“Brains what brains” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Penhelig Arms

You added Penhelig Arms to your Saves list
Penhelig Arms
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Aberdyfi (Aberdovey), Snowdonia National Park LL35 0LT, Wales   |
Telford, United Kingdom
“Brains what brains”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

Went for a pint at pen which we used to very much frequent but were very disappointed. I had to wait for around 10 mins to even be noticed at the bar, it seemed that stacking glasses was a far more important duty even though the bar was manned by two people. The managerial looking person was uncommunicative to everyone in the bar and looked very untidy. When I had been eventually served I received a very cloudy and expensive pint of rev James which tasted awful. When the pint had been exchanged I went in search of a table I picked the one by the fire which considering the weather conditions would have been better if it it was lit. After sipping my pint I noticed the abundance of cobwebs and flakey plaster and decaying food on the floor this was not the experience I had in mind when I arrived on cold and wintery Easter Saturday. With this in mind I thought that it was in my best interests to leave but before leaving I used the gents toilet which like coming In for a pint was a big mistake, the damp was oozing through the walls the sinks and toilets were in a dire state of disrepair. After this experience I feel that I will not be visiting again there are far better places to go that are close by and this would be my recommendation to anyone try somewhere else. Brains really need to send there head office to inspect there pubs as from what I have seen from many of there pubs they tend to all be in need of TLC but they were not as bad as the pen.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

Tables dirty, floor dirty and cobwebs everywhere come on brains spend some money. This was an experience not to be repeated. Staff where awful and did not want to serve. Cold and uninviting no fire. Chap that seemed to be manager, did not want to deal with customers, Over priced beer. I think only busy because the best of a bad lot poor aberdovey.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Alcester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We last stayed here about 10 years ago - the place was very popular back then and you had to book to get a table in the restaurant. Nowadays things are less busy, but I don't think this is a reflection of the Hotel itself, possibly less disposable income has reduced custom?

The Hotel itself then; is still quaint and there were a few guests when we arrived. We stayed in room 3 which is very spacious and a had a sea view and french windows. The bed is very firm and the bedding is good. The large en suite has thick towels, luxury liquid soap and lots of piping hot water at any time of the day. All the fixtures and fittings in the room are in very good condition and there is an excellent large Sony flat screen TV with freeview.

We ate in the restaurant on both nights of our stay - the food is very good indeed.

We ate breakfast on both days and there is an excellent choice and it is all very nicely cooked.

There is a car park right opposite and so we could keep an eye on the car - not that you need to, just a bonus feature of the hotel.

Definitely worth staying here - the view, the food, nice rooms and it's excellent value for money.

A few little details here and there would make it 5 stars.

Room Tip: Sea view rooms are a must!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

Stayed here with friends and generally had a good experience. Most of us were booked into the suites above the main building. These rooms are very spacious and well designed, with good views, though not cheap! There were chairs, with cushions, for sitting outside, dressing areas and bathrooms with a separate large shower and bath.
On arrival most of us had to spend some time actually finding anyone to give us our room keys - seems the booking office is little more than a small cupboard and staff don't seem to be around generally!
Eventually we found someone, who seemed rather disorganised, but were given our key and told how to get to the rooms, up a hill behind the main building. On arrival we saw 2 of our friends on ther balcony and we dropped our bags and joined them in their room. Shortly afterwards 2 more friends arrived and we waved at them as they came in to the building. They then came up to say that there were things in 'their' room! Turned out it was our stuff we had just put down there quickly. They had been given the key to the same room as us! We had left a new - and expensive - camera there and 2 iPads. Had these not been our friends, there was obviously the potential for someone to just walk off with our possessions!
The matter was sorted and, although the other couple were not given the room they had initially booked - to be fair, they were upgraded at the hotel's expense.
Later I had a bath, but the water was not hot enough. This happened the following morning, too.
However food for dinner was good and reasonably priced. Again, the service wasn't good enough though. This was exacerbated by our ordering 2 different bottles of wine - at the cheaper end of their wine menu. We were told they were both 'off the menu'! Consequently they tried to sell us more expensive wines. A practice I detest! They knocked £2 off the bill eventually when we said how unhappy we were.
Breakfast was ok. There were no bowls left on the buffet table and my partner had to ask 3 times for one. Our poached eggs had hard yolks and a friend's smoked haddock was over cooked, but generally ok, as I say.
We had a pleasant break, and I can't comment on the rooms in the main building (although I did overhear someone complaining about their shower being broken).
I think we would say that most of the issues would be related to management/service. A shame as this is something so easily sorted!

Room Tip: I think the suites are a better 'bet' than rooms if you can afford their prices!
Earlswood, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Booked a double room and was disapointed how small it was but it was clean and tidy. Dog friendley and booked a table in the bar as dogs allowed in there. Had fish and chips which was very good and the bar staff were very friendley and pleasant. Stayed two nights and had a great time- guess it was good value so would go back- staff very good and breakfast was very nice. Perhaps more variety on the bar menu but was March so guess they have more local produce and fish in the summer

Room Tip: Ask for sea view
Telford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

We stayed in the hotel for 2 nights DBB as golfers, usually a couple of times a year, and things are better than perhaps twelve months ago. We weren't looking forward to it really as we had eaten in the restaurant the week before and despite the food being nice, the service was uninspiring if one was being kind. The breakfast was good, the evening meal very good, the available wines were not quite what we wanted but were told the wine list was being changed, why these things can't overlap I don't know. The service was good at both meals, but the bar is not like it used to be, buzzing and busy, it's a lot quieter . The bedrooms are reasonably sized and the beds comfy, but as in lots of hotels attention to detail is needed. Who designs hotel bathrooms? The towel rail in the bathroom is large enough to heat the whole establishment, and cannot be turned off, and is positioned so that when sat on the loo, it requires a towel on your right leg to prevent 3rd degree burns. Does nobody test drive the rooms they build.The shower is excellent despite being part of the bath, one of the best I've used for a long time. The residents lounge really does need some money spent on it, and could do with some more seating. But on the whole we had a good stay and will certainly return. The hotel is moving in the right direction again.

Much Wenlock, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Having been going to the Penhelig for overalmost 40 years, since I was 8, with my parents, I have a very soft spot for this place. Me and husband decided on a spur of the minute 1 night stay last week end. I had fond memories of it as THE place to stay in Aberdovey, and one of the first real boutique style hotels. Sadly, I fear the place has lost its way a little. The room we had was very spacious, with a grand sea view and good quality bed clothes. But the bathroom was quite tired looking, the seal on the bath was tatty and the room needed updating. The bed as 2 singles pushed togther meant one of us kept slipping into the gap! Quite uncomfortable. The manager was dashing about everywhere working his socks off, but the other staff seemed the to lack direction and werne't always terribly professional particularly at breakfast which was very busy. The night we arrived, Saturday, the restaurant was full, and we'd booked a table in the bar for 8.45 - i'd recalled it being the cosy hangout for the locals to avoid the tourists in. Not that theres that many tourists in mid February! But the bar was almost deserted, the fire wasn't lit, and the black board just had 2 items scrawled on it, in a very untidy way. Just not welcoming enough. We were told we'd have to order within 5-10 mins as the kitchen would be shutting. The food was perfectly acceptable, although not special, and it was very reasonably priced, as was the wine. The chips were good, but the bread and olives to start were not well presented - very thin slices of ordinary bread and more oil than olives.

Room Tip: Definitley go for a sea view evn if it means paying extra
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Penhelig Arms? Share your experiences!