“very poor service” 2 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
Heysham, United Kingdom
“very poor service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

This cafe looks very attractive, but oh dear, what a poor place to eat. In a way it shows what's wrong with Morecambe and a lot of faded towns, no idea of customer service. we came in and after nearly 10 minutes someone took our order., simple sandwiches with a side order of chips. Drinks came quickly, but then nothing. After over half an hour we chased the order, still nothing, chased it again, still nothing. Lunchtime was up and we needed to go a full 3/4 hour later. When we tried to pay the bill just for the drinks, the young lad serving told us the order was ready & we couldn't just have the drinks! When I asked to speak with a supervisor I was told they were too busy cooking! Too busy to see a customer!!! One of our party was from elsewhere & I'm afraid it left a very poor impression of the town. Definatley won't go again

• Visited December 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

nottingham
“Lovely Restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

We found this 100 year old restaurant just off the sea front the staff were very welcoming and the fish and chips we had were excellent ,give it a try if your in morecambe.

• Visited August 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Crewe, United Kingdom
“A complete surprise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012 via mobile

After struggling to find somewhere decent to eat gave the grove a chance . Decided to give the grove a chance and we were pleasantly surPrised. Polite staff , homemade food fairly good value far better than the overrated palatine just round the corner .

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“The Death of a Seaside Town”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012

A dramatic title I know, but places like Morecambe are dying a death due to the simple fact that people aren't doing seaside holidays anymore. We popped into the Grove one evening on a stopover and the menu seemed classically British. The inside was decorated like I imagine a nationalistic granny would live, complete with Jubilee bunting and jelly moulds on the wall! The four of us went for roast dinners: two beef and one pork. All were a good size, a lot of meat covered in gravy along with a choice of vegetables and roast potatoes. Sadly the roast potatoes were clearly frozen, they were as solid as a rock and I suspect the veg was also from a freezer bag. On a positive note, the meat was delicious, tender and flavoursome. Nice gravy too which added to the overall experience. The place was empty except for me and my party, and they closed up for the night whilst were in there (6:30 on a Monday evening). It's sad to see such a lack of business for places like the Grove and Morecambe in general. I can understand having some things frozen/pre prepared as you can't afford to have a host of fresh produce in the kitchen when you are serving one table or nobody at all in an evening. I enjoyed the food to an extent and I'm sure if business were better the food could be even nicer. Worth a look if you like classic British food (meat, veg and a heck of a lot of gravy!).

• Visited July 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Cheshire, UK
“Very over priced for tasteless food!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

I have been to the Grove numerous times and really enjoyed the food. Within the last two years or so the the owner has taken a back seat and the staff run it for her. On my recent visits I have found the prices have gone through the roof and the food is rather tasteless.
Today I had what I always have and that was a roast beef dinner. The beef was delicious and plentiful as usual but all the vegetables were very disappointing, tastless and lacked seasoning. The roast potatoes were very pale in colour and needed a chain saw to cut through them. For the price you pay it was very disappointing.
Normally the home made soup is very tasty but again this seemed to have changed also and contained a lot of "Shredded" veg, lacked seasoning and in general not nice!

I leave it a while for my next visit, that's even if I decide to return !

• Visited July 2012