“Steaming on .” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #6 of 25 things to do in Bodmin
More attraction details
Owner description: Cornwall's Premier Steam Railway will appeal to all age groups.Join us for a leisurely 13 mile journey through scenic Cornish countryside evocative of a 1950's Branch line.
Skipton, United Kingdom
22 attraction reviews
“Steaming on .”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

Arrived by First Great Western at Bodmin Parkway Station. Had about an Hour to wait so visited the Signal Box Cafe with is run by the B&WR. Had the feel of a normal station cafe. Train arrived hauled by a class 33 diesel loco as steam engine had failed due to a broken spring. Not a problem for me is I like classic Diesel Traction. The BR Mk1 Coaches are in Excellent condition. Train Departed ontime. We made our way to Bodmin General. On arrival I found the station in prestine GWR fashion. A real credit to those involved. Progress is a bit slow as a shunt move is required at 'General' station before moving onto Boscarne Jct. This station is only 'Junction' by name. Simply one platform & a loop for the loco to run round its train. The steam loco was repaired and back on our train for the return trip. This is a pleasant heritage railway. Not really a full dayout unless linked with something else in the area. For me & my son its back on First Great Western at 'Parkway' station after a few hours visit.

Leicestershire, United Kingdom
23 attraction reviews
“Doesn't really compare to the Great Central Railway”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012 via mobile

If you have never been on a steam train on a preserved railway then this will be a real experience. Unfortunately for us, we have been on the Great Central Railway in Leicestershire a number of times and, although they are both about the same price, the GCR is much better value for money. The Bodmin and Wenford journey has no nice views and there seems to be lot of sitting around. On that basis, £11.50 per person is a bit on the expensive side.

Oldham, United Kingdom
18 attraction reviews
“Okay for a rainy day”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

Visited the railway on a rainy Bank Holiday Monday so it was quite busy. We did the two trip journey at £12 each, but I was a bit disappointed. Once on the train, you wouldn't have known it was a steam train particularly. Husband got off to take some pictures and I stayed seated, good job as if we had both got off between journeys, we'd have never got back on. Felt it was a bit pricey for what it was...

Falmouth, United Kingdom
“surprised!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

To be honest, my mum was extremely keen on this visit and I wasn't so sure but went along with her because she wanted to go. We arrived there a little early and had a look around the shop, which was ok, but a little boring. We bought a cup of tea and sat to wait for the train.

When I sawe the steam rising above the trees around the corner I immediately got excited (the same as everyone else) everyone crowded around the tracks looking at the beautiful train coming in. We got on to a very comfortable cabin and sat to watch. We drove slowly to a platform to pick others up, we stayed the for 20 minutes where everyone got off to watch the front of the train to be changed, while that was happening there were workers around to answer any questions with extremely interesting anecdotes, everyone was a character. They were all so friendly and informative. After this we went to bodmin parkway station and again we could get out and watch. When we arrived back to the platform after an hour and a half or so we were very pleased with everything we have experienced there.
I would definitely go again.

Beckley, United Kingdom
“So dissapointed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

I booked this trip as part of a trip to Cornwall to celebrate our wedding anniversary. It was sold as dinner whilst chugging through the beautiful Cornish countryside on a steam train. This couldn't have been further from the truth and I feel conned and it actually spoilt my anniversary suprise to my husband.

The train smelt to start with, the staff were friendly but completely chaotic, forgetting drinks, running around like headless chickens. Old time music came on but then went off after a few seconds not to be turned on again, not sure what happened? It would have been nice and may have helped to create an atmosphere. What the actual trip consisted of was going up a short track very slowly, the view was of grass banks and peoples back gardens. We then stopped in a station for 20 minutes only to return back along the same track. We then sat for 1/2 an hout back at the staion we started at until it was almost dark. We then went up a slightly different track, very slowly and then stopped in another station for 20 minutes until it was so dark if there had been any views we wouldn't have seen them anyway. Most of the trip was spent staionary in a station. As for the food, to be honest we had no expectations as we thought it would be brought in, the food was edible which to be honest was all we expected. There is a quote on the publicity which says "Luxury brought to your seat". Sadly it was far from luxury. It would be great if they employed staff who dressed the part and helped create an experience, the whole train needs a good clean, the old time music is a must, get rid of the plastic flowers tied to the lamps and maybe improve on the menu, also the train does need to actually go somewhere scenic?? Really dissapointed and feel like it was a complete waste of time and money.