“Well we are not amused. Waiting a life time for a couple of sandwiches. Come here to die because you will be dead by the time yo” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Amuse

Amuse
43, Chestergate, Macclesfield SK11 6DG, England
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #106 of 147 Restaurants in Macclesfield
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch
Description: We're a friendly independent faily run business. Our food is homemade, wholesome & 'ethical'. We make dishes to order and can tell you exactly what's in them. Wake up with our breakfasts like 'French toast with bacon' or a good old full English with local sausages and bacon. Drop in for coffee & homemade cakes like 'lemon drizzle' and 'rocky road'. Fill up at lunch or tea time with homemade soups, salads, sandwiches & wholesome hot dishes. We serve wine by the glass and bottle; locally brewed beer; milkshakes amde with Cheshire ice cream and smoothies made from real fruit.The cafe can be hired in the evening for private parties
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Was here consecutively on two days when quiet. My wife did not get a straw with her milkshake as staff could not find them. On the first day I had to cancel the order because we run out of time after 30min waiting. Second day food showed up after 45 min. Sandwiches were good! In our views service, organisation and staff is useless don't know how they survive.
Used to be my favourite sandwich bar in town but just can't afford that kind of service now - life is to short

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Julia M, Owner at Amuse, responded to this review, January 3, 2013
We really appreciate customers taking the time to review our coffee shop – we’ve responded to the reviewer directly. Best wishes Julia

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Very Rude Owner”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We happened to call in at Amuse and took a table outside. There was another couple also sitting outside who had a bit of a wobbly table. The male owner came outside and grumbled something about someone using his menus to prop the table up. He started to mess with the feet of the table knocking the couples coffee so it spilt. When the lady complained he was very rude to her and said his menus cost him a pound each. We were disgusted by his manner and felt so sorry for the couple. If he had bothered to set his tables up properly in the first instance then someone wouldn't have used one of his precious menus. Anyway, Mr Owner, because of your attitude we won't be coming in anymore. We spent about £9 twice a week. Thats £18 for say 30 weeks of the year which is £540. Or putting it another way 540 menus. We go elsewhere now.

• Visited August 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Julia M, Owner at Amuse, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Dear Fitter 12
I’m sorry you felt that aggrieved on behalf of the other customers – I wonder if you didn’t catch the end of the event? Although it was three months ago I remember it well. After I went back inside I thought that I’d probably been a bit grumpy so I took out some fresh drinks and apologised. The couple concerned declared themselves to be very happy with the apology and we even had a bit of a laugh that the reduction in their bill cost me far more than the menu.
As regards the table setting up - the pavement is uneven so it is a constant battle to keep the tables straight – one that I usually engage in with more good grace than on this occasion
We are always grateful when customers tell us about a problem so we can make it better at the time. In your case, I didn’t know there was a problem so unfortunately I could not do anything about it. I hope you feel able to consider returning. We have a got a fabulous range of new specials and meal deals and we’d genuinely love to see you back. Looking at your review, it is good to see that you have given credit for the food & value for money part of the review. I hope this can reassure you that we can also deliver in the other two areas.
Best wishes Andrew the “Grumpy” owner.
Stockport, United Kingdom
“Great Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

I have been a few times but only for coffee, this was the 1st time for food. It was very busy but got a table upstairs. I had the burger my friend had the spicy chicken panini and my daughter had the childrens baguette. There was a delay with the food but i was catching up with a friend so time was not an issue. When the food arrived you understood why the wait! The burger was homemade and very good. My only critisism is it needed more seasoning but that is just a personal pref! Staff very friendly and will definatly go back fir food again.

Julia M, Owner at Amuse, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Hi CarolineUK0 – thank you for taking the time to post a review I’m delighted you tried our food and you’re right, it is all home made to order. It’s lovely when customers appreciated the fruits of our labour {and even forgive us a few (hopefully minor) sins!}. Please do keep visiting us – I’m in the middle of putting together a new menu and v excited about some delicious new dishes… best wishes, Julia
London, United Kingdom
“Disapointed”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

Arrived in a group of 4 mid saturday morning. Only wanted 3 teas and a coffee. Sat upstairs which was almost empty and very nice setting. Ordered drinks downstairs and was told by the person that they had been told to manage the orders coming in as the kitchen was not coping. He took our order and 30 mins later the drinks had not come. We left and told them why we were leaving, no apolagy or further explanation was forthcoming.
Shame as the place was nicely decorated and the food and drinks we saw on other tables looked good.

Visited August 2012
Julia M, Owner at Amuse, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Thank you for your review 3Jim – we’re grateful as it has highlighted a problem and that you were gracious enough to comment on what was good as well as the problem you had.
Much as we don’t like getting bad reviews, yours has helped me to identify an issue in how a customer service guideline was being interpreted and more importantly, implemented. What you got was very bad service compounded by inexcusable rudeness and I’m really sorry. If you are back in Macclesfield, please do pop in and we’ll make sure you get some of the lovely food you saw. Best wishes, Julia
Macclesfield, United Kingdom
“I'm a regular!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2012

I love Amuse for the food and the staff. I visit at least once a week and have tried many things from the menu. The food is always of a high standard, especially the paninis (with a side order of chips of course!) Even with me and a friend being fussy when pregnant changing the order, adding ingredients to the original menu, the owner always accommodates us. I love the decor- it feels warm and inviting on a rainy day. However, i must reccommend the cakes. The rocky road is legendary!!! I love the way I am welcomed into the cafe everytime I go in, I feel a valued and appreciated customer. The manager always interacts with my small son, giving him treats and my new baby is cooed over. A lovely part of the community and somewhere that I will be frequenting for a long time. I have one issue: please double the size of the rocky road :-)

• Visited August 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Julia M, Owner at Amuse, responded to this review, August 11, 2012
What a lovely & heart warming review - we're delighted you enjoy coming to Amuse and grateful you took the time to write a review - Thank you! I'm going to try a new (additional) type of Rocky Road in the autumn - perhaps you'd like to be one of our taste the recipe customers... again , many thanks, Julia