“Shropshire Splendour” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Hertfordshire
“Shropshire Splendour”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

This is a really pretty hotel and we got a good deal so I think it was good value for money. I prefer when there is an electronic key card and a fridge in the room but otherwise top notch stuff. It is full of brummies though.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
General M, General Manager at Mercure Telford Madeley Court Hotel, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review the hotel. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay.
General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (181)
  • Polish first
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

I booked here on a friend's recommendation and obtained a very good price by booking 2 months in advance. The old buildings and the gardens are just spectacular and well worth a wander to soak up the history. My friend and I stayed for 3 nights and enjoyed the restaurant food on 2 of those nights as it was delicious.

Our room (number 20) was on the ground floor as requested but we found that the bedside lights were not working and as there was no main room light, only lights either side of the mirror on the opposite wall, we informed the receptionist who called a staff member to check the lights out. He came shortly after and, although replacing the bulb, could not fix the problem. The next morning when the Maintenance man came to check out the lights, he flicked a switch just inside the door and the bedside lights came on. Unbeknown to us, there was a "master" switch for those lights. The other problem I had on our first night was not being able to get cold water in the shower - it got too hot. The next morning the Maintenance man showed me how the taps operated - the top tap was to turn on the water and adjust the pressure and the bottom tap was to adjust the temperature!! Simple if you live in the UK but the plumbing is different in Australia and I had not come across this before. My life would have been a lot easier if there had been a small sign/instructions or the receptionists had been able to inform me of the master switch and how the taps worked when I told them (in detail) what the problems were.

Don't let this put you off staying here - it really is special.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Many thanks for your review and for your kind comments. I am sorry that your stay was not hassle free, yet I am pleased that my team was responsive to this. I am very grateful for your recommendation and for your overall rating of Madeley Court and I do hope that we shall be welcoming you back.
Edinburgh, Scotland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

I enjoyed my one night stop here; so different from the many bland modern hotels out there. The listed building is full of history, character and antique furniture. I had a single room in the gables - small, but clean and comfortable and accessed via a beautiful old timber winding staircase. The staff were welcoming and helpful. We had an enjoyable evening meal in what must have been a grand reception room in bygone days, with its huge impressive fireplace. My only suggestion to the management is to consider some improvement to the garden area beside the lake at the back of the building. This has the potential to be such a beautiful outdoor spot.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Many thanks for your review and particularly the great photos of Madeley Court that you have kindly shared. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your one night with us and that my team were welcoming and helpful . I have noted your observations regarding the lake side patio and this is a project that we shall be working on. I do hope that we shall be seeing you again soon.
Redhill, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

A three night all inclusive stay, if I had to pay for evening meals would still have given same rating. What the meals lacked in variety was far exceeded by the quality !! Staff looked and acted as if they were happy to be there making us feel welcomed. Would happily return ......

Room Tip: Stayed in the modem extension very quite good size No 22
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Madeley Court Hotel and I am delighted that we looked after you so well. We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.
Southampton UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

I needed to go to a meeting nearby and someone in the office booked me in here. I have always had decent stays at Mercures (particularly the one in central Chartres) and so kind of knew what to expect. However this one is a bit different, not a modern monolith but a charming old country house converted into a hotel. Lovely dining room which I expect was the banqueting hall, nice steak with good sauce and excellent service (Rachel is particularly chirpy).

There is a bar with a terrace which overlooks the lake, shame they can't cut the trees down a bit to give a better view.

My only gripes are a) breakfast is a tad expensive at £14.95 but I did get a very good room rate so I'll let them off that, but the real crime and hence why I have removed a star, is that they have a magnificent Broadwood Grand Piano that is magnificently out of tune - scandalous!!! Get it tuned now!

Would definitely stay here again if I am in the area, highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your review and I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us at Madeley Court. It is good to hear that you were well looked after in The Priory Restaurant and it is very kind of you to make particular mention of Rachel. I have noted your comments on breakfast pricing and the patio, also. I can confirm as well that we are looking into the piano being re-tuned as, I do agree with you, it would be a real asset to the hotel.
Mansfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Having stayed at this hotel three years ago, I was very much looking forward to our return. Since our last visit, the hotel has been taken over by the Accor group, who have changed little of the fabric of the hotel, thankfully, and made small changes to its day-to-day operation which have improved the service, which was already very good. The room was spacious, comfortable and clean. The dining room is beautiful, and only surpassed by the standard of the service and the excellent cuisine. A warm welcome is offered on arrival and maintained throughout the duration of the stay. I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for your review and I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. I am grateful for your praise, particularly on the service offered by my team and your recommendation is genuinely appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back to Madeley Court.
General Manager.

Been to Mercure Telford Madeley Court Hotel? Share your experiences!