“Convenient if attending a nearby event” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hollin Hall Hotel

You added Hollin Hall Hotel to your Saves list
Hollin Hall Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jackson Lane | Kerridge, Macclesfield SK10 5BG, England   |
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Macclesfield
London, England
“Convenient if attending a nearby event”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

I booked the hotel as it was the most convenient place to stay for an event in Bollington. I had read about the potholes (thank you) and was careful on my approach to the hotel. I wouldn't go out of my way to stay there again. If there's a wedding on (there were weddings on both days I stayed), the staff have little time for other guests, although they were perfectly polite if rushed off their feet. I had hoped to have a nice lie in but was woken by 8am on Sunday morning by very noisy housekeeping and the banging of many doors.
The full English breakfast looks nice but if you don't eat pork, you might be disappointed with the size of your breakfast.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
Barrow-on-Trent, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Just returned from a break staying at this hotel and had a lovely time. The hotel was clean and inviting , we had two rooms close together which we had requested both were lovely.
all staff were friendly from the reception area to the waitress at breakfast. Have no complaints at all! More than worth the money. Many Thanks.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Cheshire, England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Stopped here at the weekend for a family wedding! Wished I had booked a taxi home. The hotel drive way is appalling, full of pot holes, but we were optimistic when we pulled up outside as it's facade is very nice. The wedding ceremony itself was faultless, the wedding breakfast was very tasty, but that is all I can say in favour of this hotel. We checked into our room after the wedding service and were dismayed to say the least at the state of the accommodation. " just remember it's only 1 night" my husband said, so I gritted my teeth and went back to the wedding party. We did not want to appear as the fussy family members that pulled our face and complained. So reluctantly stayed quiet about the room. Upon closer observation when we came back to freshen up a few hours later, it became apparent that the room was a disgrace. The musty smell as you opened the door was the 1st thing that hit you!! The walls were mouldy, there were obvious filthy dirty marks on the wall paper, that was where it was still stuck to the walls, as in areas it had peeled away the room was so damp. We had a 4 poster bed in the room, "at least it's clean" my husband said, humph, I don't think so, the dust on top of it was disgusting, the curtains hanging
behind it were full of dust and cobwebs, which fell off onto the pillows when we moved in bed. View from the dirty disgusting windows was of a dirty flat roof and manky wall, I did want to take pictures of the view, but the windows were so steamed up, I couldn't. Carpets were filthy and in serious need of a carpet shampooer. Please if you are considering staying here, reconsider and save your money, it's dismal.

Room Tip: None, save your money
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Cheshire UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014

I have known and used this hotel for many years. It is beautifully situated. Unfortunately, in leaves much to be desired. I would recommend another hotel to visitors now, even a Premier Inn or Travel lodge.

Room Tip: I cannot give one.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Bradford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

I booked an overnight stay for Sunday 13th July thinking that the price included breakfast. I sat down to breakfast on the Monday morning only to be told that breakfast was not included in the room rate. I checked my paperwork and could find no mention of breakfast included or otherwise. So I paid for breakfast for two - £12.95 each. It was appalling! No sooner had you sat down to your starter and your cooked breakfast appeared! It was a nouveau cuisine breakfast not what I would call a belly buster! Overpriced indeed. For that kind of money you would expect to help yourself to as much as you wanted from a hot breakfast buffet! Not a hotel I will be visiting again, I can assure everyone! Very poor value for money. And as an aside watch out for the expensive bar if you still fancy a stay at this hotel. You'll certainly need your plastic!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't face onto a wall!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Wimborne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

We arrived after a long journey and found the countryside around the hotel to be lovely- very green and scenic. As there was a wedding in progress there was not much parking available but we did (luckily) find a space, under a tree. Wedding guests milling around, drinking and smoking around the front entrance made us feel as though we were intruding - perhaps when a wedding is taking place, other guests arriving could come in a different way? The manager on duty at reception did helpfully take us through the restaurant when we asked if there was another way out to the car park so that we could get our suitcase and come in- not disrupting the wedding photos!
As other people have commented the area behind the reception desk was absolutely filthy and there was no way that we could avoid seeing it. Looks totally unprofessional.
The entrance hall is very nice, with a grand staircase going up to the next floor.
But then you have to negotiate some fire doors which need a good wash down and repaint. Then there are some steps up and down the corridor. The staircase up to the next floor was metal and open tread and the carpet needed a clean on that too, as did the banisters and handrails. Not attractive at all.
So when we got to our room, number 56, we were wondering what we would find.
A very generous king size (2 singles zipped together) bed with lovely white bed linen. Unfortunately my partner is allergic to feathers and the duvet was a feather duvet. The manager tried his best to get a replacement but was unable to, although he was willing to contact hotels nearby. We asked for a cotton sheet- the weather was very warm, and it was wonderful!
Lots of positives:
-Plenty of tea and coffee
- a modern flat screen TV with an excellent picture ( but strangely no remote control!),
- an extremely comfortable bed
- a useful blind to pull down instead of having the curtains shut
-Iron and ironing board
-Hair dryer
-lots of hot water
-a nice heated towel rail
FREE wi-fi. Brilliant.
But there were some negatives, too, and perhaps the hotel can do something about them
-no chair
-a disgusting clogged up shower head
-mould on the shower curtain
-dirt behind the washbasin pedestal
-unsuitable window retainer. It was possible to open the window very wide- children or adults could fall out if they were not careful
- view of a wall with flaking and missing paint. Can't do anything about the wall being there, but tidy it up!

The food in the restaurant was really nice- well presented, and tasty, and not too much choice, meaning that it would all be freshly cooked. Not fast food, but good quality. Breakfast was also cooked to order and lovely and fresh. We were early risers and it was really pleasant - the staff were great, and nothing was too much trouble.
The lounges were very pleasant-with good seating and a lovely atmosphere, and one lounge was designated for hotel guests only when there was a wedding taking place, which is good, as it gives people not attending a wedding a peaceful haven.

Check in and check out were efficient and well handled.

Overall we had a really nice time at the wedding we attended, and although some improvements are necessary, our overall stay was very pleasant.

Room Tip: For quietness, when there are weddings on, Ask for a room at the back of the hotel. Duvets are fea...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Wellingborough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

We have just returned from two days in this hotel. Embarrased to say we actually arrived a day early by mistake but the manager could not have been more helpful or accommodating. Despite a wedding being held on both days and the staff being extremely busy, the customer service remained excellent throughout.
Weary from a long drive, we came down to the restaurant to food that can only be described as OUTSTANDING. Can honestly say the starters (We tried eachother's) were the best I've ever had and the mains were delicious too.
The rooms were relatively basic (although refurbishments are underfoot) although the bed was very comfortable, tea and coffee was plentiful and replaced on request with no problem. (I do like several cuppas in the morning before I can move.) The rest of the building was stunning with a beautiful ceiling in the orangery and ornate decoration throughout.
Peaceful, idylic surroundings and a relaxing atmosphere only added to a superb weekend.
Many thanks to all concerned.

Room Tip: During summer months, be prepared for the room to be overly warm and possibly bring a small fan with...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
graham a, Manager at Hollin Hall Hotel, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Thank you for your kind review following your recent stay at Hollin Hall Hotel. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and I hope I get the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hotel in the future.

Kind regards

graham Albon

Been to Hollin Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!