“All Front” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Hollin Hall Hotel

You added Hollin Hall Hotel to your Saves list
Hollin Hall Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jackson Lane | Kerridge, Macclesfield SK10 5BG, England   |
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Macclesfield
Swindon
“All Front”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2010

This is an imposing building from the front. Try and get a space in the top car park. If it snows you will have problems getting out the lower piece of waste land car park. I was greeted by smokers gathered outside the front door. The welcome at Reception which is located in a corridor opposite the stairs was a hint of what was to come. Twenty questions and look how busy I am, not that there was anyone else waiting.

Having received the very easy instructions to the room that it was 'upstairs'. I struggled up the main staircase. Having gone through a maze of doors and narrow but modern day stairs, you could be forgiven if you went in a facing cleaners room, as there is no helpful signage.

Having got to the upper landing, it is at this point you see a lift. Finding the room in what is a ugly built annex to the main building, I opened the door to find that it had not been cleaned or should I say made up. There is a picture of a room with a wall outside, this was the upper room. There was a smell of cigarette smoke. Below the room was a group of smokers at the rear who were from one of the function rooms. Looking in the bathroom, it was basic to say the least, dirty towels in the sink.

Attending reception to complain, the promise that the room would be cleaned soon as they had been busy was declined. We were then given the room opposite.

Having been to the previous room, this was only better because it was tidy. All the fittings were loose and shabby. The bed headboard had some sort of suede finish, ensuring that the finger and palm marks of previous guests were imprinted as a tribute to their visit. The TV was LCD, a very early one the picture did not fill the screen. There was no real channel choice.

The en suite comprised of fittings that would not have been out out of place in a hostel. The shower was the worst I had ever experienced anywhere. You would have been better off with a one holed watering can. The view from the window was better, enhanced by rubble and rubbish for good measure.

If the accommodation was anything to go by, I was not going to eat there.

Wi-fi was not available in what would be the main clump of rooms. It was acceptable in the lounge area off the main entrance.

There was a wedding taking place, beware these go on late and on this occasion it was loud. Swearing and shouting still taking place at 1.30am. The bed was fairly comfortable and the room quiet, but the quality of the main door to the room is poor and anyone outside or going into a room nearby can be heard.

Breakfast was a game of getting items from the buffet when it was replenished. Food quality was poor and warm. The containers were heated but the food was brought in small warm quantities and was gone as soon as it arrived. Getting served with tea or coffee was pot luck. There were staff who were moving about, but achieving little as regards the guests.

Reading the reviews, I believe there may be better rooms and some reviews are blinkered by attending weddings and other functions. No-one would want to spoil the big day attitude. In short this Hotel is nothing like their website. Lovely views from the front otherwise.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2010

Okay so I booked in when there was plenty of snow on the ground but.......................
The hotel is certainly in need of some TLC. Reception? is dark and not welcoming.
Room. To say the least was basic, very basic and the bathroom was appaling for a BW hotel.
Resturant was plesant but still needed decorating and the service only fair.
Had problems at checkout.
Having not slept well either this was the icing on the cake.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
walsall
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2009

After reading mixed reviews about Hollin Hall, I thought I would give it a go. When making my reservation, I made sure that I would be in a refurbished room. I must say the room was very nice, with a very big comfortable bed. There was a big flat screen TV on the wall with a settee to watch it on. The bathroom was very nice, with a small plasma TV over the bath. Unfortunately it is digital and doesn’t receive signal. My room was not cleaned after my first nights stay. Therefore no clean towels or toiletries replenished. My room was cleaned after my second nights stay after I complained, but not very well. On my third night the shower would only run cold, so I had to use the shower in another room. The other room was very shabby and tired.
One of the main reasons I booked Hollin Hall was for the free Wi-Fi throughout the hotel. It didn’t work on my first night and was very temperamental the other three.
The bar is very dark and the beer expensive. I didn’t eat in the restaurant, but did eat in the bar. The food is average with the normal kind of stuff IE scampi, burgers, pie etc. The bar staff were very friendly.
The best thing about this hotel is the breakfast. Freshly cooked and just how you like it.
Please feel free to contact me with any questions.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Birmingham
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2009

It's supposed to be undergoing improvements...

Can I suggest that they bomb the place and start again?

We came up for our sister-in -laws party, she enjoyed it but......

Reception was arrogant, didn't know how to deal with a disabled mother-in-law.
Only one set of towels for two people. Took an age to get more. The (big) tele only had one channel... so I re-tuned it! (I'll give that as a freebie).
Bar staff / Maitre'd not of this planet, took ages for him to understand that those people the other side of the counter wanted the drinks that were on his side of the counter! Were not offered the mulled wine, had to enquire as to 'What's that?, Oh it's free!'.
(Ollie was EXCELLENT!!)
Breakfast was foul. The restaurant manager(? Mr Snotty) insisted that we could not join the rest of our family by adding a setting, the bacon was cold, the 'fresh' oranges were fizzy (indicating that an aerobic contamination was taking hold). The sausages were cold / not cooked therfeore of dubious safety.
After we had checked out, we enquired as to the availability of coffee, Mr Snotty, sniffily informed my wife, in no uncertain terms, that they were preparing for lunch. (HINT: Suggest to customers that they contact reception or the bar and see if they can provide, wait for it, coffee. It's called customer service, yes I know that it's an alien concept, but people from big places called 'cities' occaisionally encounter good customer service.)

Further advice will be charged for......

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
cheshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2009

we booked hollin hall for my mothers 85th birthday party,all our family and friends were invited the majority of us booked rooms , our rooms on the ground floor were dirty smelly and in need of repair, no towels or soap etc , i had to ask for some , no one told us the function room was used as a short cut to rooms and all day while we were trying to decorate the room people wer treking through the function room wasnt vacumed it was dirty and unopened linen was strewn about the room no dance floor was put down until after 6 pm and our party was due to start at 7 pm.the buffet was for 100 people which we paid for in advance and when the food came it was very meager and when i queeried this with sue she assured me it would be replentished throughout the evening, this was not the case and we finished up a shortage of food i reconed we were only given enough food for 50 people , i asked for sue or wayne one of the managers to complain to only to be told they had gone home, the catering manager told me to see him in the morning (which didnt help feed the guests that night )the next morning when i asked to speak to him i was told he wasnt on duty (suprise suprise) they mislayed the birthday cake and when it was located half the guests had gone to bed, i could go on and on with my dissapointment at this hotel, but to conclude the manager wayne at a meeting well after the party told me we were only 20 portions short on the buffet i argued with him that it was more like 50 short and after 2 months i was finally given a refund , but only for 30 portions and so we have been ripped off by this hotel and one of the managers called nigel was very unhelpful and very rude to our party guests, would i recomend this hotel for a special party , in our experience NO, but i will say Sue was the only helpful person at the hotel as speaking to wayne who just tells you what you want to hear and then does nothing to help ,without sue i would still be waiting i think, they take your money much quicker than they refund it and so my advice is just pay a deposit and if your not satisfied let them whistle,to end my review i would just like to say Sue would make the best manager for the hotel as all the others belong in faulty towers , hotel its self is nice if it were clean and the setting is wonderful but if you want value for your mony dont go there especially when you book a buffet for 100 and they only cater for 50 its not good at all.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Manchester
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2009

We celebrated our wedding at Hollin Hall on October 30 2009. And, because of the attentiveness and professionalism of the wonderful staff at the hotel, it was the most amazing day ever.
All our guests (without exception) commented on how lovely the hotel is and how amazingly helpful the staff are.
The service we received was truly first class in every respect.
The food was incredible too - if I had a penny for every guest who commented on how lovely the wedding breakfast and evening buffet were I'd be a very rich man today.
Nothing was too much trouble for the hotel staff and all was done with a smile on their face. They made my wife and I feel like royalty and treated the guests like VIPs.
The guest rooms were all exceptionally clean and tastefully decorated and the bridal suite was incredibly beautiful. The hotel and grounds were also impressively maintained throughout.
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Hollin Hall to anyone wanting an intimate, friendly venue for a wedding or other function. The emphasis really is all about good quality and exceptional service - and all at incredibly reasonable prices.
We were delighted with every aspect of our stay.

• Stayed October 2009
Reykjavik
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2009

Good country hotel, sheeps grazing nearby and quiet location though not long way from manchester. Service is excellent and staff very friendly and happy to be of service. Breakfast quite good, a lot to choose from. Restaurant and bar with helpful staff and nice food. The hotel is in need of refurbishing especially the rooms they are quite run down but kept clean, also shower is not good. Other than that had excellent stay and would recommend it for other business people for meetings or overnight stays

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business

Been to Hollin Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!