“Delicious Sunday Meal” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
“Delicious Sunday Meal”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

Have to agree with the comment about the temperature in the conservatory, was very chilly the heating was not turned on. Our very pleasant and helpful waitress Hannah tried to warm the room by stoking up the fire. The views are spectacular even on a miserable day, binoculars available for use. The table settings were clean although the general decor old fashioned, quirky.
We began with a tasty homemade pâté (lge portion) with a peach chutney,small side salad and lightly toasted home baked bread. Delicious.
Both opted for the organic pork with homemade ham and pork sausage, stuffing, apple sauce, well cooked vegetables and tasty good roast potatoes. The stuffing was not to my personal taste but acceptable. The pork very tender and flavoursome.
Accepting this would be our only meal of the day we were tempted by desserts. I opted for the apple crumble, good fruit and custard although personally would have liked more of and a crispier crumble. The sticky toffee pudding was fab, served with ice cream. Yum. Staggered out feeling very full but having enjoyed a delicious lunch made from quality produce.

Visited September 2013

macclesfield
“Do not go here!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

They not only "lie" about what they are going to serve you, but when they admit they forgot the main ingredient they hope that you leave without mentioning anything, and when you do, they get all aggressive...the food was pretty bad, the only thing worth coming here for is the view!

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Hertford, United Kingdom
“worth the trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Well we travelled up from Stevenage ,to a function in Manchester and stayed overnight near to the Gate, On walking in the landlady asked me if I still drank bitter and the odd Talisker chaser.A lovely meal was served to us,excellent Steak and as the final drop of the single malt inflamed my gills my Wife commented "200 miles each way and worth the trip" Cannot believe some of the negative reviews on this site

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Very average”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

I had a ride out to this place for Sunday lunch and was disappointed.

First impressions, nice country pub in Cheshire countryside with views over the plains. Fantastic.

Was seated for the meal in the downstairs conservatory area that over looks the countryside. The pub had not been open long and only had one other couple in.

The conservatory was freezing. If i didnt take my coat with me i couldnt have sat through the meal as it was that cold.

I noticed that the table cloths were dirty on our table and around where we sat with gravy stains etc.

I thought the service was very poor from the staff they had on. At times it seemed obvious that we had been forgotten about in an empty pub???

Food quality - fantastic. It saves the place. Nice quality and generous portions. Very over priced though. I thought £13 for a roast dinner was expensive personally.

Won't be returning again sadly and wouldnt recommend.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Bad roast potato's”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Four of us went for lunch on Sunday. Meat was very good but roast potato's like bullets. Good mix of veg. My husband ordered the smoke salmon with brown bread, came with thick chunk of bread
Instead of thinly slices of salmon they came cut in strips not the best looking plate I have every seen but tasted better than it looked. Service we on slow side hade to ask for plates to be moved 20 mins after we had finished. So did not stay for pudding. Not to sure if I would return. May leave for a while .

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere