“Unexpected” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations
Morecambe, United Kingdom
“Unexpected”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

We called in for a quick tea thinking it would be average, in fact it was very good food enjoyed it, service was good.

• Visited July 2014
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Copenhagen
“We do like to be beside the seaside”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

Felt like a breath of sea air, so friend and self set off for Morecambe on a truly super day. It really was the "million pound view" across to the South Lakeland fells - everything pin sharp - worth the trip just for that. But to the restaurant. It's a lovely venue, and has kept a lot of the old station fittings (remember when it was one!) Chose the two for a tenner menu and had fish and chips. Large portions of fish, crispy batter, good and plentiful chips, choice of mushy or garden peas, tartare sauce etc. All perfectly acceptable pub grub and no skimping on the portions.. Service a bit slow, to be sure, but we were on a day out,so time was not of the essence. Left knowing we wouldn't have to cook till the following day. Was well patronised by families with hungry kids, so that said something about it. It understands its market.

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
scotland
“All day breakfast - fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

Just in Morecambe on my own seeing it for the first time - had considered having a meal at the Midland Hotel across the road - purely by chance I walked into the Station just to see what it was - realised then it was a pub also serving meals - picked up a menu and instantly decided to go for the All day Breakfast - the best meal I've had in ages - everything freshly cooked - gentleman ( very pleasant ) who took my order also brought meal to my table within 10 minutes - well done.

Visited June 2014
“i prefer visiting the dentist!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

about a month ago me my partner and little boy went here for food and had planned a cinema visit afterwards so we went before 5 0 clock. we ordered food and a starter . the starter came about 40 mins later...how can a stack of onion rings take 40 minutes? then we asked how long for main meal..another 20 mins...it was quiet when we ordered so how can it take an hour overall..the toilets in the mens were full of pooh and really dirty. the table felt like had glue on it and the picture on the wall next to us had chewing gum stuck to it. we took our little one to the kids play area attatched to the pub today. there was nobody on duty there and anybody could have walked in off the street into an area where kids are playing...against better judgement ordered a snack..onion rings and chips..40 ..50 mins later we got it..im not a snob but ive got standards..this place is a joke..typical of lots of places ..minimal staff underpaid overworked and unmotivated.

• Visited June 2014
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
“Mostly OK father's day lunch but let down by 40 minutes wait for puds”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

Some general views about the area: the restaurant is at the end of a large car park and the outside area is in need of a clean and coat of paint.

The bar area is lovely and we were quickly taken to our table. It was a quiet area, maybe too quiet. We made our orders and were served our starters quickly. The kids liked the corn dogs (not to my taste) and we "fought" over the onion rings (which were not very oniony).

The main courses were OK. I had the smaller American combos with fried chicken (very different to KFC, chicken is breaded and quite tasty), a nice piece of gammon, chips, yet more onion rings and nice mushrooms. My wife went for the all day breakfast. One daughter went for a square burger and the other had scampi. Food was the sort of food you would expect from a pub chain.

The worse thing about our visit is that although the bar staff were very nice, we waited for 40 minutes for our puddings. Maybe a good thing as we were very full but still. I had a lemon meringue sundae which was OK but looked more lemony than it tasted. My wife had a nice cheesecake and the kids shared a cookie dough pizza that they demolished.

My wife went to the bar to enquire why we had waited for so long and as an apology, we got a free round of drinks.

Contrarily to some reviews, while the place could do with an overall, we did not find it filthy (female loos were OK I am told, I did not use the bathroom myself).

Although the cost of the meal was perfectly acceptable, the restaurant has a lot of competition nearby and some measures are needed to ensure it carries on. I was surprised not to see a full venue on father's day.

• Visited June 2014