“Above and beyond” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Harrop Fold Farm

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Macclesfield
Harrop Fold Farm
You added Harrop Fold Farm to your Saves list
Rainow, Macclesfield SK10 5UU , England   |
Ranked #6 of 15 Macclesfield B&B and Inns
Warrington, United Kingdom
“Above and beyond”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

On a recent visit arranged for as a Christmas gift for my husband, Sue and her talented daughter could not have been more accommodating. As a result of a knee op I wasn't my usual mobile self. When I let Sue know she arranged for me to get into our ground level room at 11am when my husband attended a wonderful canapes course with Leah. Leah also thoughtfully invited me to join the course for lunch, which was fabulous. In the evening we joined Leah and 2 other couples for demo and dine, again with Leah as the culinary goddess. After fizz and nibbles we had an impossibly tasty 4 course dinner prepared and cooked in front of us all served with wine. Staggering the 10 yards to our room we enjoyed a cosy night's sleep. Refreshed we headed to the oak dining room for a tasty breakfast all cooked on Sue's aga. We will definitely be back and can't recommend it highly enough.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

Having just returned from my third visit to Harrop Fold Farm I felt it was tiem to write a review to share our experience there. I originally saw HFF on the channel 4 programme 3-in-a-bed and was drawn in my the comfortablke rooms and Leah's cupcakes. We have not been disappointed. It is a magical haven, tucked away in the hills of the Peak District but a comfortable 15minute taxi drive from Macclesfield station. This time we enjoyed making Christmas cupcakes with Leah, a delicious breakfast by Sue and an evening curled up by the fire. We are planning our 4th visit in the spring for a 'demo-and-dine' evening with Leah. The only negative, if I had to find one, is that it does get cold there in the winter and it is a 17th century farm building which is hard to heat. Take extra jumpers!

Room Tip: If you are in a group (there were 4 of us) go for the rooms with the living area. For couples the 4...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Falkirk, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

Brilliant comfortable accommodation, nice touches everywhere, very impressed with breakfast was lovely. I had an interview at lunchtime and they let me stay late even though they were going out. "Just shut the door behind you when you leave" - Thanks so much made all the difference. Stunning views great host.

Room Tip: All nice that I could see
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Knutsford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

I stayed overnight with my mum and sister as part of a Demo and Dine evening we did with Leah. The triple room we stayed in was so clean it was sparkling, warm, comfortable and cosy. The only slight changes I would make to the room is: a proper shower (this was just a shower head with the bath) and water in the room. Other than that it was lovely, the Molton Brown products in the bathroom are a nice touch, as is the fudge, wine and Cheshire apple juice! It feels more special than a B&B, a lot of time and effort clearly goes into Harrop Fold Farm and it shows....not many B&Bs would have Molton Brown, fluffy dressing gowns and slippers! Oh and how can I forget the view from the room?! What a spectacular view to wake up to!!

Sue (Stevenson) asks for your breakfast order so she can prepare for the morning - there is so much choice! We went for the traditional breakfast and it was wonderful....honestly, the BEST sausages I have ever tasted! And she is just a wonderful host...you are made to feel very much 'at home' and relaxed with her.

The Demo and Dine with Leah was out of this world, and honestly one of the best meals I have had in a long time. She is just exceptional and very inspiring! All in all we cannot wait to go back and have another stay at Harrop Fold Farm and another evening with Leah. I cannot recommend this place enough!

Room Tip: The triple room was excellent, but there is also a self catering cottage which could work for a larg...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

After flights, trains, tubes, a London bus and a taxi, I arrived at Harrop Fold Farm fairly travel jaded. Sue, the manager, was delightfully welcoming and settled me into my room with a pot of tea and plate of sweet treats. I filled the smooth deep bathtub and enjoyed soaking in isolation as the wind moaned and hail dashed against the window. When I eventually surfaced my fluffy towel was cosy warm on the rack.

I picked the Valley Views room both for the scenery (enjoyed from my bed, propped up on the generous selection of pillows) and the extra bed, as a friend was due to join me the next day. Despite wild weather, the spacious room felt snug and secure with its well sealed windows and thick stone walls. The central heating was adjustable and very effective.

Dinner was not on offer that evening, but Sue willingly made a light supper for me. It was entirely satisfying and I enjoyed a comfortable night in peace and solitude to recover from the frenetic day.

Breakfast was based on homemade and locally sourced products. The trifle was my favourite - completely scrummy with the most delectable honey stirred through. The Egg Benedict didn't set me on fire but the tasting platter including local sausages, bacon, egg and black pudding was fabulous. The idea of eating black pudding woke me in fright several times during the night, but I did not disgrace myself and ate it all up. The flavour was more herbal and texture bready than I'd expected - actually delicious and not at all disgusting.

A walking trail from Harrop Fold and along the creek was delightful and firm underfoot, though the short-cut home across paddocks of highland cattle and a bull somewhat alarming. We spotted a stoat-like creature - a suspect in the recent spate of hen-house murders.

The free wifi was limited by the stone walls to the dining area. I managed to pick it up in the communal lounge outside my room, so who knows...it could have made it? Mobile coverage was erratic - those thick walls again or the magical region? I did not give full marks for rooms, because I like in-room wifi, but otherwise I loved this place.

I had a morning free before my friend drove up from Heathrow. Thanks to Brian, the wonderful local private driver, I indulged in a quest to spot locations featured in Alan Garner's books. Brian even brought his own book with its map to consult. I have yet to complete the walks, so intend to return one day. Will definitely stay at Harrop Fold again.

Room Tip: Valley Views room spacious and had an extra bed. Check where wifi extends to if important to you.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

Just returned from a fabulous weekend at Harrop Fold Farm!

Our room was just FABULOUS. The double bed was the most comfortable bed i've ever slept in (imagine floating on a cloud) and the room was beautifully decorated. Little finishing touches in the room like slippers, fluffy dressing gowns and Molton Brown miniatures made the room just lovely. The views from the large window in the bedroom were stunning. Breakfast was made to order using meat from animals reared at the farm- VERY delicious indeed! We even had the pleasure of sampling some of Leah's triumphant culinary delights- simply divine.

The Stevenson family were so welcoming and friendly upon our arrival. and went out of their way to make us feel at home throughout our stay. Will be recommending this wonderful place to all friends and family and will be returning very soon hopefully for another beautiful Harrop Fold Farm experience.

Room Tip: All rooms lovely and peaceful. Book early if you want a room overlooking the rolling hills into Ches...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2011

Just returned from a lovely weekend at Harrop Fold Farm. The superb location of this 5-star B&B is only surpassed by the charming accommodation and the hospitality of the owners, Sue and David. We had a room with a four-poster bed and a spectacular view over the valley, and I don't think I've ever slept in softer sheets anywhere. Fresh fluffy towels were ready on our bed and soft white bathrobes hanging in the bathroom.

The service was warm and friendly, and Sue's home cooked breakfast is to die for! We received tea and coffee and home-made cakes on arrival, and were also able to buy a bottle of champagne to toast our success on finding this amazing place to stay!

Coming from the city, we couldn't believe how quiet and tranquil life is in this beautiful part of the Peak District, and we can't wait to go back and do it again!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Harrop Fold Farm? Share your experiences!