“Great service, food and atmosphere” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Great service, food and atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

Had a fab curry, bags of flavour. Staff very friendly and could have a laugh with them. Décor very nice and calm atmosphere. Would recommend to all. Worth a visit - I will be going back - soon!

Visited October 2013

Stafford, United Kingdom
“Sunday Feast!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

We'd spent a few hours in Macclesfield on a Sunday afternoon and had spotted The New Shalimar on our wanderings, and a staff member was sweeping the pavement outside the restaurant, indicating that the management cared about their immediate environment.

Sunday night is the 5 Course Sunday Feast offer at the New Shalimar. The price of £11.95 per head, was very attractive, so we perused the menu, noting it for future reference, as the place had only just opened and we weren't hungry at that point.

On our return an hour or so later, there were a few small family groups seated and plenty of choice of seats for us. The welcome by the staff was friendly and polite. On informing our waiter that we'd not had the Sunday Feast before, it was explained to us clearly and we had the run of the menu. What a choice! I always like to try something different to that which I can cook at home or use with jar curry sauces.

The Sardine Puree appealed to me and I asked the proprietor about it. Sounded good especially as it came with a small flat bread. As the offer meant we could have rice or a nan with our main courses, this saved much deliberation. When my starter came, I was surprised at the portion size and delighted with the taste - I could have eaten it again! The salad garnish for our starters was generous too.

My main course was a lamb dish that sounded very appealing from the description on the menu - Lamb Ampora - and it was delicious! I like curries that include warming spices and this one has herbs, ginger, mango, fennel seeds and garlic. The lamb was in small pieces of a varying consistency, rather than 'fall apart' chunks. I asked later what cut of lamb was used and the polite proprietor thought, then stated 'back strip, from the leg', which turned out to be 'back strap'. It wasn't known by the traditional butchers I asked about the cut last week, but they thought that it should be tender. However, I can't fault the quantity of food and the delicious flavour of the curry sauce.

My other half had a chicken dish - called Fiery Marrakesh, which was cooked with a dash of hot Marrakesh sauce, along with date puree, lemon juice and honey. It wasn't too hot in spices and was beautifully presented. Again, the chicken was inconsistent in size and shape.

To end our meal, which had started with the usual poppadums and relishes, there was a scoop of vanilla ice cream which we just about managed, and tea or coffee. We'd started the meal with tea and coffee, and were surprised and delighted to each receive a pot, rather than a single small cup of the drinks. My closing tea came in a pot, but the coffee was a solo cup this time.

In all, a tasty meal, served with fairly short gaps between courses. We'd certainly return, as the menu has so many unusual dishes in it.

The New Shalimar is nicely decorated and the huge bubble tanks are a good distraction for youngsters eating with their parents.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
“THE BEST INDIAN CUISINE IN MACCLESFIELD”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

For the Best Indian food, Service and ambience in Macclesfield, look no further than the Shalimar.
We are lucky enough in the town to have an abundance of excellent Indian restaurants, some would say too many for a small town, but the Shalimar shades it for all the above with a unique atmosphere that is ideal for romantic couples, families and special occassions.
If you are ever in Macclesfield, dont miss out on a true gastronomic experience at the town's top Indian..

• Visited April 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Cheshire,UK
“Average food for large groups,might be better otherwise”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I think a challenge for any restaurant is producing freshly cooked, quality food from an extensive menu to large groups of customers. In this respect the Shalimar doesn't do a great job.
Nothing wrong with the staff, decor, etc...just when you've got to serve 15 main courses at the same time then some will be left under the heat lamps too long and turn into curry "porridge".
We paid over £20 a head for a very average meal....a few pappadums, main course and a beer or two. This place is not cheap i would say, most mains being aroudn £10 a head.
I had a Balti "Exotique"..it was impossible to tell what the meat was indeed there should have been prawns in there too but i failed to find/discern one.
My friends tell me that normally this place is pretty good... but we were the only people in the place that night.
There are plenty of other curry houses around Macc where i have eaten better.

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Manchester
“fair”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

The curries in this restaurant are ok and the service is attentive ...but the thing that lets them down is the rice this iwas not very good when we went their..not very aromatic and it was glutinous prices reasonable for this type of restaurant

• Visited November 2012