“Average visit this time” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: British, Gastropub
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Manchester
“Average visit this time”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

We went last night and although I like the place, lately the staff have changed and it's becoming a mediocre pub with what feels like pub chain food. Don't get me wrong the food is good but not as individual and special as it used to be. The sticky toffee pudding had been a bit overdone. The waitress three times walked past our table without clearing it. You have two great bar staff, I don't know their names but they try very hard to help (you'll know who they are). I asked for Fat chips as they have disappeared off the menu as have the Jenga chips, they obligingly made us some fat chips and were very helpful. They had ran out of Stonefish Chardonnay and my wife had the last couple of glasses out of the bottle. It just felt not as good. I mentioned all my concerns when leaving so that you are aware. We will of course return but maybe look around at other places to walk to and try them.

Stockport, United Kingdom
“Good location but slow service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Visited in a small group on a Sunday evening. The countryside location is attractive and the refurbished interior is clean and smart.
Menu was predictable but reasonable value with a fixed price 2/3 course choice. Although there were only a few other diners, the service was slow. With food this can be excused by "cooked from fresh" but waiting at table for quite a few minutes for your first drinks order on a warm evening is disappointing.
Good choice of real ales, friendly (but slow) service, clean loos.

Wiltshire
“Typical Large Northern Inn”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Our trips 'up north' are suffused with large inns of the Windmill type. All have similar multiple rooms, similar musak and similar menus, although the Windmill's menu was more limited than most.

Food was certainly average, as per the overall rating. My 'ploughman's' main course was pretty anaemic and was served on a cracked wooden board (one never knows if these boards are properly clean or what might be hiding in the cracks!). Cheesy chips were fine. We had three different puddings, including a 'bomb' and a parfait and all tasted much the same - cold (I would guess that all were 'bought in'). Service was very good though.

There's plenty of garden and terrace space for those sunny Macclesfield days - 13th June and 4th August (sorry, old joke). Photo shows a motto on one of the false (I guess) beams in the bar.

England
“Disappointed - sent food back”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

My partner and I ate at the Windmill as there is not exactly a glut of competition in the surrounding area. As a non meat eater the menu was very limited anyway, so I decided to order from the Market Menu, which at £13.00 was supposedly good value for money for two courses. The sweet potato soup was really tasteless, it was like a vital ingredient was missing and this was sent back. No apology was given or any kind of recompense. I was disgusted that I was not offered some kind of complimentary dessert as an apology for the starter. Just £3.00 taken from the menu. The main was very average. We ordered drinks and they never arrived and we had to ask again. The place was not busy at all, so cant understand the problem. To be honest, I have heard a lot of nice things about the Windmill, but I found the menu very limited (even for a non meat eater) and the service and food average. Wouldn't go back.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
TheWindmill_11, Owner at The Windmill Inn, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Sorry to hear of your dissappointment following your visit to The Windmill on Wednesday. I was working that particular day & was surprised to hear you didnt enjoy the soup of the day as we had sold many portions of soup that day with customers remarking how nice it was. If it is an issue of personal taste that you didnt like the soup, am I then to recompense you for that, I am uncertain. The waitress did deduct £3 from your bill as you didnt like the soup which meant you paid £10 for a Tuna steak which I think is reasonable. As concerns the drinks arriving late is was stated that we had to change a barrel hence the delays for the drinks. The 'limited menu' as you state is so because we are a fresh food site that buys nothing frozen & everything is made fresh on site. I feel that the review you posted is unfair as the main issue was that you didnt like the soup & everything we did for you following that was not good enough.
Cheshire
“Not Up to Its Usual High Standard 12.5.13”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

We have been using the Windmill for a good few years now, and normally, the food is excellent. Sunday was obviously an off day! My daughter's chips had to be sent back, as they were dark brown and burnt. The replacements, which came quickly, were delicious, so why were burnt ones sent to us in the first place? Some of us had ordered roast ham, and some roast pork. Pork crackling and apple sauce were served with the roast ham, and none with the pork. This was a mistake, and was rectified when we pointed it out. We were served Yorkshire pudding with the roast pork. Unusual, and the Yorkshire pudding was tasteless. Also, the roast potatoes were tasteless. Not easy to make tasteless roast potatoes! The desserts when they came, were fabulous though, and the highlight of the meal. Sticky toffee pudding to die for!
Service was very good, with the waitress doing all she could to put the mistakes right. Was there someone new or inexperienced in the kitchen?
OK, so this was not a good visit. We will be back, as it is usually a great pub with good beers, lagers and great food. I'm sure that next time will be better!

• Visited May 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
TheWindmill_11, Owner at The Windmill Inn, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
We are sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations on this visit, I have spoken to the Chef to ensure that the issues you have raised will be resolved. I hope to see you again in the near future where we will exceed your expectations.