“Dreadful Sunday lunch” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Penhelig Arms

You added Penhelig Arms to your Saves list
Penhelig Arms
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Aberdyfi (Aberdovey), Snowdonia National Park LL35 0LT, Wales   |
Llanfyllin, United Kingdom
“Dreadful Sunday lunch”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

You would think that Sunday lunch would be reasonably easy to get right, but not here. The salmon and crab pate to start was watery and tasteless and the roast welsh pork with crackling was dried out and had no crackling! The roast potatoes tasted as if they had been cooked last week and reheated and when we asked where the crackling was, we were told "it was coming" and it never materialised! It was very understaffed and the staff looked very harassed. It wasn't a cheap lunch and it was no where near value for money. Needless to say, we didn't stop for dessert!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Dundee, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2014

Although a long drive, I would do it again & again!! Can't fault!!, wish had booked longer. Will return!!!
Staff and facilities, I can't fault (special thanks to steve!!, I think he was the manager. He seemed to be everwhere to help.).
We stayed in the upper seperate facility, with free parking, walk in shower, and great facilities.

P.S. The walks are fantastic, so to the locals.

Room Tip: book up hill accommodation with view and quietness.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

We stayed for 2 nights last weekend and the only downside was that we hadn't booked for longer. We had a fabulous stay with great food (breakfast was exceptional) and the manager and staff were so welcoming and helpful even bringing our afternoon tea up to the top terrace so that we could enjoy the view and the fabulous sunshine that we were lucky enough to have for the duration of our stay. We wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Penhelig and hope to go back soon.

p.s. thank you for the directions, the mountain road to llanidloes was breathtaking.

Aberystwyth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2014

I have been coming to the Penhelig for a number of years and I have to say my recent stay there was a very welcome surprise. The Penhelig, before it was taken over by Brains, was renowned for excellent service and food, unfortunately since the chain took it over it has seen a drop in its previously high standards. So when I booked in for a one night stay with dinner bed and breakfast in the Bodehelig suite I envisaged we would have the so-so experience that I had encountered since the chain took over. However, it soon became apparent that there is a new manager running the Pen and it certainly shows. The food is now exceptional again and the Manager and his staff are extremely helpful, it has definitely got it's Mojo back. If you visited in the past few years and, like me, been slightly underwhelmed I recommend you take a visit now, it truly is back where it belongs as one of Mid Wales' most romantic and hospitable hotels. Superb.

Room Tip: The Bodhelig Suites with their sea views are very hard to beat.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
leek
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2014

We stayed at this hotel and loved every minute, it is a little gem of a place. We were in the bodhelig suite which is set back from the hotel and they accept dogs which is a bonus. The suite is stunning and very clean with a large bed, tv, cd and comfy chairs.there is a separate large bathroom with a front south facing balcony. The menu both evening and morning had no restrictions even though we had booked through travel zoo and we must say what a lovely meal we had. The staff are friendly and work very hard. This really is a superb place to stay in an absolutely idyllic location. We'll done to the current proprietors and all the best for the future.

Room Tip: Just simple book the bodhelig you will not be dissapointed
scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2014

Stayed for 2nites march2014 in room16 in the 4unit house.perfect room.cosy.spacious.great sea view.excellent location.only fault the room had was that u can hear conversations from flat above and also every footstep taken along with the squeaky floor which meant broken sleep everytime movement from above.

• Stayed March 2014
Chelmsford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2014

I stayed at the Penhelig Arms for one night on a business trip. The room was small, but very comfortable, with a great view over the Estuary. All the staff I met were very kind and helpful, particular, when I telephoned after my stay, when I suspected that I had left something in the room. I received great service over this matter, and although the item was not at the hotel, they could not have done more to help me.
Breakfast was great, freshly cooked, with a fabulous selection to suit all tastes.
I dont often visit this part of the UK, but would recommend the hotel, and would stay here again if I was in the area.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business

Been to Penhelig Arms? Share your experiences!