“what a dissapointment” 1 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: African, Barbecue, Irish, Fusion
Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
Description: At Phezulu we are privileged to have the opportunity to create menus & recipes that showcase our own fusion of local taste & preference with traditional & modern South African flavours. With our core emphasis on Braaing (barbecueing) all our meats we strive to produce exciting flavoursome dishes that appeal to both South Africans & locals alike. A blend of carefully selected authentic South African ingredients with local fresh produce allows us to produce unique dishes that are full of character & flavour. Phezulu is located in the heart of Bangor in a prestigious landmark building above The Red Berry Coffee Company. Once you step inside Phezulu the sights and sounds will make you feel like you have been transported to the heart of Africa. At Phezulu we strive to give you an all round South African experience offering you an insight into authentic cuisine and even a selection of exotic meats such as Ostrich, Springbok, Crocodile & Zebra. For those of who prefer to play it safe we offer a variety of dishes that are sure to please - including our tasty Peri Peri chicken and our flavoursome seafood chowder.
Bangor, United Kingdom
“what a dissapointment”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

was talked into trying it again. sorry but still poor imitation of south african food.
service slow and choice poor, I like to travel and spend quite a lot of time in capetown and the south coast.
I won't be back twice was more than enough

Visited September 2013
redberrycoffee, Owner at Phezulu - South African Grill Bistro, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Is this 100% genuine?????

I have contacted you on a number of occasions to clarify actual details of your visit, i.e time, date and the food you ordered - sadly I have received no response.

You have stated in you review that you visited Phezulu in September 2013 - I would like to point out that Phezulu was not open at all in September 2013. I fact it was not open the months either side of that as well!

So perhaps you could explain if and when exactly you dined with us and the items you ordered off our menu?

We do appreciate genuine feedback from actual customers so please do email us back info@phezulu.co.uk

Co. Antrim
“Keep going back”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Phezulu is a lovely little spot which doesn't seem to be ever packed out and believe me, it should!
Food is always fresh and varied and the speciality meats are really worth a try. Always a different side to experience and the menu does get changed so that I have something new to try.
BYOB is also good for a cheaper night.
The atmosphere and helpfulness of the staff are also a real plus.

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Newtownards, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
“PHEZULU”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

We had a meal as a family on around 28th july, We had to pre-book our meals and i was a bit worried but all I can say everything was unbelieveable. Service was brilliant, the meal was excellent, steaks cooked to perfection cant wait to go again at the end of Sept for my husbands birthday. I will be there on Thursday night with my friend. Many thanks FREDA BELL

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Lovely experience in Phezulu!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

We went to Phezulu because we had the Living social voucher. I went with my boyfriend who is from South Africa so we were looking forward to it! We both really enjoyed our meal.. the nacho's starter was lovely as were the potato skins. I chose to have a curry for my main, I normally wouldn't get a curry at a restaurant but fancied a change - it was really nice! The restaurant itself looks lovely, very cosy and it pulls off the South African theme well! The background music was also very good. We experienced really good service from a young guy..very friendly!! We will definitely be going back!

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Bangor
“Dinner with my uncle from Joburg”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

As my uncle and his SA girlfriend were in town for a few days we wanted to take them somewhere authentically south African. We were all very impressed as the menu was well presented and varied however steaks were the common choice. Michelle went for a fish stew which she said was superb and my mug went for fish also which she really enjoyed. We had mixed starters and nachos to start which were both very good then the rest of us had the Boeres steak which was either a ribeye or a sirloin steak with a Boerewors sausage on top. It added a bit of spice to the steak and it came with a tasty gravy. I also went for a creamy peppercorn sauce which was fantastic.
The Food was very good as was the service. It is BYO restaurant so it worked out at around £20 a head which was perfect value. The food was a bit slow in coming but if you are with friends or family it gives you time to enjoy the atmosphere and the surroundings. I wouldn't recommend coming here with young kids as theist isn't really that kind of place and think Makhula it's much better for younger ones.

• Visited August 2012