“Fantastic food” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Greenhead Hotel

Greenhead Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Brampton
Greenhead Hotel
You added Greenhead Hotel to your Saves list
Greenhead, Brampton CA8 7HB , England   |
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

We went there on spec after being told they did a decent meal. Nothing much to look at from the outside and car park a touch tricky to negotiate. Well worth the effort as once inside the atmosphere was truly buzzing. Not too noisy but full of real local chat. we had not booked and it was Saturday night but they found us a table in the corner and we sat down to look at the menu which was really good pub grub. I had a starter of black pudding and haggis with a spicy sauce and followed it with a steak and ale pie with vegetables. The starter was excellent and set me up for the main course which had real skirt steak in a lovely sauce and a suet pastry top. It was cut from a larger pie and was all cooked on the premises. One of the best pub meals I have had. My partner had the beer battered cod and chips which again was excellent. Neither of us could face a sweet dish as the portions were so large. We will go there again as we take our caravan to a site nearby on a regular basis.The beer was good also.What more can you ask? Staff are so pleasant and helpful.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I stayed one night whilst walking the Pennine Way. I was given a modern, tidy twin room with a sparkling clean shower ensuite. (I'm told there is also a room with an ensuite bath, if preferred.) The furnishings were all very modern, the room was spotlessly clean, and I had a very refreshing sleep before another long day of walking the following day. Sounds from the bar area did not penetrate up the stairs so all was quiet. Wifi worked in the bar area.

I found all of the staff working here, and the gentleman behind the bar in particular, were very pleasant. They were friendly and responsive, and I was pleased that they were happy to do an early breakfast for me (usual breakfast starts at 0800 but they agreed 0730 without any hesitation at all). I appreciated that they had good quality filter coffee brewed and available for me to help myself, and I was especially happy that I could make my own fresh toast from a variety of breads and a large toaster set out for this purpose. (Too often I've received cold, rock-hard toast at B&B's - it's much nicer to make my own, exactly as I like it!) The hot breakfast that was served, was tasty and plentiful. I would highly recommend the hotel as a stopover for Pennine Wayfarers. (Also note, I spoke to a few people staying at the hostel who worked out that if a cooked breakfast is factored in, there's not too much difference in price between staying at the hostel and staying at the hotel. So go on and spoil yourself - book this hotel!)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Buena Vista, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

A buddy and I stayed one night at the end of our last day's hike on Hadrian's Wall. We had booked ahead sight unseen, and were not disappointed. We arrived cold and soaked, and there was a wood fire buring cheerily in the fireplace. They immediatey showed us a dry room for our boots and outer gear, and gave us a key for our room. We had a large twin room, with enough space to spread our gear. It wasn't luxurious, but it was clean, dry, warm, spacious, and very comfortable. After a hot shower and change to dry clothes, we had a nice hot dinner by the fire, and met some very interesting and friendly locals. The evening was quite enjoyable. The staff were attentive in every way and made us feel welcome. The hotel is well maintained and I could recommend it to hikers or other travellers. You will enjoy the atmosphere, the food, and the accommodations. The hotel is not located in Brampton, but in Greenhead about 15 miles to the east, less than one mile south of the Hadrian Wall Path. We did not have a car, but there is ample parking aorund the hotel. A taxi to the Halt Whistle train station was about 5 miles, 10 minutes, and cost 8 pounds.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Wakefield, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

After a long days walk along Hadrians Wall footpath, and having been refreshed at the guest house, it was a pleasure to arrive at this friendly pub in the village. The service was excellent, and the food fresh, home cooked and delicious. The 4 of us all shared our starters, we had black pudding and haggis, sticky sausages with dipping sauce, fish cakes and Brie wedges with Cranberry sauce. My main course Irish Stew was very Tasty indeed, with lovely hunks of fresh crusty bread, the steak, fish and chips (fresh), and steak and ale pie, was also very well cooked and delicious. The boys said the beers were excellent too. I would definitely recommend this place for a meal.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

We came across this lovely old hotel by chance when we stopped for a meal. The atmosphere was very cosy and the owners and staff so welcoming that we decided to stay overnight. The hotel was fully booked but they run a walkers hostel and apartment across the road. After a hearty meal by the roaring fire we stayed in the hostel apartment which was excellent value and in the morning back in the hotel we had a delicious full cooked breakfast. An ideal position for walking, cycling or visiting the Roman museum, archaeological site and Hadrian's wall (or just breaking your journey and having a rest). One to remember.

Room Tip: as the hotel was fully booked I didn't see their rooms but the hostel apartment has two double a...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Wetherby
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Intended to rate this very good, but then could list no reasons why it should not be outstanding.
Lovely food, lovely beer, substantial portions at good value prices, warm friendly atmosphere with real fire, good service- to the point of making a phone call for a lift on our behalf becasue we had no phone signal. A typical pub menu with additional speicals, and a top banana and toffee sundae to share to finish.
Give this one a visit.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Lewes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Called in whilst staying at Stanegate cottage, food very good, good portion size and quality. The staff and locals were very friendly and gave information on the local area. The pub, the tea room opposite and the hostel are owned by the same people. They are the only watering holes on the old Roman road, west from Housegates fort - open for breakfast onwards - use them or loose them!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Greenhead Hotel? Share your experiences!