff were varied in friendliness: most of the ladies were lovely but there was one lady who was generally unhelpful (we asked if there was a cash point or a shop anywhere nearby and she just said "no, sorry" ..?!?)
The bar staff were all clearly just there for the money - I can kind of appreciate this as I work as a waitress at a hotel restaurant and it's a huge bugbear of mine when staff can't be bothered to even appear as if they care about what they're doing. I stood at the empty bar waiting to be acknowledged for a good two minutes while 4 staff members did their best to look busy and ignore me. And when when I was served, I felt like I was just a huge pain for them.

The breakfast! Apparently they have an award for this but the brekkie in the hotel I work at is much better and we don't have any award! It was a simple cold and hot buffet. There was a good selection of cereals, fruit, croissants and toast, but the hot buffet was so standard and all a bit greasy and just kept warm. If the brek was a bit more adventurous and made to order, I think that'd be much better.
The breakfast staff however were lovely. When my boyfriend set a croissant on fire, and we asked for copious amounts of butter, coffee, and for eggs to order, they were all very accommodating (and forgiving).

Overall, the Lanhydrock is in a lovely place, the staff are generally nice, and because we saved about £100 on our booking due to a promotion we were happy, but I wouldn't pay full price without expecting more attention to detail and the bits where the hotel fell down to greatly improve.

Room Tip: ground floor facing the golf course!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Regan B, Guest Relations Manager at Lanhydrock Hotel and Golf Club, responded to this review, July 20, 2014
Thank you for your review. Your feedback regarding the service you received from our staff is much appreciated. We are renowned for the attentive & friendly atmosphere we create here. I am truly sorry that you did not experience the level of service that we are so well known for. The staff will be made aware of your comments to remind them they need to be 100% customer focused 100% of the time and how their actions are perceived.

I am sorry to hear your expectations at Breakfast were not met. We do hold an award for our breakfast, which we have worked hard to achieve and maintain. I will discuss your comments with the chef to ensure we continue to deliver our award winning standard.
(I will also warn the croissants to watch out should they find themselves approaching a toaster!). Kindest regards, Regan
Northampton, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

I spent two nights with work and was really impressed with the hotel, a great place to explore the surrounding area, the room was clean and spacious,the food was excellent both evening and breakfast, would recommend

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for your review and recommendation. We are often used as a base for holiday makers looking to explore the county. I hope to welcome you as a guest of leisure in the future so you can really relax and enjoy all we have to offer. Kindest regards, Regan
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

We have just returned from a 4 night break, yet again a great time. The rooms are big and spacious with everything you need (Free wifi) Breakfast is superb, fruit and plenty of choice for the cooked option. Haddock with poached eggs was excellent.
Golf course was yet again in pristine condition. Not a player myself, but enjoy walking and caddying for my husband.
Hopefully will manage to get back for a few days in the autumn. Can't wait.
Thanks to all staff for great and friendly service.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Market Bosworth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

We set off on the spur of the moment to visit the Eden Project and after a hot journey due to a hold up on the A30 we were in need of somewhere to stay. Pure good fortune led us to the Lanhydrock Hotel. We drove down the drive and were instantly impressed by the stunning location. Our room was overlooking the golf course and the view was second to none. We were even able to watch the fish jumping in the lake. The Bistro offered us a good selection of food and when we fell into bed we stept like logs until breakfast time. A thoroughly enjoyable stay and good value for money. The helpful friendly staff were a bonus.

Room Tip: Try to get a room overlooking the golf course its a wonderful view.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Regan B, Guest Relations Manager at Lanhydrock Hotel and Golf Club, responded to this review, June 28, 2014
Thank you for your review. I am delighted you enjoyed your spur of the moment visit and certainly hope the Eden Project delivered on par with us! We are blessed with some outstanding views, the main club house, dining areas and hotel have been designed to ensure we maximise them at every opportunity. I will personally thank the fish for adding to them too!! We hope to welcome you back to Lanhydrock in the future. Kindest regards, Regan
Teignmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

Having looked at a couple of indifferent reviews on tripadvisor I thought it possible that my enthusiastic critique may be called upon, despite the complimentary feedback from trusted friends and subsequent recommendation to stay at The Lanhydrock Hotel and Golf Club.
Overall, my main gripe was that there was nothing to gripe about!....... apart from taking far too many shots to get around the golf course on Sunday, and I can't really blame that on the Hotel, unfortunately, and, I didn't let my patchy golf ruin an otherwise lovely walk!

Environmentally, the hotel generally gave an airy, spacious feel whilst providing enough warmth through attentive and friendly staff for relaxation.
We arrived fairly late and it seemed like no trouble accommodating our need for food when others diners were finishing. We were offered both menus and chose modestly after being ridiculously indecisive - the young waitress charming and patient.
Our room was smart. The bathroom was modern with pleasant decor, plus the layout of the main room unusual in its design enough to impress, seemingly not for the want to impress, more for clever functionality and use of space. All very clean and overlooking the golf course.
The bed was big and comfortable.
The brand new gym was fitted out with a similar investment to design; all the equipment solid - the kind of gym that non residents would use. It was quiet though, when I decided to burn a few calories before breakfast on the concept 2 rower; I have to comment on the professional quality of the facility throughout.

Breakfast was offered in either the busier (with a golf society) lounge or the quieter restaurant, itself offering open views down over the eighteenth green and the countryside beyond. The staff were young, polite and attentive and the main breakfast a large cooked buffet selection of locally sourced traditionally English fare ( with fresh,big,fried potatoes in onions, proper sausages and butchers bacon). There were fresh fruit salads and fresh croissants and breads, honey and jams, all locally sourced. My fore mentioned critique normally bites into corners that have been cut in these areas; alas the extra couple of kilometers on the rower proved worthwhile as I waited patiently whilst the small queue of golfers bantered and sat down with their second helpings in the bar and lounge and I enjoyed a fine morning feast whilst taking in the view.
The music playing was intriguing; I asked the barman who it was and he beckoned me into where the system was to find out and I now have ordered Alexi Murdoch's new album on the back of feeling at home!

I choose not to elaborate on the round of golf apart from suggesting to anyone playing the course for the first time to keep your driver in your bag until you really need it and put your brain in gear. It can lull you in... be warned! Lovely par 3 over the water on the front nine. Good condition generally.

We didn't have the "famous' Sunday carvery, however relaxed a while amidst the many who did.
I enjoyed the near formal atmosphere of the smart families that took their drinks before their lunches. You could tell they were from local source and the hotel/golf club seemed to represent a warm and decent sanctuary for them and older family members to socialise and have a traditionally good Sunday lunch. Quite a nice buzz about the place!
We quietly said our goodbyes and drove to the beaches around Padstow down the road.
We'll be going back. Sadly, with nothing to complain about.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write such an in depth and considered review. We appreciate all the feedback we receive and feel privileged you have given us such a meritable critique. Many would agree with you regarding the use of your driver as a first timer…as you say though a lovely walk!

I am glad you enjoyed one of our latest additions to the hotel, our Fitness Suite. It is certainly proving very popular amongst both hotel residents and local guests.

I will ensure all the team here are made aware of your review and will enjoy the looks of satisfaction spread across their faces as they read it. I would like to thank you again for the time and thought given and look forward to welcoming you back to Lanhydrock again soon. Kindest regards, Regan.
PS I hope you are enjoying your new album..!

Been to Lanhydrock Hotel and Golf Club? Share your experiences!