“Surly service, bland food” 2 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Late Night
Description: Near to the Dovey Inn in Wales, Postcode LL35 0EH. They do Indian Cuisine.
London, United Kingdom
“Surly service, bland food”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

This is the third time we've tried this place over the last couple of years, hoping that it will magically improve, and it is the last. Every time the service is surly and resentful, which would be enough to put me off usually, but I do love Indian food.

We ate in on one occasion and took food away on the other two, and on all occasions we were treated as though we were an inconvenience. Last time I was there, in the winter, the one waiter in attendance had a laptop out on a table in the otherwise empty restaurant, and pulled himself away from it with considerable reluctance to take my take-away order. My pleasantries were met with unsmiling brevity, and whilst me food was being prepared he went back to playing computer games.

The food, although perfectly harmless, is very bland and unexciting, If you like spice, there's very little of it.

Not worth a revisit unless your tastes are for very mild dishes and you don't mind being treated like a pariah by the waiters. A shame. It is in a good location, the building has potential, and it could be so good.

Visited January 2013

Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
“Pretty good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Popped in here after a few pints as you do. Only us and another group of four in there on a Sunday evening. Was not expecting much but the food was not bad. Would eat in there again.

• Visited June 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Warrington, United Kingdom
“Ok....it was ok.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

As a family of four we visited the Bay of Bengal in June. Our food was ok. We were the only diners in the restaurant but we were kept company by a number of very persistent flies which pretty much ruined the experience for us.

My starter was the aloo chat which was really very good indeed. After that I went for a vegetable korma which was ok but rather disappointing. I would guess that the vegetables used were tinned vegetables, not fresh which makes the dish all rather soft and bland.

Our children both ordered items from the childrens menu which was possibly the most expensive children's menu I have seen!

Visited June 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Waste of time if you dont carry cash”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

Myself and partner were craving an Indian, and from the reviews here we made our choice at the Bay of Bengal.

I opted for a take away and what felt like ages of queing to even order, the waiter tells me they do not accept card. I was shocked, I told him it is 2013, chip and pin has been around more than 10 years - you accept cash AND CHEQUE but NOT card?!

I slammed the door on the way out.

The nearest cash point is in budgens round the corner and you pay to use it which isnt a problem, but the shop closes very early, around 6pm and there are no other cashpoints in Aberdovey. I know I will get people saying to me 'well why dont you carry cash'? If I do, I am liable to spend it, as do most people I know. The fact is, i cannot believe that they accept cheque - who on earth carries a cheque book round anymore?!

They need to sort their game out if they are going to make a better profit, and may I just add for the final part - their prices are significantly more expensive than any other curry houses of the same calibre in LONDON. Just because it's Aberdovey and the majority of people who visit there have a bit of money, but that does not mean we all earn middle class salaries!

We went to the Bay of Bengal in Tywyn afterward - decent food and a decent price (excuse the dodgy decor) - higher rated taste wise than expected - I highly recommend.

• Visited May 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
Yorkshire, United Kingdom
“Plenty of room for improvement”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

The only Indian type restaurant in Aberdovey unfortunately. The food tasted OK overall but the quality, especially the lamb, was poor.

• Visited May 2013